You know you're a gardener when ... part 2

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

We have lots to say on this subject! So here is a new thread.
We came from here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1053959/#new

You know you are a gardener when you get a doggie bag ... for the compost pile.

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

You know you're a gardener when you grow flowers, but are eager for the blooms to turn brown and die so you can collect more seeds!

Seed Trading: You know you're a seed saver when ...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1136999/

Seed Trading: You know you're a seed saver when ... (Thread #2)
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1150113/

Thumbnail by RickCorey_WA Thumbnail by RickCorey_WA
Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Hi again, now we have three of these. Mauryhill made one also. Check out my new thread.

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

Whoops, sorry, didn't see the link.

Springfield, OR(Zone 8a)

Can't find the other link.....so posting here!

You know you're a gardener when...as you're rolling down the sidewalk you stop, whip out your folding pocket pruners and de-sucker trees on public access land, or hack back some blackberries threatening to snag other rollers-down-the-sidewalk (who can't step off the curb to get around).

Or, I suppose, when your non-gardening mother sends you said pruners just knowing you'll have a use for them, lol.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

I get those urges myself. LOL

Springfield, OR(Zone 8a)

So glad to know I'm not alone :~D

I sometimes roll on sidewalks for miles (up to about 15) , so I really do carry and whip out my pruners. Blackberry attack is everywhere! (With side benefits!)

And I have to echo what somebody posted somewhere about washing dishes by hand because it is the only way to get fingernails clean. I really thought I was alone on that one, hee hee.

Glad to know you're still out there Willowwind.

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

You know you are a gardener when... you are on vacation in a rental house and weed and deadhead the garden, and sprinkle the columbine seeds around! Yup I laughed at myself and did it anyway.

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

You know you are a gardener when...

you save seeds from a volunteer Columbine even though you didn't like the color, and would uproot it if you could bring yourself to uproot any plant (other than the worst weeds).

Corey you are hilarious as always.
May your seeds always sprout, and your cuttings always root.

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Thank you! And the same wishes back to you, plus "may your slugs all go play in the street".

Actually, back when I tried to root cuttings, all they did was rot.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Love your sense of humor, Rick!

Vashon, WA(Zone 8b)

You know you are a gardener when...

you water the garden even when rain is predicted for the following day, just to make sure it really does rain.

you go to the garden center in the rain because you know it will be less crowded and you will be able to sit and chat with the proprietor about cool plant geek lore without interrupting business.

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

>> just to make sure it really does rain.

I know what you mean! We had zero rain all through July, so I finally added enough irrigation sprayers that I don't have to hand water.

It's been raining lightly all day. I'm sure that was a direct result!

MHF I did the same, but I picked nurseries that have large indoor sections. Even then I wandered out into the rain for a bit. I spent the whole day yesterday moving my sprinklers around. Tonight and today I have had about 0.5" rain. That is not quite enough so I am not too unhappy about watering yesterday. I got a rain gauge last year and it has been quite useful so I know if the drizzlies actually are enough. Sometimes it drizzles for 24 hours but it's only 0.1" of water. However it turns out I don't really need the gauge- I recommend getting on the Weather Underground website. If you pick a weather station near your house (someone has one less than half a mile from me), then set it as your home location. Then you can click on the name of the station, and ALL the accumulated date is there for you to find-temp/rain/wind etc. I have been watching and the rainfall is really close enough to my gauge. They even have some kind of program that tweaks the NWS forecast for the particular station based on prior data, and it works pretty good.

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

These are my favorite weather inks:

Degree Day Calculator by Zip Code
www.weather.com/outdoors/agriculture/growing-degree-days/98204:4

Weather Underground
www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=Everett,%20Washington

The Weather Channel 30-Day Weather
www.weather.com/outlook/health/fitness/monthly/98204?month=0

The Weather Channel Garden Tips
www.weather.com/activities/homeandgarden/garden/index.html

Sunset Climate Zones
www.sunset.com/garden/climate-zones/climate-zones-intro-us-map-00400000036421/

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

Thanks for the heads up about Weather Underground. I just signed up, though it turns out that my nearest station is in Neotsu, right on the coast at 88 feet above sea level. So it's not really applicable to my mountain aerie at 500 feet.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.