What is the real name of this plant anyone?

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Hey All,

I was given this plant a couple of years ago and was told it was an "Alligator Plant". I have never pulled any information up showing a plant that looks like this as an Alligator plant?!!!

It got tall last year and I cut it back and made 6 more of them that rooted readily and are growing. It is viciously thorny like a some Holly leaves at all the leave points. The leaves get a foot and a half long...

It is now forming a flower bud of some sort and I have thought it might be some sort of Mahonia? Anyway, I would really like to know its real name so I can research it more. Its odd and I love the plant!

Thank you,

David

This message was edited Mar 24, 2013 11:57 AM

Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand
Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Plant does look vicious but interesting!!!!!
Not a clue what it is.

Jacksonville, FL

Try Acanthus montanus, known as Alligator Plant, Bear's Breeches and the Mountain Thistle.

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

You nailed it right on the head Plant Thang!

Thank you much for helping me to identify this plant. I really am looking forward to the flower spike developing now after being able to research it a bit. The spike is more impressive then I was hoping for! Now I like the plant even more...

It seems to take the cold well and a woodland garden setting so far for me. After more research I may find other uses and areas for it.

Thank you again and Happy Gardening. You guys in Jax are getting some nice rain this weekend. Lucky you!

Gotta watch out for Plant_Thang (and his lovely wife)!!!!!! Together they are double trouble.

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Are you Plant Thangs wife Q? It would be cool if you were,... and you did open the door for speculation!!! Ha!

Great answers are great, and I have to say the more I have been researching this plant;...from the medicinal uses and interesting flower stalks,...I am Really liking it.

I have discovered that it does actually like shadier locations in our 9B climate, and this is the first time its put up a bloom bud. I'm surprised that its happening now though after being able to research the plant more...

...Many sites recommend the shade but say it usually blooms during Summer and Fall.

Strange things happen and plant cycles seem different for many plants here in Central Florida (from what researched information tells) for other plants here too I have noticed over time...

Now I know!..........................(Psss,...... "Who is Mrs. Plant Thang? HaHaHa!...just having fun. ( No really,.... Who?,....Does She have her own name here on DG?)

LOL, and Happy Rainy days. Your gardens will look twice as beautiful tommorrow...!

David

This message was edited Mar 24, 2013 4:35 PM

Ni, I am NOT Mrs Plant-Thang, but if he sees that, he will be rolling on the floor!!!!! His DH used to be on Dave's and was 1 of the 1st people I met in FL. She has supplied me with many cuttings over the years.

Just hope the grass seed will take root before the weeds go crazy.

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Aw,....Just mow and grow that lawn and dream for the best!

Grass is great,... but as long as something growing down there that can be mowed with it is green, and covers the sand,.... is a plus!.... Sometimes it just blends...and I hope everyone is so distracted by the plants they forget to notice whats under their feet. Ha!

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Mr. Plant Thang--do you remember giving me a red passion vine when we were on the way home from Linda's RU in Jacks.
Well it is still growing and hopefully it will climb right up my huge cedar tree out front in back of my angel statue. Will make a beautiful backdrop. Thanks again.

Any chance you and your wife could come down for RU this coming Sat. ?? I know you have a ton of plants but just maybe I have something you don't have and would like.

Bonnie

Jacksonville, FL

Bonnie,

Glad to hear the red grapeleaf passie is still going, just bought DW a nice lavender one. They get huge so it should love your cedar.

We won't be able to make it down this time, "the boss" has been under the weather and is crippled up, but she's working hard with her nursery plants and has more now than ever. You can barely get thru our backyard, forget mowing, and she's keeping me busy making up her potting soil and toting pots around. If you get back up this way, stop by and check it out.

Charlie

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Charlie, ask your DW if she wants to try and trade plants with me.

Jacksonville, FL

Kay,

She's always trading plants with someone, belongs to that World Garden site and sends out seeds. Right now she's doing cuttings and collecting stock plants, has plans to open a grower's nursery next spring. What kind of plants are you interested in, this woman likes everything.

Charlie

Charlie, I'll dmail you.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Charlie,
Considering what your backyard looked like for plants I'd say she has a great start for a nursery. If I remember correctly wasn't it your yard that was bordered with that lousy potatoe vine all over. Thats enough to keep anybody busy just trying to control it.

You also gave me some water lettuce which now is enough for both the old pond and newer larger one. I coral it inside of a hoola hoop with screen sewn to it cause it blocks up the skimmer and pump can't get water down inside of it it I just let it float around which I wish I could. Koi like to nibble on it but that can't be. I have a large plant of water celery which I intend to put some it a pot and put in large pond and I know they will enjoy nibbling on that.

Enjoyed meeting you and wife. Keep on gardening keeps you young and gives you good things to eat.

Bonnie

Jacksonville, FL

Bonnie

We're still fighting those air potatoes and they're winning! The best we can do is keep them (so far) on the other side of the fencing. Your Koi would enjoy that water lettuce, it's a shame it messes up pumps. Yes, DW does have a lot of plants around here and she recently got a couple dozen heirloom ROS stock plants and told me she's got another 40 shrubs of some kind on their way. She's planning to do wholesale growing. Gotta head off to work.

Kay, I told her to D-mail you.

Charlie

Thank you!!!

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Air potatoes and greenbriars, the bain of my existance. And yes, they too are winning.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.