You know you are a gardener when: #2

Vashon, WA(Zone 8b)

I'm trying to get a new thread started on this topic at Willow's request, as the other was becoming exceedingly long.

We came from here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1053959/

Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

Okay, I'll join in.

You know you are a gardener when: you lean in to give your spouse a kiss, and you spear him/her in the eye with a branch that is caught in your hair.

Vashon, WA(Zone 8b)

Ow!! That sounds painful! I hope he recovered without needing a trip to the emergency room. How bad was it?
Those pesky branches do tend to attach themselves to me also when diving into large bushy shrubs either to weed or to prune. Happens more on warm days in the spring, when I am less likely to be wearing a hat.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Thanks Mauryhill for updating the page. You can dmail me instruction when you have time. Doing good with my weeding.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

You know you're a gardener when your floor is dirty and it is real garden dirt, carried in by you and your animals!

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Yes real mud keeps the dust from flying around.

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Ohhhh! I rely on having a healthy herd of dustballs at all times. They browse on the dust and keep it down.

Sometimes I have to cull the herd when guests come over. It's sad, but they do re-populate.

Salem, OR(Zone 8b)

maury--no ER visit necessary. We laughed.

You know you are a gardener when: you would rather show people your yard than the inside of your house.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

That hit the laugh button and oh so true.

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

... you & your significant other have separate compost piles because of significant disagreement on how they should be handled.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

....you are WAY over budget for the month but you STILL find the money for one more plant - who needs to feed the kids, anyway!

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

Summerkid- LOL. Can you picture what the marriage counselor would think if you brought that up as your problem! Yet if the counselor was a gardener the argument might start all over again, with three strong opinions! And what would the counselor think when you announce he gave you a really big pile of s___ for your birthday!

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

You hit a tad close to home, mlm!
When Jack & I finally combine households this fall, it will be quite the challenge. I'm here at the Kankakee (Illinois) house right now and aggravated by "his" kitchen. WHY was the potato masher with the barbecue toolz and HOW was I supposed to make hummus without my Vitamix?!

And I can just imagine HIS thought process. His 1st instinct is to say "No, you can't do that!" Like, "No, you can't keep the cardboard box from my mail-order seeds. Cardboard goes in the recycling."
I did not choose to fight over the cardboard box (which I wanted for "my" compost pile). But he must have thought something along the lines of "Did I just deny my beloved a cardboard box, for crying out loud?" Because later in the evening he handed it to me & muttered, "Just don't let stuff like this pile up."

Yeah, someday we'll probably be telling a marriage counselor, "Well, there was the cardboard box incident, and then ..."

But wouldn't it be a wonderful world if, as you said, everyone had a strong opinion about compost?!

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Hi Summer. Congrats on your upcoming challenge.

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

Thanks, Willow! It will be like your starting over with the new garden. I hope I take it all in stride like you seem to have.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

My DH and I have been married 39 years. He is 80 and I am 70. My sister got married 2 years ago. She is 66 and he is 83. She said to me, "Oh my goodness, how do you live with an old man?"

I told her there was a big difference between them and us. We grew old together. And we changed together. She married a man that had been a widower for a long time and she moved into his home. They rented her home.

So summerkid, keep your sense of humor. And know right away, you two do not march to the same drummer.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

I agree that living with an old man is a challenge. Mine went into a nursing home yesterday to recover from a heart attack. Don't know if he will be coming home again. He is 81 and I am 74. His Parkinsons makes hin physically difficult and his dementia make everything difficult. HIs Diabetes ices the cake. LOL

Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

Oh no, Willow! A heart attack, boy. I truly hope for whatever is the best outcome for you. But maybe a breather at this time of year is not such a bad thing?

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

One of those things that is both a blessing and a curse. I get to catch up on my rest and get some things done but I miss his company.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

I with Willow. They do not do much but they are there.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

LOL

Thumbnail by Willowwind2
Rose Lodge, OR(Zone 8b)

How precious that after all this time & with all the obstacles, you are lonely for your sweetie! Lucky you. Lucky him!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.