Black Flamingo Plant

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

hey Floridians :)

today is so nice and warm. beautiful.

i was digging in an old empty (just soil) container that had my last few black flamingos http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/72716/#b tucked into. most of them had died in last year's winter after i neglected to water and cover them. i tried to save a few and planted them in this container, but didn't make it too much past winter of last year either. they disappeared for over a year.
i thought they died, but there they are, small corm looking roots, they reminded me of glads. they are very alive and now i gave them a new home, full of attention and water.

just thought i would share...they are tough and seem to last a long time under poor conditions..

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

I have had Gloriosa Lillies that have played that "Dead act" with me too CZP. Thanks for bringing my attention to this cool plant!

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

it's great that they are alive, but pulling a stunt like that, we should learn to put them in time out - haha!

you're welcome, isn't it unusual! my neighbor had it and i had never seen it before. Home Depot has them, mostly later spring and summer

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

Quote from DavidofDeLand :
I have had Gloriosa Lillies that have played that "Dead act" with me too CZP. Thanks for bringing my attention to this cool plant!

Hi David,

When does your Glory Lily "play dead"? I bought one a couple of years ago and it seemed to die during the summer and I thought I lost it. The next two winters, it popped back up and bloomed. Mine seems to grow well when it is cooler out and doesn't seem to like the heat.

Thumbnail by shauna1219 Thumbnail by shauna1219 Thumbnail by shauna1219
Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

I had a bunch of those last year, too - mine haven't returned yet. I guess I could dig around in the pot and see if I find any live roots.

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

... You know Shauna,...

It actually seems like mine have been acting like yours,...Less Summer and more cool for happiness. I found a bulb by accident in the ground that I had forgotten about and for the heck of it,...slapped it down under the Fig tree.... It might be a mistake or it could be fun!....Of course that will depend on it not playing dead until I forget it again, and then a year from now it decides to say, "Hello" again! Ha!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.