Need help identifying shade loving bush

Alexandria, VA

I planted this bush but lost the name. Its beautiful and has sweet smelling flowers. It is ever green. Does anyone recognize the bush. I would love to plant another one. I always save the name tags but not this time :

Thumbnail by margaretbartel
Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Hi Margaret, I think it is a winter blooming dephne odora, very nice smell and it is very rear to find. I see them here in Ga. Etelka

Alexandria, VA

You are absolutely right. I love this bush and it is really thriving in a sunny spot when the trees are not in bloom, sheltered by my house from the winter wind and shaded from the hot Virginia summer sun. gonna plant another one !! Thanks!

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

Your plant is the cultivar 'aureomarginata'. With wispy yellow variegation on the leaf edges.
You can also get the non-variegated plant with straight green leaves.
And there's a new cultivar called Mae jima, which has more striking gold leaf margins.
I don't know how to put in a link with the picture, but you should google it - it's really striking.
It's not as commonly available at your average nursery, but is widely available on-line.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Here's a link to it on Plant Files: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/122854/#b

Alexandria, VA

thanks weerobin--I did find just that cultivar on line so hopefully it will grace my garden this year. Most daphnes were sold out. They are slow growers and I see picky about being transplanted so hopefully it will be happy in the same general area as my first bush.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.