What's Happening in your neck of the woods/chat with friends

Thunder Bay Ontario, ON(Zone 3a)

The JOYS of being a MOTHER .. not

Murray is in pre op waiting to go into surgery for 9am. The OR is booked for 2.5 hours
He's quite UP .. chatted with him for a good long time from 6am to 7am almost .. spoke with Alison (DIL) as well, but, between the 2 of us I don't know who cried more LoL.
So, good old Gordon will be the one to call her after Murray is out of surgery and he has spoken to the surgeon.
Thoughts and prayers appreciated.

We have DRIFTS !! The wind came up yesterday afternoon, with a vengance .. I'll go out and LOOK at it, but, I don't know if I'll shovel, I'm paying for what I did yesterday :-(

Trying to keep busy, planning to make an apple crisp and a sausage pudding ..

Best get on with it

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Prayers for Gordon and I think both of you and his wife need 'hugs'
Let us know as soon as you get news please.

We didn't get lots of snow, few drifts, guess we are lucky..did the countdown this morning to 'spring' winter is now behind us..not sure anybody told Mother Nature, will have to quickly send her an e-mail!

Counting sleeps before I leave for Florida, 2 more to go..looking forward to it, perhaps by the time I'm back most of the snow will be gone, if not then shortly after.

NO shovelling "M"

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Marilyn - praying for Murray, and SO glad he's "up" about the surgery, etc.
Glad to hear you're realizing you "paid" for the shovelling yesterday. It sounds as you know you won't be shovelling today.

Betty - I feel your excitement over going to FL! I just know that you'll be coming back to No Snow in Ontario. Have a safe trip :-)

As always, thanks for T&Ps .. Gord just called, all is done and Murray is fine. The surgeon was pleased to work on him as Murray does not smoke or drink, he told Gord that that's rare these days.

He'll be in recovery room for a couple of hours, then onto his room ... should be in for another 2 days .. guess it all hinges on whether he tolerates food.

HUGE sigh of relief ^_^

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Oh yes......... Huge sigh of relief here too. What good news! Sure is nice to know that clean living helps for his surgery!! :-)

Victoria Harbour, ON

Wonderful news "M"
Before you know it he'll be home so you can see for yourself!

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Betty - as you saw by the link, you had the name right. I was just still calling it the Toronto Island Airport. Makes sense to give it a name and Billy Bishop is a good one. Better him than a politician.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Good morning! Made Peanut Butter Tea Bread in my bread maker - and there's fresh coffee brewed!

Going to take Bob to work (early) and later will be going to Bible Study.

PNut butter tea bread sounds awesome Susan !! Can we have the recipe ?

Must be 2013, who PHONES anymore LoL .. have been texting Murray for a bit this morning, he's feeling much better, has been up a few times .. the surgeon is by far one of the MOST attentive I have heard of. He spent a half hour with Gordon telling him how the surgery went, and just chatting in general. He has seen Murray THREE times since the surgery .. mind boggling, in TBay they become invisible and usually send their colleagues in (intern or resident)

Off to lunch with my best friend today .. Jo-Anne's hubby is having a hip replacement this coming Monday. Chose to have it done in Dryden a small community about 300 miles west of here, because he could get in 3 months earlier .. the surgeon is from Thunder Bay (he would be the one I would chose were I to have a hip replacement) but, he goes to Dryden in order to get MORE OR time to do these procedures. All political (what isn't)!

You must be getting so excited Betty! Are you flying down and driving back ? I hear you on the intricasies of Billy Bishop Airport .. I think the most importnat thing is to TRAVEL LIGHT .. because you have to manage your luggage.

TTFN

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning..

Susan, thanks, tasting good with my Timmie's coffee!

snowing here this morning (has been every day this week) just enough for us to say 'enough it's spring'

Great news about Murray, guess he'll be on schedule then and heading home tomorrow or Saturday?

Travelling light I thought I was doing..new sewing machine I bought at Christmas needs repair, imagine, had a Janome 9000 that i bought 20 years ago, no problems..bought Husqvarna Saphire 835 at Christmas, used it 3 times, ooops not working and the warrantee doesn't apply here in Canada..by the time I bought a case for it to fit in AND pay for baggage likely I could have fixed it here.

Not excited at all, not sure why, still have that feeling of waiting for a shoe to drop..yikes, not fond of that feeling at all. Yes, will be driving home, Darlene doesn't do major highway driving for any duration of time so I took her down and now I pick her up.

She will be wanting to come home the quickest route and I'd love to take a bit of time and go a different route..wonder if she'd notice I did it..lol

Enjoy your visit with Jo-Anne, prayers for her hubby..maybe he will have an attentive doctor as did Murray. Had a friend who lived in Dryden, Bryan Jacques, he loved it but then his father/mother fell ill and he moved back into my region.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Actually, it's not Peanut Butter - I have some Almond Butter (no nuts, so added almonds), and it's good! Nothing like a fresh loaf of homemade bread to have with morning coffee!! I'll post the recipe later. Need to get ready for Bible Study, and have some other stuff to do........

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning all,

Sipping coffee, looking at the snow, light dusting last night,waiting for airport limo and wondering why I just didn't drive myself to airport..could have slept in till 5:oo at least.

Darlene says temps aren't bad..looking forward to sitting on the beach tonight..already plans to drop sewing machine off at Joann's in ft Myers, do the flea market and go out for supper..I say I'm taking Darlene out for her birthday which was Tuesday and she says she is taking me out for my 65th.,guess it works out to be 'going Dutch' right. Lol

"M" hope Murray is well enough to be making trip home

Susan, you are turning into Susie homemaker, what is for breakfast this morning?

Waving to all others..bet there is some planting of seeds going on??

Victoria Harbour, ON

Omg what a morning so far, no snow at home but Barrie had quite the blizzard, roads were terrible!

Airport limo didn't pick me up until 4am, 1 hr late..went to call to see where they were, no dial tone, just a hmmm..wifi and satellite were ok..oh well, will deal with it when I get home.

Then I stand in a line up only to be asked the address I'm going to..dah, with Darlene picking me up who would hunk I needed address..no address no travelling..stupid of me..so off I went to find a phone, woke Darlene up..back in the lineup.

Start in a lineup at customs..agent cheques my passport, asked me how come I come across the border so often..told him I wanted to become an honorary USA citizen..solemn face he had..lol

Got in a lineup for baggage, got it on the conveyer, attendant saw 'fragile' off it came had to walk to another area, put it through a screener, attendant wanted to know what was in it..another story to be told...FINALLY I'm sitting at entry where I catch my plane..I'm tired out

Read more: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1303624/#ixzz2OGYqs5Wd

My gosh Betty, what a way for 'the other shoe to fall' felling you were having !!
I find the security people plain rude ..
Imagine wanting to know an ADDRESS .. beats me for sure, have they never heard of a SPONTANEOUS trip south, not that yours was spontaneous, but others might be.

Murray is struggling, he wants to stay in hospital one more day as he is not feeling 'up to par', they aren't liking his request .. tough .. he's from out of town, suck it up ..
We'll see wht happens ..

Nice temps and SUN here ^_^

~M~

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Hi all
"M" sending you and Murray Huggs.
"B" wishing you a smoother sail.
"T" what are you having this morning ?? you have been making me hungry.

Waving from under a BIG pile of snow from Edmonton. I bet we had 12 inches of the stuff!
Big accident on HWY from Calgary to Edmonton yesterday news reports vary with 60-100 cars involved and up to 300 people hurt, most minor. It was between Leduc and the wetaskiwin turn off. DH cleaned sidewalks for over 2 hours last night, whew.

Yes some seeds are in. A big selection from ViAnn's hostas that are poking there little heads up and the Eucalyptus that takes so darn long to get going. I will wait a bit for the tomatoes and others. Newly purchased Cannas are poking up with good success ,(my over wintering this year bombed with them). Over wintered Geraniums are going well and I will take some cuttings soon. My Ribbon Bush that I kept as a house plant is doing well so I can get cuttings from her too. Yes spring is coming! YEAH.

Alberta Ann

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Betty - you've had quite the time leaving Canada! an hour late for the taxi? Unforgivable at that time of the morning...... he likely slept in!
and what a run-around you had..... address, "fragile", "honourary citizen" yikers!!

Not baking today - having some of what I baked yesterday, and day before. I had Apple Pie bread with Cheez Whiz (heated bread in the toaster first - not toasted) yummmm

Now I'm working on Bob's computer. When techs "linked into" his system to find out why it wasn't allowing their Security software to install, his printer "went south". I've uninstalled/reinstalled it...... forget how many times.... and it keeps giving me an error. I even deleted all reference to the printer in the Registry (yes, I backed up the system first), but still no luck. Going to link into an HP techie to see if they can fix it. We've only had the printer 10 months, so still under warranty.
Here goes another 3 hours, eh? lol

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning all, can't say from sunny Florida as I don't know what today's weather will bring, just know it has to be better than home!!

Purpledixie56 previous thread the following ;

Hi from south Ontario. You're pansy is looking a little sad. I would too living in this snow. Will we have spring? I also read your other blog on groundhog day. Did you hear in the States, someone is trying to sue their groundhog because he messed up so badly this year? Zone 6a

Welcome PurpleDixie56' wanted to respond to your post using your first name but could not find you listed in main listing..look forward to more posts.

Lol, guess people sue over anything! Weather will warm up shortly, guess we just have to be patient..so nice travelling the area here and seeing all the colorful and in bloom shrubs/plants..

"M" hope they kept Murray another day..the doctors should realize that if a patient asks to stay one more day then surely it's needed.

Alberta Ann, that must have been one heck of an accident..so many injured and the loss of lives, was it due to white-outs?

must check out what a ribbon bush is..now how did I know you would be ahead of the game with planting..do you also winter sow?

Susan, the extent of my computer slavey is how to turn it ..yikes, sounds like you need someone technical to help out!

Welcome to PurpleDixie ^_^

Glad you made it to Florida Betty .. ENJOY !!

It has been a stressful 24 hours .. Murray did get discharged, but, it was because he started to 'pass gas', once that happened, he felt 75% better.
BUT .. he and his Dad decided to try to change their flight home from Tuesday to Sunday. We KNEW it would be $75./tcket to change but that was OK .. BUT .. Porter also wanted another $500.00 !!! Well .. I was furious ..
So .. I'm just making this short, they'll be coming home on Monday :-(
Believe me, I was on the phone, with whoever I could catch on a Friday afternoon at 5pm at Porter .. bottom line, too bad so sad ..
Today I had an email that did nothing but make me seethe .. and I want to remind everyone, PLEASE READ THE FINE FINE FINE print on your tickets .. live, and, learn!

Bright sunny day here in Thunder Bay .. supposed to get up to about +3C
Snow is melting, and MUDDY PAWS seem to be the order of the day ..

Take care

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Frustrating for sure "M"

Been dealing with husqvarna sewing machine issues..need warrantee and told warrante pe only good in USA where it was purchased...hellllooo, warrantee card had USA and a Canadian registration address so know how you are feeling trying to fight the powers that be.

Guess you don't want to hear its in the high 80's, humid, light breeze.

Enjoying strawberries and corn

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Hi Purpledixie!! Welcome - I'm Susan

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Hi Purpledixie56. I'm Ann.

Victoria Harbour, ON

ViAnn, too funny, Joyce (Joycet) from Ohio is coming to visit mid May with a few girls..she asked me if I thought your hosta's would be out and could we take a drive..her gardens are to die for and a collector of hosta's as well

not sure that she knows just how far I am from you. Lol

Just got back from the beach..gotta love the ocean at this time of year!

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Lucky you, Betty - going to the beach!
It's minus 3c here... and sunny tho!

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

LOL, Betty. If you feel like taking a "drive" this far, you'd be very welcome. Or better yet, send her and the girls on east to the Nation's Capital!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Only coming for 4 or 5 days..I'm teaching them a craft, not sure which and Joyce is doing a class in hypertufa mushrooms..lime will be limited..I'm going to be working from home that week so that I can spend some time with them but hoping one day to be able to sightsee in Toronto

Betty, your visitors will have a wonderful time with you as their hostess ^_^
Would be nice if the group could visit Toronto .. lots of plays on in the spring/summer months.
The beach sounds perfect, but, you can have the humidity LoL, can almost feel my hair curling up as I typed that word!

All is a go for the arrival home tomorrow of the 'Stephenson Men' via Porter (last time anyone in our family will travel with that airline)
They arrive at 10am .. unfortunatley as I have a doctor's appt, and Alison (DINL) is working, her parents will pick up the boys and take them to Murray's home. After my appt with the rheumatologist I will go and retrieve Gordon and bring him home ^_^
Good old Murphy strikes again re my appt being in conflict with the arrival time, the whole rest of the week is BLANK for appts !!
Going to make a pineapple AngelFood cake, so, I best get at it ..

TTFN

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Am looking forward "M" to Joyce's visit..think her friend travelling with her are garden group friends and not on Dg..sure with Taynors could have tagged along.

Will urge me on to get yard,gardens raked and cleaned..

Joyce was at the house when I had dg reunion last year..I've been to her place several times sooo will be like old home time gathering.

You will feel so much better having Murray and Gordon back..aren't we like old mother hens. Lol. Is he feeling a tad better?

Just came in from sitting in the sun..thankfully the breeze helps..not overly humid

Will wait until 2 or 3 and head to the beach..Darlene is a pool person and I love the beach..don't mind going alone.

She has been packing up belongings that will remain here in the place that she bought. Little by little we should be ready to head north Thursday providing no blizzard warning anywhere..not a long enough vacation but best I can do when I want summer and Christmas holidays

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Hi all

This is the book we've been studying in Bible Study. Our pastor sent us a link to an interview with Elaine Pagels.
http://www.pbs.org/wnet/religionandethics/episodes/february-24-2012/elaine-pagels-on-the-book-of-revelation/10372/

Short note .. my 'boys' are home and happy to be home ..

Had my doc's appt and am on referral list for an orthopedic surgeon to have a hip replacement (r hip) not happy, but, the psoriatic arthritis has eaten up all the cartiage in my right hip, nuttin I can do about it .. except worry :-(
Could be close to a year .. don't exactly know how I'll make it that long ..

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

oh my...... Marilyn - happy your boys are home, but not happy about the worry you have re: long wait time for hip replacement!! Prayers for you, dear sistah!!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Afternoon/evening,
Just got back from the beach, I'm cooking corn, Darlene is bbq'ing..easy living!

"M" glad the boys are home, you can breathe a sigh of relief.,both must be exhausted.

Think you suspected the operation would be a must.sad that once they diagnose the problem it can't be done immediately, it's the waiting that is more than stressful. Perhaps if it gets to an emergency situation they will get you in sooner..

SOunds like you're having a great time Betty .. enjoy that sun and the sand ^_^

Gord and Murray were very pleased to be home, Murray's dogs apparently went cuckoo, and ours went ballistic when Gord walked in the door.

To say the least i am not too happy with the diagnosis and the procedure to 'fix it'. I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis in October, and, since then it has destroyed my right hip, which is why I take 'that drug' every Friday so as to prevent any further damage occuring to other joints.

And, so it goes

~M~

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

"M" pleased to hear your Boys are home I bet that is a relief for you. Re the hip, I agree with Betty that waiting is stressful!
"B" please enjoy that sun for me too.

Some seeds are up and now have some cuttings going that were purchased from a G House in Edmonton. Will have to be carefull with the amount of stuff started as the inside room is not as good as the backyard G house. Still have 4 feet of Snow around that so just a tad cold to put stuff in it yet.
New Canna's are all growing and begonias are off to a good start.
See you later.
Ann

Victoria Harbour, ON

You are well on your way then, am sure the seedlings take up a good portion of a room. So you start them in the house, then into greenhouse then in the gardens, will be world travellers by the time they are mature. Lol

We're trying to figure out WHEN to plant our tomato seeds. If we start them too soon, they tend to get gangly and don't do well .. am kinda thinking mid May as by mid June (planting time) they'd be OK .. have to read the packages of seeds.

Have been kinda 'down in the dumps' .. being 'house bound' is simply NOT me .. I plan to go out tomorrow .. just have to take it easy and GO SLOW .. now my biggest fear is falling .. !!
Ahh well, it'll all work out.

Supposed to hit +7C here today !! Will definitley be out on the patio shuffling around and enjoying the sun :-)

Ann .. love hearing about how your seeds are doing, you have had so much snow in and around Edmonton !!

TTFN

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Hope you can get out soon, Marilyn! Have you thought of winter sowing your tomatoes?

It's supposed to get to +9 today! Guess your snow has melted, eh?

Ann - aren't you getting rid of Your snow yet?

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

"M" I find that the tomatoes are such good growers that I like to keep them cooler once they germinate and I have the lights set just 2 inches from the top set of leaves. I have a fan blowing the air around them but not on them for stem strength. If you are doing the window method I think they can get leggy unless you can put them in a basement window where they will be cooler. If they do get leggy plant them on their sides in a trough instead of down. You can overlap two past each other and gently bent the top growth to come out of the soil. The tomatoes are a plant that will grow roots around their main stalk if the soil is warm. When you dig deep lots of time the soil is too cold yet and your plant can be set back.

Our snow is taking it's time to go away and we still have a ton of it everywhere. The G house is warm and all the snow is gone from the roof but it's piled on the sides to about 4 feet. I have taken to sitting in it when I get home from work just to destress for 15 minutes or so.

Bye for now
Alberta Ann

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

What a wonderful way to de-stress, Ann!!
I've seen the bending of the bottom of the stalk into the ground before, Ann - good idea! Then, as you say, you get more roots and a stronger plant!

I'm going to have to RE Google 'winter sowing'. As it stands now, I think I might be a bit late.
I'm kind of thinking I'll be doing hanging baskets and pots as opposed to 'bending down' gardening this year .. Lorna will plant Cannas for sure, we let the ones last year stay in the ground too long, so, they died :-(
I usually plant Morning Glory from seed (LOVE them) and, sometimes, Sweet peas, they make such pretty and fragrant boquets.

So nice out today .. +9C .. had the windows open for just a bit ^_^
Snow is melting rapidly AND the city's POT HOLES are popping up .. jeeeze, some are SO DEEP !!!!!!!!

Off to play Scrabble

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

I have some "hanging" tomato bags that I think I'll use this year - now that Bob's put that 17ft overhang beside our outside wall, I can do this!
oh, and I have one of those bags for potatoes, too!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.