Please help- Cassia

Port Richey, FL(Zone 9a)

Hello, I need help please. Does anyone know why my cassia tree has this mold/fungus on it? Today I was trimming it when I noticed dark tunnels inside the branches as well. When I cut into it again I noticed an ant type insect living inside the branch and eggs in there too. As you can see in the photo, the branches look like straws i never noticed this before. This is an off shoot of the mother that had died. The mother tree just died out in about 2-3 yrs, I knew back then that something killed it, but I didn't know what it was. Now I find this and these insects and I'm assuming that, that is the reason why the mother tree died? Does anyone know about these trees.....please help!

Thumbnail by Nefitara Thumbnail by Nefitara
DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

I am wishing I had an answer to your question Nef.

I am hoping someone here might be able to help you though. I have never had that experience before with my Cassias.... Just wanted you to know I looked!

Port Richey, FL(Zone 9a)

Aww, that was nice of you David...thanks! I hope someone can answer my question.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

Sorry I have been growing them only one year so I can not help either

Tampa, FL(Zone 9b)

I did some research online and found this info...hope it helps.

Pests
The butterfly bush normally is not seriously damaged by disease or pests, but some insects do exist that feed on the plant and contribute to a decline or yellowing of its foliage. A variety of caterpillars enjoy feasting on the leaves in the fall, while injured or stressed cassia may be infested with trunk borers. These insects chew into the wood of the tree producing holes that disrupt the flow of water and nutrition to the leaves.

http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2013/jan/25/doug-caldwell-fungus-causing-rust-disease-in/

This link contains specific information about tree borers: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/mg007

Shauna

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Nefitara,
I have quite a few cassia but haven't had this particularly problem with them yet.
Possibly some systemic placed around the base might kill those insects and a lot of folks use Bayer drench on their shrubs that are buggy.

I have such good luck with cassia. When they break off I just poke them into the ground and off they go.

I found out one thing about ants, they can kill a big oak tree once it gets completely infested. Especially those big red carpenter ants. Had some on a new oak that is now 25 feet tall and sprayed them with plain old ant killer and it got rid of them and saved my beautiful oak.

Hope you can get rid of those bugs whatever they are.
Bonnie

Port Richey, FL(Zone 9a)

Shauna1219 Thank You!! That sounds like what is going on with my tree. I'll read more about it. Thanks so much!!

Port Richey, FL(Zone 9a)

Bonnie, that is awesome. I'm glad that worked for you....I might try that. The insects I saw looked like an ant, but one I've never saw before, they were weird looking. And I know about those carpenter ants, they killed an old tree I had in about a year. And I found out they bite...nasty little things. Thank you for the advice!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.