Frozen Meyer Lemon buds

Inniswold, LA(Zone 9a)

I have a Meyer lemon that had bunches of young bloom and leaf buds. About two weeks ago, we had a hard freeze (about 26 degrees which is a hard freeze in Baton Rouge). All of the leaf buds turned brown but few of the bloom buds did (or so it seemed). Well the bloom buds started falling off even though they looked ok at first and then turned brown. Only about 10% survived and seem viable.

So the question is, do I just pick off the rest of the blooms so the tree can "start over" and risk eliminating all potential fruit or just let it ride?

Vista, CA

I always just wait and see where the new growth starts back before i do any pruning. Some of the leaves may wither slowly, too, but the best way is to just wait and see.The newest, lushest, growth suffers more than the harder wood,

Ernie

Lisle, IL(Zone 5a)

Bo-Getty, we had a 5 day long cold spell with hard freezes down to 20 and about 1/3 of my year old eureka lemon was killed, but it is putting out lots of new growth and even blooming again, so Ernie is right; let it be until all danger of frost is passed, then trim the dead wood and watch the new growth begin.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.