Clerodendrum trichotomum not blooming

Seattle, WA

I planted a Clerodendrum trichotomum in my new Seattle garden about 3 years ago and while it has taken off and flowers happily, it doesn't get any of the berries that this tree/shrub is known for. I have lots of different kinds bees in my garden, so I don't think pollination is the issue. Given the lack of berries and its tendancy to sucker, I am contemplating ripping the whole thing out. Has anyone else had this problem?

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

I looked it up in the Western Garden. It didn't mention the trichotomym type nor did it mention any of them with berries. Although it did say they all spread. I have never seen or heard of this plant. DG plant files may have it.

Seattle, WA

Thanks Willowwind2. That's odd because I found it on page 254 of the New Western Garden Book and it not an uncommon plant, especially when you see all the DG posts of people trying to identify it.

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Are you growing it for the berries? It is a great small tree in my garden (although it is somewhat aggressive that I control with pruning and herbicide) but I think I'd still want it despite no berries.

Maybe yours will set some seed this year - it seems like it took mine a few years to get to blooming stage but I don't remember if it set seed when it did bloom or not.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole Thumbnail by hcmcdole

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.