Growing Doux D'Espagne or Spanish Mammoth Pepper

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

This is the first year I am growing this variety of Pepper :Doux D'Espagne or Spanish Mammoth
from Baker Creek Seeds: http://rareseeds.com/vegetables-p-z/peppers/sweet/doux-d-espagne-or-spanish-mammoth-pepper.html

I seeded six seeds and only one germinated (January 29th). It is growing so slow.
Behind you can see a Pepper plant I started on January 11th.

Pictures 3,4 and 5: other Pepper varieties I started on January 11th.

Does anybody have any experience with this variety?

Sorry for the blurry picture. This plant didn't like to be photograph.

This message was edited Mar 6, 2013 11:02 PM

Thumbnail by drthor Thumbnail by drthor Thumbnail by drthor Thumbnail by drthor Thumbnail by drthor
San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

This will be my third year for growing this pepper. Everyone who has tasted this pepper loves it. Very productive, too. Because I love stuffed peppers so much, this will always have a place in my garden.

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Thank you so much.
Was your pepper also growing so slow?

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

It seems to grow at the same rate as the rest of the peppers that I grow. You might try a little fish fertilizer or something similar as a kick in the pants to get it going. Hang in there. Your patience will be well rewarded.

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks.
I have been treating this plant like the other peppers and it is growing 1/3 compare to the others.
Maybe it is the seed's source. I got mine from Baker Creek, do you remember where you bought your seeds?

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

Mine also came from Baker Creek. And it was seed left over from last year. Gardening is not an exact science and usually involves a certain amount of luck. Some things can't always be explained. Just do whatever you think might help. But a little extra feeding might do the trick. And I want to emphasize the word "little".

This message was edited Mar 24, 2013 1:10 PM

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Doux D'Espagne or Spanish Mammoth finally grew.
It is still half size of the other pepper plants ...
It doesn't like to be photograph ... the plant is the one on the right of this picture.

Thumbnail by drthor
Southern NJ, United States(Zone 7a)

What did you think of Doux d'Espagne? I grew it last year and liked it, but this year I had to sow it twice in my flats and so far only one has come up, from the second sowing. They were last year's seeds, but still!

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

I didn't have many peppers from this plant, but the one I did harvest were huge and so good.
The wall is really thick and they were really sweet.
I told to Baker Creek about the problem with their germination and they sent me 2 new packages. The new seeds did germinate really good this year.
The plants have been out already for a month I think ... they have green peppers maybe 5" long already.

Southern NJ, United States(Zone 7a)

That was nice of them to respond that way! If I get peppers from this seedling I'll try saving my own seeds for next year.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.