Nitrogen

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

P Allen Smith suggests putting a light mix of nitrogen on the peonies as they start to sprout. I sure don't need a lot more leaves/stems for my peonies. They are huge and fall over even though I try to give the support. Should I give my peonies some light nitrogen? Maybe the nitrogen would make the stems stronger? These are Sara Bernhardt peonies.
I have had them for more than 20 years.

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi birder17, I used a 4-10-10 (Lilly Miller Ultragreen Bulb and Bloom) on my established plants and newly planted peonies for the first time this past fall, and they really seemed to like it. The pips are larger this year, and the newly planted peonies are doing really well, my Cheddar Surprise planted in mid December is already 4-5 in tall, and has been growing during the winter which is crazy. It's being protected with pine straw mulch right now, we've been in the 20's at night here the last several days. Another one of my established peonies is 2-3 in tall and full of buds, it is now also being protected from the cold weather.

I have previously used composted manure and bone meal, and rose fertilizer, but they seem to like the Bulb and Bloom food the best. I tried this after reading it as a recommendation on the Adelman's website.

Fertilize your peonies after they emerge, and after they bloom with a fertilizer low in nitrogen. I hope you have a great bloom season this year. Annette

This message was edited Mar 6, 2013 7:06 PM

South Lake Tahoe, CA(Zone 6a)

Please post photos Cem.
Would like to think Summer when snow blowing a foot of snow today.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Thanks Annette.
Do you think fertilizing would make the stems stronger? I get "plenty" of blooms!

Edited to say: Sorry this is sideways. I sure don't know how to make it different.
If anyone would be kind enough to tell me, I would appreciate it.

This message was edited Mar 6, 2013 4:19 PM

Thumbnail by birder17
Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Birder, I don't know if the nitrogen will help the stems get stronger, I know it helps more with the foilage. I use the plant hoops around the double peonies to help support the stems. Another website recommended putting chicken wire over the plants as they emerge from the ground and as the stems and foliage grows, they lift the chicken wire around the stems and blooms to give them better support. I haven't tried this method, so I don't know how well it works, I may try it this year. The blooms of the double peonies are heavier, and I wish there truly was a method to make the stems stronger to support them.

SP, the first picture is the large pips of Lady Orchid on February 19, , the second is of tree peonies Hanakisoi, Shimadagin, and Renkaku that have been in pots since last spring, and remained outside all winter, Hanakisoi has the most leaves. The 3rd picture is of tree peony Koukaman that was planted in mid December in the garden, the 4th my noid with buds, and the 5th is Cheddar Surpise, all taken yesterday.

Birder, I also have 3 Sarah Bernhardts, and I need to show them your picture so that they know how to behave ;~). Your plants and blooms are gorgeous. What do you feed your plants?

Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165 Thumbnail by Cem9165
Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I don't feed them anything. That's why I was wondering if the N would make the stems stronger.
I use hoops for the plants for support and raise them as the peonies get larger. I have so many blooms the inside blooms rot - not enough air circulation.

Here's another pic of my peonies and a picture of the supports.

Edited to say:
Well, there's Elle Rose, Allium Purple Sensation and Peony Sarah Bernhardt.

This message was edited Mar 6, 2013 5:54 PM

Thumbnail by birder17 Thumbnail by birder17
Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

Oh my, just gorgeous. I hope someone will give the answer about how to make stronger stems. I'm thrilled to see the number of blooms you get without fertilizing. All the peony websites that I've ordered from talk about some kind of fertilizer for the peonies, yet others on this forum have mentioned not fertilizing their peonies, and getting blooms every year.

Regarding posting pictures that don't turn sideways, try resizing the picture in Windows Paint before posting them. I usually resize to 25, and my pictures are fine when posted. Best of luck with your peonies this year. Annette

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Annette, Thanks for the compliment.
I should say when we planted the peonies we gave them lots of manure and compost per directions. They say they are heavy feeders. They have been there for more than 20 years so I would think that would be gone. Of course, as you know, if you give them too much "food" most plants will grow lots of leaves but few flowers.
Thanks for the instructions re: pictures. I will have to study that.

Kansas City, MO

When I fertilize it is with one with equal parts of everything. I normally feed, if I feed at all, during the winter. The way the nitrogen would help is to encourage leaf growth. However to get the benefit of the growth the peony should not be cut off until they go dormant. No cleaning up until stalks are brown.

Age is the one way the stems become larger. The roots provide most of the food for the plant. A thought is that the 'rot' that appears as the roots age provided the needed nutrients rather than any fertilizer we would add.

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Yeah, I understand a balanced fertilizer is the thing. Why mess with a good thing? Those peonies and the garden in general look lovely the way they are. Since I'm not blessed with terrific garden soil, that's where I put my attention.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I don't cut my stems off until new growth is rather apparent.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

The stems are strong enough for just about everything but double peonies. Their weight is amazing.

Leacock-Leola-Barevi, PA(Zone 6b)

I used green sand on my peonies this past spring and I noticed that it had a significant effect on strengthening peonies stems even with heavy doubles like henry bockstoce. The potash and silica in greensand help to strengthen stems.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

A good rain (and we've had a whole lot), and nothing will help those blooms to keep their heads up. Such a disappointment.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Not famailiar w. green sand. I have heard of it, but I don't know anything about it. I'll check it out.

Yes, rain can really mess up peonies.

We were out of town the entire time the peonies bloomed. We returned in time to cut off all the expired blooms. :( Guess there's next year.

Thanks to all who posted.

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

I'm going to look into green sand too. Although I plant almost on the surface, and I sneak a little composted garden soil into the plot every year as it is because the land is full of rocks and sand, the question is how to add products without causing the roots to be buried too deeply. I have learned from experience, though, that even peonies that are planted a bit too deeply will rise toward the surface if given a few years. They really want to survive and blossom. I doubt any stem is strong enough to hold a 9" double completely. My peonies seem to like Azomite (which becomes a bit pricey, thus limiting the amount) and as much fireplace ash as I can give them, and a light top dressing of composted manure outside the drip line for winter bedtime, 10-10-10 fertilizer in spring. That's because the soil here is extremely depleted to begin with, considering this land was a pre-revolutionary farm once.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Rosemary: Isn't it amazing how many people have walked on your land?

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

And when I dig, I find the shards, piles of rock, and old foundations to prove it. And that's only from the last 300 years.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.