March, 2013: Is it spring yet?

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

We came from here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1296948/#new

Time for a new thread! In my neck of the woods, the temp never got above 34F today and it was spitting snow!! Hopefully, some of you folks further to the south are having more spring-like weather.

Join us here for chatting and sharing of photos of your new spring blooms.

We have had some daffodils blooming and a few crocus, but that is all. However, I was surprised yesterday when I was out walking around and looking at the flowerbeds. I actually found new leaves on some of the plants: a monarda, a gaillardia and Gunny's Rose are all putting out new leaves, plus the naked ladies are coming up, too, along with some other things I can't yet identify. You could have knocked me over with a feather! I just hope they don't get frostbite.

Here is a photo of a bouquet of daffodils which Al picked. Most of these daffodils are from old beds which have been around for several years and they obviously need to be divided because the blooms are not big at all.

Thumbnail by marsue
St. Simon's Island, GA(Zone 9a)

My bridal wreath is blooming, and my Japanese Maples are beginning to get new leaves. We've been cool the past few days, and expect low 30's this weekend. So it isn't quite here yet,but it is certainly not far away! I can't wait.

Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

I just looked out the window and we have some fine snow falling right now! Also had snow and sleet last night in the evening and some overnight apparently but nothing on the ground. I don't think this is supposed to stick either but you never know.

We've had daffodils blooming for a couple of weeks, plus the lenten roses have been beautiful. I noticed small pink buds on my saucer magnolia (tulip magnolia) but this cold weather will probably kill them. The few tulips I have were also coming up as well as some later blooming daff buds, but I haven't been able to walk around much in the yard to check out much else.

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

This weather has been CRAZIER than normal. We're suppose to go to 30 tonight ourselves than Mon. it will be back in the 70's. My sinus' are all messed up. I wonder why? LOL!!!

Ripley, MS

We got a little snow too we are around 34 I think. Old wives tail says rain on the first of the month will mean 15 rainy days, hope it doesn't count for snow!

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

The weather has been yukky here all week! No snow or sleet but it's cold, damp and windy!
I've got to get out and clean up the layer of green pine needles that's all over my beds! I got all the limbs up but I still have those little pieces of pine from the branches all over the beds. Not this weekend however!

My daffodils have been blooming for several weeks now too. My quince and some of my camellias are blooming. My lenten roses have also been really pretty I see lots of things coming up.

I saw some tulips blooming in the neighborhood this week. I don't plant tulips myself. I love them but so do the squirrels. After planting them one year and having the squirrels relocate them all over the yard I gave up on that!

My tulip magnolia also has a lot of buds getting ready to open. The snow broke at least a third of it off!! It's a 40 year old tree so it's really big (or least it used to be really big!).

I cut all the Carolina Jasmine and Confederate Jasmine off the top of the metal arbor. The top is broken loose from one side support of the arbor. Trying to figure out if there is some way that can be fixed rather than taking the whole thing down. A lot of my gardening this spring is going to be damage control!

I've discovered we also have coyotes in addition to all the other wild animals roaming through the neighborhood. My neighbor down the street that has chickens as had coyotes eat all but 4 of her chickens! She has seen them in the broad daylight with her chickens in their mouth!!! There are several creeks that run all through LR. Her house backs up to a creek that goes for miles through LR. They seem to be coming from the creek. Beginning to feel like I'm in the wild west! I live IN THE CITY!

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

We did a cross post Sandra. Hope your old wives tale is not right!!!!! Ready for spring!

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

I hope your old wives tale is not correct, as well, Sandra! We had a "skiff" of snow on the ground this morning but it isn't enough to hamper travel or anything.

Charlotte, I am totally amazed that your neighborhood has coyotes!! They must be really desperate for something to eat to come into the city that way. I guess the rapid westward growth of Little Rock the last 20 or 30 years has pushed the wildlife to acclimating themselves to city life, too. :( My sister and my aunt and my mother all lived in your neighborhood for many years. I love that part of Little Rock.

By the way, Charlotte, if you have a sprig of that Carolina Jasmine to spare, could you stick some in a jar of water and root it for me? I love the fragrance of Carolina Jasmine but I wish it bloomed all summer instead of just in the spring.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I have TONS of Carolina Jasmine so I have plenty to spare. I have it in three other places. I'll stick some in some water but not sure how successful it will be at rooting.

Coyotes have been in Pleasant Valley for a long time but it's the first I've known of them being on this side of 430. A lady in Leawood (same creek runs by her house) found a coyote fighting with her 2 dogs in her backyard last week. This was in the daytime! Her dogs were injured but ok (think they were pretty big dogs). She called animal control or wildlife control or someone and they captured it and she posted a picture. Very mangy scraggly looking thing!!! My neighbor said the ones she has seen have also been very mangy! Some theory about they run in packs and the fittest survive and the weak get left behind.

There are also bobcats up on Palisades in the Heights. Someone has taken pictures of them in their backyard and posted just recently! I think it is because we are so close to the river and all the creeks that run through here. We also have patches of completely wooden areas mixed in with our very populated neighborhoods.

So far no deer!!!

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Here's a picture of the one they captured in Leawood. My neighbor says the ones she has seen looks just like this one. All mangy!

Thumbnail by cperdue

Charlotte, the same thing is happening in a lot of populated areas in Huntsville and Decatur the past few years. Small dogs and cats have been either disappearing or found dead in back yards in some neighborhoods, especially ones bordered by woods or near the mountains. I guess they are foraging for food, especially this time of year when things get more scarce in their normal environment. I know even in the country they seem to appear more, and so do the deer, around this time of year when other food sources are depleted. That's another reason they don't look well fed. Our neighbors who keep horses can often hear them howling at night in the distance but that is usual out here.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Pleasant Valley (just a couple of miles away) had been having small dogs and cats disappearing too.

Ripley, MS

Marilyn, I have that vine all over the ground rooted, I can pull some up for you if Marilyn can't root it, I have it out in the pine trees now--lol

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Charlotte and Sandra, for offering the Carolina Jasmine. I just love that stuff!!

We have coyotes around here but we do, after all, live in the Ozark Mountains. We keep Laddy's doggie door closed at night so he won't run outside if the coyotes come this way. We have a fenced back yard but coyotes have been known to scale fences. My friend, Kelli, who lives in California, said her DH found the remains of a cat in their back yard and they don't own a cat so they figured a coyote had chased one into their yard and caught it. :(

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

The coyote in Leawood was in a fenced in back yard (privacy fence). So he had jumped or climbed the fence to get in where her dogs where. My neighbor down the street has a fence around her yard also. She had about 20 chickens and she is now down to 4.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Charlotte, did they test that coyote to see if it was rabid?

We have enough deer to make up for you not having any..... I counted 20 the other night outside my back yard!

Marilyn, thanks for starting the new thread! ^_^

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Yes Genna they tested the coyote in the picture. It had been fighting with dogs and the dogs were injured so the owners wanted to make sure the coyote was not rabid.

I wouldn't mention it on any other forum, but my neighbor actually shot 2 coyotes in her yard. Don't know how many have been coming around.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Can't say that I blame your neighbor, Charlotte. In a way it is more humane to shoot them than to let them starve. :(

We are heading for a high of 60F here in the Ozark Mountains today but it won't last long. Tomorrow our high will be 40F with wind speed being up to 40 mph so it will definitely be a windy day tomorrow. I'm soooo ready for spring!

Ripley, MS

Windy here today too---Jerry is in Memphis getting his last blood check for the research program, we have been blessed beyond measure through this. It seemed such a long time when we first found out what he would have to do, but Praise God he has made it to the finish line !

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Windy here today although not as bad today as it was yesterday and at least it is warmer!!

Sandra, Jerry's treatment was indeed a miracle. Will they not do any more checking after today?

I need ya'lls help. I posted on FB, but Jessica is in a contest on the Toms website to try to win one of 50 trips to help deliver Tom's shoes to kids in need out of the country. She is SO wanting to do this - especially since Kyle has been to Africa and Saudi. But, she logged over 2000 community service hours in HS and has been wearing Toms for the past 6 yrs so this is more than just winning a trip. Could you please take the time to vote for her? www.toms.com/ticket-to-give/flags/7184

You can only vote once per email, and if you use this link, I think you have to set up an account providing an email, and a password. IF you link thru FB, I don't think you have to set up an account. It won't let me link to hers because I have already voted for her, and I can only vote once. so, it won't let me even view her profile anymore.

If you have friends or family that would be willing to take the time to vote for her, we would sure appreciate the help! There are over 4000 entrants for the 50 slots - so it will strickly be about who can generate the most votes! Thanks!!

This message was edited Mar 4, 2013 2:11 PM

Ripley, MS

I voted and was number 18.
Jerry just called and said he will not go back to research any more but his Doc wants to check him in 6 months and then again in one year after that. He just wants to keep a check and if all is clear by that time he will release him.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I voted. I was 38.

Sandra that's wonderful about Jerry!! God is good!!

I'm so ready for Spring also. Daylight savings time starts this Sun!!!!! HOORAY! Love long days.
I don't know where the winter went however. I have lots of things I try to get done in the winter but don't think I've gotten any of it done! I guess I have too much going on! But don't plan to change that!

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

I was number 37 Genna!!! I hope she makes it.

Sandra that is the BEST news!!! I know Yall are over the moon!!!!

I had to go get Breanna from school. She is upset at her daddy. She is on the verge of making herself sick. So now we have two 16 year olds at the house.

Jim goes to get his stitches out tomorrow and he is raring to get in his truck. He needs to seep the rings on his new motor? or something. LOL!!! He can't just crank it and let it run it smokes.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Thanks everyone! She has a long way to go on the voting, but hopefully, the votes will begin to come in and she will make the top 50. I figure she will need at least 400 - 500 votes for that .... possibly a lot more - it is just a guess! I appreciate the help though!

Sandra, that is great news! Glad to hear that at least his primary doctor is going to continue to monitor the situation! But, he has been truly blessed by being selected to be in the research project! Praise God!

Jeri, with two 16 yr old girls in the house, I bet Jim is ready to get in that truck! Especially since he is used to not having to deal with them! LOL..... You have your hands full!

Charlotte, I agree, had lots I wanted to get accomplished too - never seem to get much done inside once the days get long, but I am ready for the longer days! NOT ready to give up an hour of sleep though.... I hate that part! :( Oh well, can't have it both ways.

I think I am going to try to cut back my butterfly bushes tomorrow afternoon..... I haven't cut them back because they never went completely dormant - and they are putting on new leaves..... but I didn't cut my big one back last year and it didn't do very well, so I think I am going to take a chance and cut it way back. I have lots of stuff to clean up in the beds yet..... and probably will still have at this time next year!

Headed to bed.... have a good night everyone!

Genna

Ripley, MS

I am also ready for spring, it has been a long winter to ma as I have mostly stayed at home with Eli. He is getting to the stage where he is too busy to get dressed, I told him today he could just go naked when it gets warm enough, I wouldn't fight to get those clothes on him !

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

I voted, Genna. I was 102. I will go to FB and share it there.

I was #105. Good luck to Jess!

Sandra, glad Jerry is doing so well.

Jeri, so glad Jim seems to be doing well too. I got my staples out of my knee today, yippee!! It feels so much better, but getting those little buggers out wasn't much fun, especially the ones right below the knee where there isn't much 'fat'. Whew! There were 14 total and most of them I couldn't even feel much but 1 or 2 in that below the knee area had sort of stuck to the skin and oh boy it sort of made my eyes water! Thank goodness it was over quickly. I can't wait to be able to take a shower and not cover everything up with waterproof stuff.

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

They took the staples out of his left leg today and put a needle into the swollen part of his right leg and withdrew over 70CC's of fluid. The pain stopped immediately but within 3 hrs it was swollen back up again. We go back in a week for the staples to be removed from the right leg and he's gonna inject something into the area that will cause the lymph node to heal.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Glad Jim got his staples out!! Know that really made him feel better!

Elaine glad you got your staples out also!! What a relief! How is your physical therapy going?

Ripley, MS

Elaine, I didn't know they opened your knee up, I thought you had a scope surgery. I don't know how you got right up and going like you did, but so glad you did. I know those staples did "ouch"

Jeri, does the doctor say Jim is doing as well as he should? That seems like a lot of swelling. I hope things have settled down with the grand kids now.

I had not though of sharing Jessica's page on FB-but I will try that too.

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

The swelling is from the nicked lymph node. They stitched it but it apparently is still leaking.

My DDIL had microscopic surgery on her shoulder and she had stitches at the 4 cut points that had to be removed.

I'll try to do that too Genna.

Yes, I had about a 1" incision on the lower right side of my left knee. The rest were arthroscopic 'holes' - 3 across the kneecap and one above. Weird to describe it but that's where the way they did it with the tendon implant. The staples where the incision were hurt the most because there really isn't much between your skin and bone there.

Charlotte to answer your question, the physical therpist calls me an 'overachiever', lol. She says I'm doing really well and am so far ahead of any of the patients they have that are 2 weeks out of surgery. I have great flexion and extension, so they are giving me more and more exercises to do. Can get on the stationary bike now and progress with more time there as we go. Plus more weight bearing exercises on the 'bad' leg. I still have some swelling, especially by the end of the day but keep icing it periodically helps. Plus Advil or Aleve. Thanks everyone for asking.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Elaine the fact that you are so active and are determined to get back to your usually activities is probably what has you so far ahead of schedule! That's great! I know you must have some pain with the therapy - but as they say no pain - no gain!

Ripley, MS

Knowing spring is just about here is helping also I am sure ! I really worked hard with my wrist last early spring too !

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Thanks everyone for all your support for Jessica. She is oscillating between # 70 and 80 or so........ not bad considering there are over 4000 signed up, but if ya'll have good email friends or friends in your church that wouldn't mind voting for her I would sure appreciate the help. The key for sure if going to be getting a lot of networking and getting votes pulled in from people we don't personally know. We really do appreciate the help! Lots of days left to go so we are just trying to think outside the box to pull in groups of votes. ^_^

Elaine, glad to hear that you got those staples out! I hate staples! I would rather have stitches anyday..... they always irritate my skin and I am always more than ready to get them out!! Kyle was thankful he didn't have any when he had his gall bladder taken out because his classmate that had hers removed the month before had complained about her staples hurting much more than the incisions. It is great that your PT is going so well! You are so active and fit, I am sure it will progress quickly - and as Sandra says the thought of Spring weather and being able to get out and enjoy it is a great motivator!

Jeri, that does sound like a lot of fluid...... I hope they get that issue resolved for him quickly! I bet he has cabin fever for sure by now! Was he anticipating being off this long? Do you still have both girls? I know you have your plate full currently....

Anyone on the list happen to have any experience with a subaru vehicle? Leigh is considering purchasing a used subaru forester or outback because of the all wheel drive...... he knows that whenever bad weather hits - he WILL definitely be called out in this new job! He will have to have something dependable that can get him there. They have a little higher clearance than the average front wheel drive cars, and get a little better gas mileage than going to a 4 wheel drive pickup or SUV. Just was wondering if anyone had any experience with them.........

Our local daffodil festival is this weekend and it looks like the daffodils are going to be in full bloom for it. Hopefully the weather will be nice and it will be a great weekend for it. Kyle and Jessi are coming home and bringing a few friends so it should be a fun weekend - although not sure how we are going to workout getting a vehicle too since that is the only day Leigh has to look! LOL.... should be interesting...........

Jessi is actually coming home this afternoon after lab - so I will have company tonight! ^_^ She has an appointment with the surgeon in the morning at the clinic, and an appointment to get her hair cut, then she will be back to school for classes tomorrow and then home again. It has taken 2 months almost to get her in to see the surgeon - but we are expecting to have her surgery on the 18th - the first day of spring break.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Hooray for Elaine and Jim getting their staples out!! So sorry about the excess fluid on Jim's right leg. Sure hope they can get that corrected soon.

Genna, have a good week-end with the family!! I don't have any experience with a Suburu but maybe somebody else here can give you some input.

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

I sold them back in the 70's. Very rugged vehicle but back then it was hard to get parts for it.

Genna, whenever we go out west (Colorado, Utah, etc) we see a lot of them in the mountains. Really, it's like a commercial. I don't know anything about them, but they appear to be popular out there.

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Subaru and Jeeps in Colorado etc.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

You see a few Subaru's around Little Rock. People mainly use Jeeps and other 4 wheel drive suv's. Don't know anyone personally that owns or has owned a Subaru.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.