March Orchids Warm Us Up

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

We are coming from here. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1296429/#new Time again for a new month and new flowers. Some bloomers have followed us along into March. Come share your pretties.

This is Jairak Rainbow 'Plum Pretty'. Right on time and very photogenic. It likes high light and very fast drainage...enough to make the leaves speckle for best flowering. I grow these in tiny clay pots on a hunk of lava rock. I've grown them on chunks of natural charcoal too.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel

Encyclia bractescens has a delicate beauty with its grassy leaves and floating flowers.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel

The flowers on Epc. Rene Marques x Epi. pseudepidendrum are long lasting and the lip turns more orange as it ages. The differences between this one and a straight Rene Marques are that my flowers are fewer and almost twice as big. Epc. Rene Marques has a yellow lip while mine, which is crossed back to the pseudepidendrum parent, is orange.

Well it helps to have a photo, yes? lol

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Well, Mom and I headed out to our society's orchid show and sale this morning. I wasn't surprised to see Jim there waiting in line to get in, LOL! There were some beautiful orchids on display and I picked up a few as well.

1. Blc. Ports of Paradise 'Green Ching Hua' (Jim helped convince me on this one. No seriously, I had noticed it even before he said anything. He just helped me make up my mind.)
2. Blc. Goldenzelle 'Lemon Chiffon' x Blc. Sylvia Fry 'Supreme'
3. C. Hawaiian Crystal x C. Tiffany Bells (Continuing my Hawaiian theme I've got going.)

I also bought Bc. North Miami 'Suncoast'; the sample plant smelled wonderful. I can't wait for it to grow up; I just bought a baby plant. I also got two cattleya divisions from Krull-Smith - Blc. Orglades Charm 'Crystelle' and Blc. Leonard Smith 'Krull-Smith'. He had pictures up of what they will look like and they're both gorgeous.

This message was edited Mar 1, 2013 12:57 PM

Thumbnail by mellielong Thumbnail by mellielong Thumbnail by mellielong
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

I also took some random photos that I hope you will enjoy.

1. Phal. Krull's Butterfly (Mom was ready to steal this one out of the display.)
2. Lyc. Chita Impulse 'Krull-Smith'
3. Cym. Oriental Legend 'Largo' (Love the color on this one)
4. Onc. Jairak Rainbow (Since we've been talking about the Jairak series lately, including Laurel's cutie above).
5. Rlc. Frank Fordyce (Rlc. Golden Slippers x Catt. Colorama)

Thumbnail by mellielong Thumbnail by mellielong Thumbnail by mellielong Thumbnail by mellielong Thumbnail by mellielong
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

1. Vanda Spotted Sunshine - V. (Mote's Butterscotch x Darres' Golden Heritage) LOVE this color!
2. C. amethystoglossa (Why don't I have one of these yet; I like it!)
3. Vandachostylis Colmarie 'Black Beauty' (How cool is this?!)
4. Slc. Rosemary Clooney 'Nanae'
5. Lc. Prism Palette x Lc. Gaiety Flambeau

Hope you enjoyed the mini-show! I'm sure Jim will be along shortly with his highlights from today!

Melanie

Thumbnail by mellielong Thumbnail by mellielong Thumbnail by mellielong Thumbnail by mellielong Thumbnail by mellielong
Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

All the colors of Spring!!!!!

Very true and it looks like we will have to start referring to Mellie as the Catt Lady.

Mellie, Ports of Paradise is a real oldie. I used to have POP 'Emerald Isle' back in the seventies when it was getting all kinds of awards. I paid a bundle for it back then. When we moved I went from a greenhouse to lights in a basement. Everything eventually croaked and I quit growing for years. Orchid prices used to be huge. Growers would send out Xerox sheets of their available plants each year with descriptions, no pictures. Unless you had seen the orchid at a show or meeting you were flying by the seat of your pants. I'd say an average, decent Catt specimen was $65-$85 dollars. $45 was a super show special bargain probably not near bloom size.

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Here I am, after the nice show and sale today. The first thing I saw was Melanie and her mom so I knew I was at the right place. There were only six or seven orchid vendors so it didn't take long to scout the place. I spotted Blc. Ports of Paradise 'Green Ching Hua' and thought that was the pick of the Catt litter :>) Next thing I know, Melanie had bought it. Nothing else grabbed my attention. I talked with Jim Krull and told him Laurel said hello. I then started to look at the orchid displays and two orchids spoke to me. The first was Rossioglossum Rawdon's Jester 'Suncoast Cicada Killer'. I'll show it here in the first two photos. The second was Lycaste Geyser Gold 'Capricorn Valcan'. I show it here in the third picture. I asked all of the vendors if they had these orchids and did find a non-blooming Ros. Rawdon's jester but there was no Lycaste for sale in the entire show. Needless to say, I bought the Rossioglossum. I told Melanie about it but I see she took a pass. I'm betting she will be sorry later.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica Thumbnail by hawkarica Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

I did wind up buying two others:

Bc. Hippodamia (B. nodosa X C. aclandiae) in spike

C. Gene May - Lc. Jungle Elf 'Space Leopard' X C.Penny Kuroda - L. briegeri 'Corpusles' in bloom and shown here. I know that is a long name but I copied it right from the tag. Laurel, can you help me understand this crazy tag?

The second picture is of the three orchids that came home with me.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Here are some general pictures of the show. The names of the orchids are either in the picture or immediately following. I love the Lycast shown here as well.

Jim

Edited to say that even when I had the pictures in correct order, hitting the send button scrambles them again. The name tag in the fourth photo goes with the orchid in the second photo. Frustrating!

This message was edited Mar 1, 2013 5:39 PM

Thumbnail by hawkarica Thumbnail by hawkarica Thumbnail by hawkarica Thumbnail by hawkarica Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Here is the view at the entrance followed by more display orchids:

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica Thumbnail by hawkarica Thumbnail by hawkarica Thumbnail by hawkarica Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

And some more:

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

And a few more. All of the time I was taking these pictures, Melanie must have been prowling the Catt aisle. :>) The second pic is a little Tolumnia but I didn't get the name.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

While out in the OC, I discovered Blc. Haleahi Sunbow 'Bow Wow' X Pot. Haleahi Jewels 'Ruby Tangerine' is blooming. I picked it up at the Florida West Coast Orchid Show last October.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica Thumbnail by hawkarica Thumbnail by hawkarica Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Out by the big live oak tree, Epi. Radicans and the first Phaius of the season are blooming.

Jim

You did good, Jim. The C. Day Tripper on display is the bomb. Thanks for saying "Hi" to Jim Krull.

Our show opens next Friday. I'll be working at least Thursday, Friday and Saturday. We only have space for ten vendors. One is always orchid art and another supplies. Harry Phillips is returning with wife Leslie to represent Andy's once again this year. Time to cash in my gift certificated (and then some).

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Laurel, thanks for the new thread and I love the Encyclia bractescens.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

The two Lycaste I saw today really blew me away. I know they require some cool temps but I'm going to research them to see if I can grow one. I asked Jim Krull about them and he said he grows a few in his private collection but has none for sale. That seems to be a familiar theme in Apopka. I asked Paul Phelps as well and he doesn't grow them.

Jim

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Just call me the crazy Catt lady! Thanks Laurel for the history lesson on my Ports of Paradise. Nice to know I have an oldie but goody.

I'll be breaking out the blankets again and carrying in the vandas tomorrow since we're supposed to get some cold temperatures this weekend. I never think I have that many vandas until I have to transport them all into the garage, LOL!

Good choices from the show, Jim! I like your Blc. Haleahi Sunbow 'Bow Wow' X Pot. Haleahi Jewels 'Ruby Tangerine', too.

Melanie

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

I just came in from cutting the grass and I tell you that is one cold wind blowing out there. Time to break out the blankets and make the hot toddies. It is 62 degrees in the OC which is cool for this time of day. I went out there to take some pics and this is what is in bloom.

I'll start out with species Epi. stamfordianum which hails from Belize. It puts out a nice fragrance.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica Thumbnail by hawkarica Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Next up is Dendrobium Burana 'Green Star'. I love the color on this one.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

It is very hard to photograph Dendrobium spectabile and then make sense out of what you are looking at.

Jim

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

Goodness it's crazy windy out. I've closed up the greenhouse early to retain heat before cranking up the heater. A few chilly nights ahead !

Cool bloom on the Epi. stamfordianum Jim...I may need to look for that one.

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

I think you would like it, MJ. It puts out a lot of flowers.

I guess I could say the same for my ribbon winning Schomburgkia undulata.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Then there is the newbie with the strange long name, C. Gene May - Lc. Jungle Elf 'Space Leopard' X C.Penny Kuroda - L. briegeri 'Corpusles'

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Nice color on this Blc. Haleahi Sunbow 'Bow Wow' X Pot. Haleahi Jewels 'Ruby Tangerine'

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

There are strange birds flying everywhere when Gongora smaug (Gon. clavidora X pterodactyl) is blooming.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

I have a couple of beautiful NOID Phals blooming.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica Thumbnail by hawkarica Thumbnail by hawkarica Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Bollopetalum Midnight Blue 'Cardinal's Roost' is beginning to bloom again.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Maxillaria setigera is still providing a sweet fragrance to the OC.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

I have two Epc. Rene Marques 'Tyler' orchids. The one that went off to the state fair now is finished blooming. This is the one that stayed home. Compare this one to the one Laurel posted.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

This NOID Dendrobium is mounted on a Pet Smart lizzard log.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Lc. Eva ( C. aurantiaca X L. cinnabarina 'poppy) will brighten up any dark corner.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

C. skinneri is beginning to open.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Degarmoara Flying High is still blooming nicely.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

And last but not least, Vanda Princess Blue.

Jim

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

What a gorgeous bunch of orchids, Jim. Love that spearhead on the lip of Epi. stamfordianum. The little max is so pretty.

We have very cold and lots of wind here, too. I briefly aired out the little greenhouse shelf units while the sun was out but they are closed up again now.

Nun's orchids are in full bloom now, and don't seem to mind the cold, but the little Howeara Lava Burst 'Puanani' got to come into the house.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy
Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Jim, you've got a ton going on in the OC! I hope my Cardinal's Roost blooms soon, like yours. Mine is nice and healthy looking and I think it's grown some since I bought it a few months ago. Maybe I'll try talking to it.

That was a cold wind today! I covered up all the cattleyas and brought the vandas into the garage again.

I raise butterflies, as well, and had two come out of their chrysalis today. One I already let go but the other is going to spend the night in the house. I tired to tell them it was the wrong day to come out but they don't listen to me, LOL!

Melanie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.