Flower Border Re-do

Rogers, MN(Zone 4b)

When I bought my house three years ago it had absolutely no landscaping. I don't understand how someone can live in a house for 8 years with nothing pretty to look at outside, but to each his own I guess. The first summer, I put in a flower border along the front and entire west side of the house. When I originally did this, I cleared out the grass and built it up with black dirt and compost, and then covered the entire area with black plastic poly and brown mulch. For the initial planting, I used mostly hostas mixed with some perennial flowers, but over the last two summers I have been adding a lot more perennials and annuals. I would like a nice full garden, but because of the poly the flowers do not spread much.

Any suggestions for the best setup for a perennial border like this? Should I pull up the poly and ditch the mulch as well, or should I just remove the poly and leave the mulch? I get an above average number of weeds because my house backs up to a protected wetland area that goes to seed in the summer, so I thought the poly would help with this, but I need to change something so that the flowers will fill in and the biennials/annuals will have an easier time reseeding. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

This thread has 12 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!