Container Soils - Water Movement and Retention IV

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

I like the way you think RickCorey_WA!

1/8" hardware cloth (if needed) might be my next 'issue'. Looked for some in the local big box stores with no luck. Might be an online item if I have to.

Thanks for the reply

Mike

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

With a grit component that size, you're likely to have water retention issues (not enough) and keeping the soil moist might be a battle. How about Haydite in the 1/8" size range? Ck with the bonsai guys to see if you can source that. I recently found it in bulk at a bonsai nursery downstate, and I think I paid .15/ lb.

Al

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

MSC Direct has almost anything hardware related under the sun, but I can't say whether their prices and shipping costs are reasonable.

Here are 954 types of hardware cloth:
http://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn/Raw-Materials/Wire-Cloth?navid=12101790

Here's 47 items with steel or stainless steel wire, and 1/8" mesh:
http://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn/Raw-Materials/Wire-Cloth?navid=12101790#navid=12101790+4288151749+4288179679+4288245048+4288245126+4288179659

Here's a galvanized steel 1/8" mesh:
http://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/52427747

Here is the "Big Book" page with galvanized steel mesh:
www.mscdirect.com/product/details/52427747

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

Well, it took me a month and a week to find the correct size granite for the gritty mix but I finally did it. The material is from A-1 Grit Co. in Riverside, CA

http://www.a1grit.com/products/sands

It's what they consider granite #10 and it came in a 7/8 cu. ft. bag for $6. Bought 2. Fortunately, I had a buddy that was up in that area (1-1/2 hours north of San Diego) and they were able to pick it up for me. So now I have everything for the mix, 1/8 inch granite, turface, and fir bark fines.

Doesn't look like any screening is needed, correct? I checked on the 1/8" screen Rick Corey_WA mentioned above but shipping was too much.... almost $15 plus $10 for the screen.

Thanks all for the help, clues, and feedback. Wasn't able to locate any haydite in the area as Al suggested.

Thumbnail by mickkkkyd
Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Determination and perseverance. Great traits - you'll do well.

Al

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Great news!

"Double screened" sounds good, there probably won;t be much dust.

Frustrating that the website won't say what the size distribution is.

Lake Stevens, WA(Zone 8a)

I thought I would resurrect this great thread. I plan to try tapla's recipe's. But I am stuck on a few things:

I already have a bag of chicken grit I got at the feed store last year.
I have found local sources (I think) for Turface.
I plan to buy a bag of fine bark mulch at Lowe's.
I just bought a bottle of Foliage Pro fertilizer (was using Miracle Grow).
These products will need to be screened to get out the stuff that is too big or two small, so I am going to make myself some sieves this winter.

I bought 10' rolls of 1/4" and 1/2" hardware cloth at Lowe's, both 24" wide, seemed about right. I can make one for my sister too. Then extra for my lifelong project of filling up the garage with stuff I might need someday so I can't do anything in there ;-)
But I got stuck at the 1/8" size. Even on Lowe's website they don't seem to have this.
On my search mission in DG today, I found RickCorey's link to msc Industrial supply,
they have 12"x12" mesh screens of just about any mesh size you could want, at 12-15$ each, but I didn't find anything larger than 12". I am thinking of ordering some although it seems a bit small, 2 ft x 2ft seemed a nice size. It also comes in different materials. I would guess the steel is fine? What are y'all using? And Corey if you are reading this should I order any extra meshes for you?
Also, in terms of making the sieves, Any advice? I thought maybe I should buy 1x4x8 foot El Cheepo wood from Lowe's, its about 5$ a board, which seems OK, unless you thought some other wood like hemlock or something would be better for this purpose? Also do you think 4" is deep enough or would 6" be better? Would the 1/2" thick be strong enough, it is even cheaper. I saw on some thread somewhere someone had made two of the walls of their sieve stick out to the side so it could easily be laid over a wheelbarrow or bucket, that seemed a good idea. Has anyone made one of these? Or is there a thread about this somewhere?

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Notes:

Make sure the chicken grit doesn't contain crushed shellfish.

You want Turface MVP or Allsport (if you get it from a John Deere Landscapes dealer.

Make sure the bark is pine or fir bark in an appropriate size.

Usually, you can find 1/8" hardware cloth cut to size at good hardware stores, so call around. Get galvanized if you can.

See my screens in the pics. The idea of extending 2 sides of the screens so the wheel barrow supports the weight is great. I wish I'd thought of it. If you do that, I'd add some sort of angular reinforcement on the inside of the screen. My screens are half-lapped for strength, but you won't be able to do that if you extend the sides. Don't use 1/2" material. Some of the screws will have to be fastened into the end grain and splitting is likely with 1/2" lumber.

Al

Thumbnail by tapla Thumbnail by tapla Thumbnail by tapla

thanks tapla-
a picture is worth a thousand words, so true.
btw the handles are also a good idea.
I will try some other hardware stores.

So I just got back from getting Turface and then to Lowe's, assembling materials. I called my BIL to ask about the wood, do I need anything better than the cheapest. He gave me this link- these folks set up their "Redneck Automatic Dirt Sifter" so a Skilsaw shakes the screen back and forth! Quite clever, I saw another one using a jigsaw. For my purposes it is overkill, but maybe some of you playing around with this on a bigger scale should try it (with your BIL's power tools;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uh9ZSVY425U

Everett, WA(Zone 8a)

Pistil, I should be able to get a section of steel shelving to you one of these weekends!

It isn't pretty like a wooden frame, but it has worked well for me, supporting all the weight.

"Galvanized" is key. Some of the 12"x12" steel hardware cloth from MSC rusted almost instantly. Not the stainless steel fine mesh, the plain steel coarse mesh, like 16 to the inch.

I thought MSC had bigger rolls of 1/8" hardware cloth somewhere ... I found a very small roll at some hardware store, maybe True Value ...

Here''s a $19-$25 1/8" item before shipping, from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Redi-Roll-Hardware-Cloth-36-10/dp/B000LF87AE/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1448323032&sr=8-4&keywords=galvanized+hardware+cloth

Our beloved IT department at work BLOCKED MSC Direct. They really can be annoying.

Rock Hill, SC(Zone 8a)

Bump

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.