Finding rare bauhinia

Ft Myers, FL(Zone 10a)

(This is a mirror post I placed in Shrubs and Trees. Didn't realize I probably should have posted it here for Floridians-oops! :) )
Just thought I'd drop a note to those of you who might live in South Florida and are looking for a fantastic company you can pick up from.
I have been looking for bauhinia divaricata for almost 2 years now. No-one had it, not even seed. I have even written botanical gardens from all over
the country (including Hawaii) as well as South Amercan companies, looking for it, to no avail.
About 2 weeks ago I was googling it (again) and ran across a wholesaler in Homestead, Fl. whose website was locked to retail sales customers.
I wrote them anyway, as Google insisted that the words 'bauhinia divaricata' was somewhere on the site.
To my surprise, I got an immediate response from one of the two owners, named Mike. He said he would indeed sell me the tree, all I had to do was
pay the sales tax, since I am no wholesaler, and pick it up during nursery hours.
Hubby picked the two trees on Monday. They are well over 6 feet tall, and fantastic! Both are full of the unusual purple and white flowers I've so
long waited to see for myself. I finally have this beautiful and hard to find bauhinia in
my collection. So if you are in the area, and need palms, cycads, or some other unusual plants, don't forget to try out this customer friendly
and knowledgeable group of people.
Here is all of their contact info:
(They do not do mailorder as far as I know-you must pick up at the nursery)
Botanics Wholesale
31500 SW 194th Ave, Homestead, FL 33030
(305) 245-2966
botanics@botanics.com
http://botanics.com/
MIKE

Here is link to Dave's Garden info on the tree:
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/115322/#b

Note: You may find it on internet listed at TopTropicals for sale (as I did). Beware- I bought it there, and it was NOT divaricata-it was tomentosa. Best to get from a reputable company
like the one listed above.

Thumbnail by TrumpetFlowerz
Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Beautiful and worth the hunt. Reminds me of Japanese honeysuckle.
Glad you finally got it.

Bonnie

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

I am definitely going to put this on my return from Key West list. I also love "Living Colors" in Fort Lauderdale.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.