Mt Cuba Trip

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Several of us at the Seed Swap were talking about putting together a group trip to Mt. Cuba.
Here is some general info on Mt. Cuba and I thought we could use this thread to discuss a date.

Mt. Cuba Center is a non-profit horticultural institution in northern Delaware located on nearly 600 acres. We’re dedicated to the study, conservation, and appreciation of plants native to the Appalachian Piedmont Region through garden display, education, and research. Our woodland wildflower gardens are recognized as the region’s finest. http://www.mtcubacenter.org/

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Saved for general trip info.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

watching thread
I see they open for season April 19 and looks like only Fridays and Saturdays.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Sounds like a lot of fun!

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Will look forward to that. It is 17 miles from my house. Have not been there yet, but have always wanted to.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Group Tours for 10 or more. These are guided tours and if we could get 10 of us it would be great. These tours are run Tuesday - Sunday.

To help you with your 2013 planning, tours are scheduled at the following times: Tuesday, April 16 through Sunday, July 28:Tuesdays to Saturdays 10am and 1pm: Sundays 1pm. There are no group tour dates available in August. Group tour dates for fall begin Tuesday, September 9 and run through Sunday, November 10. Monday tour dates are not available. Please note, reservations are required.
Admission

Group tours must be scheduled in advance. The fee is $10 per person. Payment in full is required fourteen days prior to the tour date.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

an hour and 12mins from my house...close enough for me to go!
Sounds good to me!

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Ouch -- 2 hrs 13 mins (112.16 miles) for me.... Would it make sense to do it in conjunction with the swap? Though then again, there is always so much to do at a swap.... But maybe Saturday (isn't the swap on a Saturday) at 10? I bet the tour is only one hour.... we could stay until noon and then go to the swap....

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

The idea of this thread is to pass around dates time and ideas. There have been a couple of people mention stopping on the day of the swap. Holly

If we get a tour of the propagation area may take an hour, the property is large and a serious walk-about is required to fully appreciate it, in my opinion. I've been told that the tour of the propagation area was special treatment for our HobbyGH group and may not be available, Sorry. Ric

This message was edited Feb 18, 2013 9:39 AM

This message was edited Feb 18, 2013 9:45 AM

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Sorry - should have reviewed the whole thread first!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh Happy, Not sure why you are sorry. I hope everyone that thinks they might be interested in coming posts when they would be most able to come. That way we can come to some conclusion on best dates. Maybe even more than one group. Depending on peoples different schedules we could end up with more than one group.

When we went last year it was with a group from our HGHA and we had a tour of the GH and propagating areas. I don't think they normally do that.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

I'm in. I can be pretty flexible with whatever date works out best. Even though I work M-F, if it would be better going during the week, I can definitely take a vacation day. I love that place. It is set in a wooded environment, so is relevant to what I am working with.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Jan How far distance or time wise from Annapoils to your house? Eastern Shore is preferred route for me.

I'm least sleep deprived/stressed on a Sunday. I'd love to roam when woodland ephemerals are blooming
Least favorite time is when it's hot and humid! So spring or fall work. Tell us more what can be seen.....

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Coleup, we always take 301. It is about 98 miles.

Odenton, MD(Zone 7b)

I am flexible about dates too. Would love to do this.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

A few more teasers! Ric

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Ric, what time of year did you all go? How many were in your group? Did you get a tour of the place in addition to the tour to greenhouse/propagation area? How long did your group stay? Are there diniing or picnic facilities there?

Some of us are better walkers than others...how are the trails and what is there to do if walking on trails is limited?

Thanks! Consider me duly pleased and teased by those pics....sigh.

Happy, would your projected route be via the Bay Bridge or more northerly? If anyone wants to do the Bay Bridge up 301, I can be helpful on timing to avoid "Reach the Beach" traffic patters Fri/Sat/Sun..

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I believe my date stamp was June 4th. The walking is very doable and all tours are led by a docent.
Yes they do have a picnic area. Ric
http://www.mtcubacenter.org/

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

coleup -- I'd do whatever the GPS tells me to! I don't recall if it went via the Bay Bridge, but I would think it would take a more northerly route.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

April 30 and later would work best for me... I think we're flexible through most of May right now

Day of the plant swap (which I think I have as May 18, Saturday, on my calendar -- is that right?) would work for me, but I agree there's never enough time to "visit" with everybody at a swap as it is...

Friday May 10 or Friday May 24 would be good weekdays for me... Those are Jim's "off" Fridays, so Joyanna would have the option of staying with him.

Maybe Aspen-Terri and Happy and I could drive up together, possibly get another person or two in with us?

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

You are correct on May 18 as the swap day!! Will be here before we know it.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Weekdays aren't easy for me, since I'm supposed to be working then.... if I plan to take off, an urgent project will often surface....

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

anyone going to the Philly garden show?
http://theflowershow.com/

This message was edited Feb 20, 2013 10:30 PM

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Nope, leaving for Portland on the second. Will be there til the 28th. My DIL is having back surgery, so I'll be there to help. Have fun!!!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

We need another thread for the Flower Show! I was hoping to go opening weekend, but one of Joyanna's bestest friends is having a birthday party March 2, so I will find another time.

thread for chatting about the Philly Flower Show: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1299439/#top

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.