Spring,Summer to Winter Rotation in the front gardens...

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

This message was edited Feb 26, 2013 1:11 PM

This message was edited Feb 27, 2013 8:21 AM

Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand
Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

that's a great idea! and those cabbages look terrific:)

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

This message was edited Feb 17, 2013 6:46 AM

This message was edited Feb 26, 2013 1:05 PM

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

haha, don't worry, those are the members that keep this website alive! it's true, some people will post something and never return to see the responses they got (or didn't get).
there are tons of members, but mostly the longest active members are on everyday. i find the Floridians to be nice people though.
i hope you feel welcome! i know cliques myself - being in high school ;)

it's nice to meet you!

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Great idea David to utilize all the space you can. Plus the bonus of fresh vegies. Can't beat that.
If I ever can overcome rabbits I fully intend to have my backyard vegie garden again as I love broccoli and eat it raw or cooked.

Our last attempt will be a strong fence imbeded in the ground and a gate to get tractor in to work it. Right now I am trying to get my husb. to start bldg. a bridge over my made pond. Seems it never ends. We are always bldg. or repairing something. The joys of home ownership.

Bonnie

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

This message was edited Feb 26, 2013 1:08 PM

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

I have collards growing out front, they looks so pretty right now.

As far as posting, for me, I know I read alot of threads on alot of forums, I cant imagine having enough time to comment on all. Alot of people that used to be on the FL forum have passed, some just moved on, and the ones that seem to be around have known each other for many many years, we WANT new blood, new people and new ideas. I would look at how many people view as opposed to reply. If they view it, they are interested. Some people dont see that well, some dont like to type, and some just are not that familiar with the computer.
I will say tho, there are a couple of forums I wont go near any more. I dont know why they dont just privatley d-mail each other, because they sure dont talk to you, respond to a specific question, and when they do respond, its to tell you your talking about the wrong thing.
I of course, left out the 'elephant in the room' in the FL forum. When Dave sold Daves, there was a big who-ha over some stuff written and those people got kicked off. Really sad and hurt Daves. They did the same thing in the daylily forum. it used to be thriving and one of the most active forums, very hard to keep it going now.
I personally love seeing your pictures.

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

without the people on DG, i have nearly no one to talk to about plants besides family. you know, since not many kids my age are interested.

I love the fellow Floridians :) i look up to so many of you on here, for your experience and knowledge. i'm glad for this website because i met a great person (not in FL) that has had an impact on my life.

it's a shame i didn't plant any cool greens.
supposedly going to be 33 degrees right before sunrise by me. i'm praying everything fares well. i couldn't cover anything tonight and still can't make it home. i don't have too many things to worry over though.

stay warm!

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

This message was edited Feb 26, 2013 1:13 PM

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Im really upset about this freeze business. I can get everything thru but, the blooming citrus is going to be toast.

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

yes, ditto the thanks gardenglory!

me too. sometimes only the name of a thread interests me.

i'm actually in St Cloud (Osceola). i know my location says otherwise - Orlando haha! well the good news is, according to Tom MacCubbin, covering flowers isn't too necessary tonight unless you are getting a hard freeze in the north or you have tender new transplants. and i just checked again, and tonight should be 35, so excited to sleep with socks - lol!

yes gardenglory, my lemon is blooming :(

This message was edited Feb 17, 2013 9:31 PM

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

This message was edited Feb 26, 2013 1:13 PM

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Well... how cold did it get? How well did things survive? I suspect (and hoping) all will be fine. Warmer temps coming your way.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Angel trumpets gone, huge banana on the patio, gone. Some flowers gone. All will come back, but it will take almost till october for them to come back the size they were. Weird thing is, the banana on the patio, under the screen and by the pool, got clobbered. Its usually a good 5-7 degrees warmer in there, I noticed the banana out bak under the oaks has shiny perfect leaves. Strange. Biggest bummer is all the blooming bushes now have brown flowers. I sure enjoyed them while it lasted tho.

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

that's odd that your bananas got that bad of a hit. it's funny how much tree canopy can help. but i would expect your screen to protect the bananas.
even the open and high canopies of the pines in the conservation areas protected the saw palmettos. i was looking at the frosted saw palmettos leaves and noticed they were fine around and under the pines. interesting.

i can't say i noticed any immediate damage. nothing visible that i can tell. everyone else's plants seem to be just as fine. the bananas on my neighbor's tree are probably no good but they are still hanging green.

the frost was heavier around the retention ponds.

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

This message was edited Feb 26, 2013 1:10 PM

Location, location, location... you make me want to move to Florida! lol

In previous experience, I've found succulents prefer to take on the freezing temps while very dry.
Tender, tropical plants need more water prior to frosts.

Gardenglory, is it possible that those were two different Banana cultivars? Just a thought.

Glad it was no worse for y'all.

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

This message was edited Feb 26, 2013 1:17 PM

Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand

Certainly not that depressing. I like TX but am charmed by aspects of your state also. The climate seems far more accomodating climate wise. Tell me what the 'red' is in your lettuce bed?

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Luckily my lettuce was in pots so I moved it inside. I put large trash cans over the smaller shrubs and all seem fine. Although I covered the Angel Trumpet, she is looking a bit wilted but the stems look fine.

I plan to plant tomato & zucchini plants out in front this Spring. The sun out front is a lot more consistant than in the back yard. And I figure the more plants I have out there, the less room for weeds to move in.

David - I enjoy looking at all your postings. Don't always respond but do always "look/read". Next time I'm down at the quilt shop, I hope to be able to stop by & see your gardens.

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

This message was edited Feb 26, 2013 1:18 PM

David ~ not to worry. I was curious if it was something other than lettuce but you answered that... thanks!

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

The Quilt Shop is just off 17, in with all the antique shops.

If it looks too good, I may kidnap you to come north & work on mine!!!!!

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

walking on the lawn and realizing most of the weeds were burnt up in the cold makes me feel good! those patches of very small clover type leaves, and the Alexander grass weed have crisped up nicely and hopefully that was a good portion of what would've been a nuisance in spring.

they're calling about 90 on Saturday! and just two mornings ago it was 30 something!

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

This message was edited Feb 26, 2013 1:19 PM

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

David,
Love that curly leaf red Kristi. I like color. Also, the flowers in front of the horse are beautiful.
Regarding stuff that survived and stuff that looks bad after freeze. I was told there are micro-climats within a short space.
Guess its so cause I've had some areas die out while others seem fine.
I have an Austrailian tree fern that I prize highly and whenever freeze threatens I haul out landscape blanket and light to put inside. I had one on ea. side of front door but right side died and I replaced it twice and then gave up. It got too much sun. They seem to like shade better as one that lived is now over roof of house.

My dgt. gave me a Japanese magnolia lst Mothers Day and I can't keep it looking good. Keeps loosing its leaves and looking dead. I've moved it 3 times to make it happy but its not working. Anybody got any ideas what I'm doing wrong? I have a rule 3 strikes and your out but I hate to yank out a plant and give up on it.

Sweedish ivy along 1 side of pond looks like somebody took a blow torch to it but it will come back. Angel trumpets wern't affected at all and just keep on blooming. Maybe cause its next to house.
Those vegies of Davids make my mouth water. Got to outsmart those rabbits so I can have backyard vegie garden again.

Happy gardening, Bonnie

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

I just tossed my tree fern, I just get them going an they get to much sun, cold or dry. Ive never seen any other plant that can take a bad turn so fast.
I didnt know Japenese maples grew in this heat. Good luck to you? Have you moved it from the ground three times in a year, or is it in a pot.

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

This message was edited Feb 26, 2013 1:16 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.