OVRG#197 Spring around the corner???

Lexington, KY(Zone 6b)

Janet, do you have a booth at the show? We're going Friday afternoon. I would love to come by and meet you!

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Janet, that is fine. I hear the sound of the tractor running as I sit here and type. We may just have to do a night time meeting! Seems that is all that happens when the weather gets nice, planting and gardening. Good luck with your schedule, and we will maybe have a rainy day soon that we can plan to meet. Would have to be spur of the moment, but I can do that.

Waddy, KY

Well, peas, carrots, beets, lettuce, and spinach are in the ground. If anything bothers to come up there's going to be a lot of stuff. Those rows are tobacco patch long. If possible I'll plant some of the onions before we leave for the Home and Garden show tomorrow. I'm hoping that we can maybe use the water wheel sitter to plant the potatoes. If we could I'd be one happy camper. Tired is what I am. Going to measure out some of the breads to bake tomorrow morning and heading to bed. I don't think there'll be any problems sleeping....

Janet, we got some garden planted today too. After that, DH spent the rest of the day plowing, or tilling neighbors gardens. Not a cent earned, but he does it for friends.

Went to the grocery today and took the Amish girl with me. Seems like when I have someone along, I do better time wise, so am not minding this arrangement at all.

Waddy, KY

I bet you spend less because you're not dawdling. That's how it would be if it were me.

I have a crack on the corner of my little finger that is killing me when I hit the shift key. Surely a major problem. Those cracks on the fingers can sure get sore especially if they're fairly new and you go play in the dirt.

E-mailed the fellow that's growing my cabbage. I'm getting closer to being ready for it. Hope to get the onions planted today before we leave for Lexington.

Gotta go!

Janet hope today is a great day for you guys. I am hoping that I can get out and get some things done outside, like put down the preen, should have done that weeks ago, but it is still needed.

Off to play in the dirt.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi Everybody,
Have been busy with my son home on Spring break. Today we are going to Dayton to the National Museum of the Air Force.
Hello and welcome to you Marcy. I am south of Dayton.
It was so nice outside yesterday. Was able to get some work in the garden done. I hope to get out in the garden when we get back from Dayton. I have a lot to cut back still. I leave a lot of my garden stand in winter for wildlife. Makes it easier in the fall. Not so much in the spring.
Well I better get going we need to head out for Dayton. Everybody have a great day and may the sun shine on you and your gardens.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Hey, folks, I'm checking in again. i've spent thhe last 10 days with an infected tooth root. Not a good way to celebrate spring! Root canal on Monday.
Welcome to taylordaylily and idealpeggy. My name is Pat and I live on the west side of Cincinnati. I grew up n Middletown and have lived or worked or gone to school in Spingfield, Mechanicsburg, Dayton in Ohio, and Portland maine and Rochester NY. I like to do genealogy and that takes me sometimes to eastern KY and Highland and Pike counties in Ohio.
Taylor, whereabouts are you in Hamilton? And peggy, what side of Lexington are you on?
I've been living with the noise of the Gamble house being destroyed this week. So far, the barn and a small caretaker's cottage are still there. It'll be interesting to see what happens to the property now. It's something like 14 acres, so I'm thinking maybe condos at some point.
I went to see War Horse this week with DS. It was really brilliant and really intense. I think you could sum up the plot with the idea that war is not good for anyone, man or beast.
That's about it for the exciting news from Westwood. Guess I'll get back to the taxes.
Pat

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Hello Goshsmom, I live up the road from Sevenmile. My son is in Edgewood schools.
Sorry to hear about your root canal. My DH just had to have one 2 weeks a go. Hope you feel better soon.
I worked in my garden most of the weekend. I'm just now getting most of it cut back.
I have to get back outside before it rains and get my Preen down. Have a good day!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

oh, sure, I know where that is. My ex-hubby used to live in Trenton, and several of his younger brothers live in and around there. Nice country. Well, it used to be country! Now it's definitely suburban, at least in Trenton.
It must be spring, because my cat Bruiser has started leaving me gifts on the back porch. A couple headless mice so far, but I bet I'll find a chipmunk or bunny within a week. Bruiser loves to hunt.

I was making grea strides withnfinding all the receipts i need for my taxes, but now I'm stuck because I cant find my 1099's! I'm turning everything inside out and upside down, and they're still missing. A few prayers would be much appreciated!
Pat

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Hmmmm. I tried to upload some pictures of my daffodils and my computer is sulking because it got "updated" to IE 10. So thanks to Microsoft's update, my computer cannot upload pictures. Good grief!
Pat

Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

Pat, I had the very same thing happen when the "automatic" update was installed. The grandkids from Texas in the bluebonnet fields that I get every year and dearly love, wouldn't save to anything or anywhere. I used the restore to prev. update that I found in the control panel. and restored to the previous IE update. now I can upload photos again. Maybe you can fine the restore feature on your computer. Maybe that will fix the problem. Lurker Lou

Lou, Pat, don't you just love the new and improved anything? Seems like it only brings problems that you never had before.

Pat, I am thinking I need to adopt a herd of cats to take care of the little ground squirrels that we have. I don't know what they are finding so attractive here, but I am getting tired of them. Sure hope the 1099's turn up so that you can finish your taxes. Wow, the deadline is just around the corner.

The WL said we would have rain today, and so far it hasn't materialized. I am betting that we will get some tonight, and did I go out and put the Preen down this afternoon, nooooo, so kicking myself in advance for that one.

Columbus, OH

No rain yesterday here, either. Supposed to rain all week, though.

The job of my new Invisalign trays is to de-rotate three teeth and straighten one of my front teeth left to right. t's not painful, it's just noticeable, unless I try to chew or bite into something. It wakes me up if I move in my sleep, so I was forced to read garden design books all night, now I have a new list of must-have plants. hahahaha

Waddy, KY

Well, that post I started just blinked into oblivion.

Was at the home and garden show in Lexington from Thursday evening to Sunday at 6 o'clock. Means you don't get a lot done at home but it was a good show. DH got some ground disked and slabbed yesterday before we left. As soon as I finish baking here this morning I think the onion are going to start going in the ground. I'll Treflan them before this rain comes in hopefully. Greenhouse said my cabbage and broccoli was ready. I wish DH had the water
wheel setter ready so I could use that to plant those and the potatoes but since he hasn't even picked it up I'm not holding my breath.

Met Peggy at the show. Too bad you don't get longer lunch hours. I think you, me and Bonnie would have a good time. Bons, if this rain pans out maybe this week? How much notice do you need?

Better get going. Still have to feed the bottle baby and sheep and put them out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~ to all!

Lexington, KY(Zone 6b)

Well, it was a really good weekend. Home Show Fri. nite-met Janet-so nice to get to meet you in person! I would ask for a longer lunch if you all could come to Lex. some time! Glad you all had a good show! It was pretty nice this year,we enjoyed it.
Saturday DH & I picked up wood for a new raised bed. Have to treat it with some natural preservative before we construct it. . .can't wait. This will be my first decent sized veggie garden. I'm running out of room for all my seedlings! I gardened most of Saturday-happy as a clam!
Goshmom, thanks for the welcome. You & I have a lot in common. My daughter's significant-other, or as she calls him, her "partner" lives in No. Ky. I too, am into genealogy, though I try to stay away from it when I have other things going because it's SO addictive. I lose all track of time. I'm pretty sure my gr.gr.grandparents lived in Highland Co. Ohio (is that Chillicothe?) when they were first married. He was a stagecoach driver. Any Scotts or Coons in your family tree?
We live on the SE side of Lex.-just off Richmond Rd.
We saw War Horse a couple of weeks ago, and I'm still trying to recover! How intense was that?!
Did you find your 1099's? If not, you could probably just ask for a copy (ies). Most companies wouldn't mind to do that for you. I'm a bookkeeper, so I know a little something about it. So nice to "meet" you!

Janet, I don't need much notice, but strike Thursday from this week, as I have plans for that day. Otherwise, it looks good from there on in. Hope you get some things accomplished. We just had some folks come and give an estimate on a new roof, so I am seeing $$ signs in front of my eyes.

I am trying to finish some laundry and other little chores then I am ready to go out and play in the dirt. DH just tilled a strip of ground, so don't know what he wants to plant, but I am rarin to go help!

Peggy that would be nice if we could meet for lunch. Janet is a sweetie, isn't she? Just wish she wasn't so busy that we could go to lunch more often.

Lexington, KY(Zone 6b)

Bonnie, yes, she sure is. . .can't believe all she does. Wears me out to just think about it! I asked her if there was anything she DIDN'T do, and she said she wasn't too good @ sewing-lol!

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Hello Everybody!
Goshsmom, Hope you found you 1099's. I put in a prayer for you. Oh, and can I borrow your cat for the summer. My garden has many bunny's and chipmunks. Those darn things eat everything in the spring. I have tried every thing on the market. The chipmunk will even sit on my raised bed and taunt me while he eats my plants. The bunny's just eat any lily I try to plant. I think the chipmunk may help them out on this one as well. My neighbor has a cat they let roam, however he only seems to eat my birds I feed and garden for. What can you do?

Glad the garden show went good. It's a shame it was on a nice weekend. That's how it seems to go for me all the time.
Hope every body has a great day. I'm going back out before the rain starts again.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I found the 1099's. Hurrah! And thanks for the prayers. I got the root canal over with this AM, so i'm feeling a lot perkier.
So Celene, what's on your new list must have plants, lol? How frigghtful that you were forced to read garden design books all night!
Lou, I may try the restore feature at some point. I am spending less and less time at the desktop and more on the ipad.
Peggy, Chillicothe is in Ross county, but it's sitting really close to both the Highland and Pike county lines. Send me any names you want me to look up and I'll be happy to see if I can find anything. And I knew what was going to happen in War Horse, while dear sis who accompanied me did not. She was practically shellshocked by the end, which is sort of how I felt when I saw Life of Pi. I guess it's nice to know that I can still be surprised at a story's twists and turns. The staging is still the most brilliant stage stuff I've seen since Les Mis.
Pat

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

I read this thread often 'cause I like y'all, but it's getting long and slow to load. Time for a new thread?

Lexington, KY(Zone 6b)

Goshmom, Oh No! I can see it coming. . .I'm going to get back into genealogy! That's very sweet of you. I shouldn't, but I will double-check- I'm pretty sure I found my gr.gr. grandparents & family in a Highland Co.census. I'll have to look to see what year(s). Best I remember there was a stagecoach station in Chillicothe (any info on that would be MOST appreciated), and like I said, he was reportedly a stagecoach driver. THANKS!! :)

Columbus, OH

My new must-haves: Tall agastache, Dalea purpurea, a new hardy hibiscus--Midnight something, it has dark foliage, Ann Folkard geraniums, Buddleia Evil Ways, hmm...I know there are more.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Pat and Peggy... you may suck me back in to genealogy again! I had ancestors in Chillicothe in the early 1800's (McNamer) and most left for Iowa around 1840. I've always wanted to visit Ross Co. and do some research.

Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

Thank goodness for text messages My Son in law teaches at Cyfair campus of Lone star College. All phone lines are busy but text got thru and he is safe and heading home. Whew!!! The students said they wished they had been able to carry on campus and could have stopped the attacker early on.

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Celene, Do you have any Agastache? I have "Blue Fortune" and "Black Addler". I love Hyssop and the hummers do as well. Your list sounds fun so far. You have good taste.

Pat, Glad you found your 1099's. We have camped at Pike Lake State Park before. They had something with trains a few years ago. Our son was into trains at that time. Wish I could go back to those days. It was a nice small lake and nice park.

Hope everyone is doing well and God Bless you all!

Lou, tell me what is going on in Texas. I missed the news tonight. Sounds like another shooting. Glad that your folks are safe. Pretty scary stuff for you I am sure.

I don't know if anything will come up, but DH took out a small tree, and asked if I wanted him to till up a flower bed where it had been. Sure, says I, so gathered some seeds and went out and threw them down, raked them in and watered. All kinds of annuals and perennials, so am hoping that something will come up and thrive in that place. I had delphenium, lupine, poppy calendula echinecea, mondara, you get the idea just seeds and they are in the ground!

Columbus, OH

I have the agastache with blue flowers and yellow foliage, can't remember the name. I've WSed some pink agastache, we'll see if that continues to be an annual for me here ;)

Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

Bonnie , a student went on a slashing spree thru the halls and cut people with a exacto type blade. Thankfully, only one of the victims is critical. Mental health issue again, I think. Seems the attacker is deaf and usually carried a stuffed animal around campus. The other students said if they had been allowed to carry on campus, he would have only hurt one person. A lot of Texans carry guns all the time, but the campus has some underage adolescents taking classes, so it is a no carry zone.

I read that in this mornings paper. So sad that people aren't diagnosed and just left to deal with life on their own and not have any medical help.

Today is grocery day, so am off in just a few, hoping that I can get home early enough to get some things done before the rains move in tonight and tomorrow.

Seymour, IN(Zone 5b)

It's spring time in Texas, and it is yearly ritual for families to take pictures of the family in the fields of bluebonnets. These are my precious grandkids!

Thumbnail by dispatcher1

Precious!

Hamilton, OH(Zone 6a)

Dispatcher1, Those are some cute kids. The flowers are pretty as well.
Glad your family is safe.

Celene, I have that as well I think it is Golden Jubilee not positive. It tends to be a biannual for me. It reseeds it's self well so I always have it. The others seem more hardy and they so not reseed on me.

Bonnie, Do you have luck with lupines in your area? I have never been able to grow them from seed. Good luck with your new bed! Thank you for reminding me to get my preen down. I had been busy and forgot about it. We have a lot of Maple trees around here and it can be a nightmare if I forget. I hope your able to get yours down before the rain.

Hope everyone has a blessed day!

Columbus, OH

Love the bluebonnet photos

Lexington, KY(Zone 6b)

Darius, it's easy to do (get back into genealogy)! My ancestors in that area were Scotts. You, Pat & I will have to meet up sometime and research together!
I too love the bluebonnet/children photos!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I'm closing this thread so we can start a new and faster loading one. So new folks, click on the link below and we'll continue all our discussions there. Post something, even "marking my place" so that you'll be notified when there are new posts added to the discussion.

Please go here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1306771/

pat.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~THREAD CLOSED~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This message was edited Apr 10, 2013 11:02 AM

This message was edited Apr 10, 2013 11:54 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.