What Veggys Are Planted Now?

Jacksonville, FL

I've noticed lots of ornamnetal threads,but few veggys growers in the Florida forum.

Don't get me wrong,I love all the beautiful flowers and plants too,but groceries are more expensive everytime we go shoping.Who here grows food?

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

This is a chart from UF. I looked thru it and agree with most of it. Problem is, this is a tricky year. I would not even try brocoli for instance now, its going to bolt to soon if it stays warm. If your starting from seed, you for sure want to start your tomatoes and peppers now, normally I would still plant lettuce, its grows fast, so you might be able to get some. I dont mess with corn, I dont have that much space, plus the bugs love it. I would start beans and cucumbers. One of my favorites..Okra, loves the hottest part of the summer, so I would hold off on that. Peppers love the heat to. I personally seem to have more luck with fall veggies, even tho I like the summer ones better.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/vh021

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

I've found growing veg in pots "extends" the season since I can move them in & out of sun or greenhouse. If I had know the winter would be so mild I would have kept my tomatoes going. I tend to stay almost 10 deg warmer than what is reported at JAX airport.

Right now my lettuce is loving this weather. I wish I'd put cabbage out as I drive by a property that has at least 12 large heads in their front yard. Next year I do believe that is where I will put my winter garden - in the front with a lot of sun.

This is the time to start seedlings - peppers, tomatoes, cuke, zucchini.

Of course most herbs are also going to love the weather we are having. I just keep large cardboard boxes & old trash cans on hand to put over them when we get down into the lower 30s.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Im upset I didnt plant any kale. Ive got more lettuce than I know what to do with. It sure is pretty tho. I grow my tomatoes and peppers in pots. I also grow sugar snaps in pots, up against the fence.
These are some turnips from the garden, they grow great, problem is, I dont like turnips or the greens ;-). Its fun to grow them tho, and people who like them love it when I give them some. Im warming up on the turnip, but altho I love the collards ( they grow great too), the turnip greens are just to bitter for me.
I like to grow squash too, its so easy. Thing is, its so cheap in the summer, less trouble just to buy it. I might try some patty pan or something like that. What I would really like to grow is acorn or butternut. Like watermelon, they take up to much space and are to iffy for the one or two a vine produces here. I do go to one of the u pick farms around here to pick beans, love them fresh, but dont really have that much space.

Thumbnail by gardenglory

I put a chain link fence across the back just so I can grow beans up it. I can get those going in a few weeks.
The only tomatoes I seem to have luck with are plum, grape, & cherry.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Hi hydrocharged, and welcome to DG! I've started growing some veggies on a small bit of ground this year. I've been growing perennials for years now, but I agree with you. The prices at the grocery are skyrocketing! This "Winter" (if you can call it that) I've tried my hand for the first time with Collards, Romaine, Leaf Lettuce, and Radishes.
Really I'm quite surprised at how well they've done with all the heat we've had. I agree with Qwilter, this is the time to start Peppers, Tomatoes, etc. That is , if you start your own seedlings. I've got my Peppers well under way. In fact I just graduated some this AM into larger pots. They're looking pretty good. I am not blessed with enough room for a greenhouse, so they are all starting under lights in my den. Seems to be working OK for now.
I'm also planning on some Cukes this year, but because of limited space, I'll be doing them in containers, growing up trellises.

Yeah, I agree, there is not a lot of conversation here in the Florida forum about veggies, but there is a good Vegetable Gardening forum on DG's. Not specifically Florida growing, but good conversation and information, none the less.

This pic is my little patch that I started this year….

What type of gardening do you do?

Thumbnail by tlm1
Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

I usually do put in a winter garden. Especially broccoli, brussell sprouts, potatoes, leaf lettuce, peas and collards but this year I have a rabbit epidemic so didn't bother. They love broccoli. Got to get all the garden fenced with movable gate so I can get the Kubota in and out to work the soil. Haven't done well with large tomatoes in a few years. Vine rot and blossom end rot gets them. I do better with the little tomatoes. Last winter I had some that grew 7 feet tall and we had to keep raising supports for them. Haven't been able to keep bugs our of our cantalops and store bought ones are awful.
Fresh produce prices are ridiculous now and its not that good cause its picked too early.
I like vegie gardening in the winter better than summer. I planted oka one year and we still have some in the freezer cause it grew like crazy. Black eye peas do well in the summer also.

Hydro,
I did great gardening in R.I. where I came from but here its a different ballgame but over the years you get used to knowing what will grow and what won't. I love yellow wax beans and some actually grew in my flower beds last year where I threw a few seeds in. During the summer too. Just try and see what grows best in your area. Gardening is a lot of trial and error and weather cooperation. Good luck. Fresh tastes a lot better.
Bonnie

Ft Myers, FL(Zone 10a)

Tomato, parsley, romaine and nappa cabbage, bok choi. I have a wild bunny, she loves the parsely best-hubby eats tomatoes off the vine ;)

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Glad I didnt buy those tomatoes I was eyeing at the garden center last week when it was 81. They would have been dead this morning, thats for sure.

Brought my lettuce & fennel inside these past 2 nites. Luckily they can go back out today.
My portable plastic greenhouses did the job & kept temps well above freezing. I did drape heavy blankets over the tops.

I harvested some lettuce yesterday. So glad that I did. We had some frost this morning. What I didn't get harvested, I covered, and so far so good. Didn't bother covering the Collards. I've been told that a bit of freeze and frost improves their flavor, and I hope that is true. This is my first time growing these, so I'm in that 'trial and error' period! :-) We'll see! Hope I'm not disappointed. Any of you have experience with them?

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Im looking at my collards out the window right now, some are a tad droopy, but they will be fine. The cold does make them sweeter.

Glad to hear that gardenglory! Mine were looking a tad droopy as well. I'm really looking forward to a successful pot full of greens. :-)

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

I just checked again, they are standing up straight and tall and getting a good sunbathing :-). Im happy about that for sure.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.