Lowes has Crinums!!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Only this type at mine. I have one in my yard - LOVE THE NIGHT FRAGRANCE!!!

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

Lol. I'll have to check it out. Thanks!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Ugh - photo didn't upload from phone...

Thumbnail by Chantell
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

so pretty!

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

So pretty. Not hardy, are they?

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Got em growing in my front yard - course as always....I've got that bit of a micro climate going on there. I believe Brent and Becky's says some are borderline hardy here though

Damascus, MD(Zone 7a)

Very pretty flowers! The leaves are interesting even when it is not blooming.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

The scent fills the yard at night...like an exotic perfume...I love them

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Chantell -- do all crinums smell great?

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Hmmmm good question...sadly I don't have an answer. The ones I got from Brent and Becky's never did anything. I only know about the one in my yard and it smells heavenly...

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Sure are pretty, I'll have to check out our local Lowes and see if they have any.

Fairfax, VA

Bought mine 3 years ago in Fairfax and they are doing great!!!! Blooming, multiplying.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

marvienemo - what store in Fairfax? Merryfield or Betty's Azaleas?

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I didn't realize Betty's Azaleas has anything but azaleas!

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

oHHHH Devon - they have ALL kinds of stuff incl cold hardy Gardenias!!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I went to Lowes yesterday and did not see any of the Crinnums.
Were they in the packaged bulbs?
I did look at them all--lots of good stuff...$10/bag nowadays--WOW!
The yard was bare--only some freshly arrived fruit/berries packages- Fruit trees too.

I did buy two clearances plants--like I need any more!

One was an Angel Plant--Diefenbachia--repotted that in a slightly bigger pot--79 cents.
The other was a really cute Dracena Fragrans--"Sol Cane". Never seen foliage like this on a Dracena...
It was in a stone, round pot--and, because of that, cost me $6.49. Will be nice to see it grow out.

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Chantell -- maybe we can have a mini-field trip to Betty's? I've never been there.

Fairfax, VA

I found the crinums at Merryfield on Route 29.I did not see any at Merryfield yesterday. I recommend calling them as to availability. A trip is great but I end up spending hours there and never leave empty handed.For really wide range of unusual plants cannot be beat!

Although I have not seen crinums there, I do HIGHLY RECOMMEND BETTY'S!!! Much more than Azaleas. They don't put on a terrific "front" (not as "polished" as Merryfields). They have a selection of trees and scrubs that will knock your socks off! Staff is polite, friendly, helpful, knowledgeable without cloying or pushing. Plants have been uniformly healthy, and well priced. They have bird seed, bulbs, mulch, stones, annuals....and no, I don't work there.

I have seen many varieties of crinums listed in the Plants Delights Catalog. This nursery is run by Tony Avent in Raleigh, North Carolina. They are liberal in their ideas about plant hardiness, and will answer questions seriously over the phone. There is a website as well, easily found. Strong customer support, mail order plants. It is worth it to get a copy of their catalog.

This message was edited Feb 15, 2013 12:38 PM

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Great info Marv!!
Devon - absolutely!

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Chantell -- I'll dmail you -- sounds like a plan. I may get a fragrance (fragrant!) education to boot!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.