Confederate Rose

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

I planted some Confederate Rose from seeds this past spring,
and they only got up to about 6 or 8" tall. The frost has already gotton them now so I was wondering if it would come back next year? This plant also seemed to be a slow grower for me, is this normal? or do they usually grow faster? Like I said, I planted mine around the middle of May and it just didn't grow much. I planted some in full sun, and some in part sun and they are both about the same size. Does anyone know if this plant will come back next spring? or will I have to plant more seeds?
TIA
Mollybee

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

molly, it's supposed to be a perennial for us. I just started mine this year, but from cuttings. I'm hoping they come back, you can't buy these in a nursery!!

Ada, OK(Zone 7a)

I used to live in GA, and i have a question... is the confederate rose the same thing that some people call the cherokee rose & you see the vines growing wild along side the roads on the fences? Was just wondering

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

no, they aren't the same. Condederate rose is in the hibiscus family and a cherokee rose is a rose. But I've never seen one and i've lived here my whole life.

Ada, OK(Zone 7a)

thanks for the info tiG :o)

"down the Shore", NJ(Zone 7a)

Mollybee, I would have expected them to grow much taller by now. They should come back in the spring from the roots, tops will die off. Remember that hardy hibiscus are slow to break dormancy in spring! I would plant some more seeds though, just in case; maybe start them earlier under lights, middle of March in your area? John

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

Thanks John, I was soo looking forward to this plant getting really big. But since it didn't I was thinking that it would probably do better next year, Glad to know that I can look for it to come back next spring. I think I will probably start some more seeds in early March just to be on the safe side.
Thanks dude!
Mollybee

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

I got a conf. rose from a neighbor a few years back and it seemed to be slow to get any height. Stayed around six feet the first year. I dug it up and moved it the next year and it still didn't get over 6-8 feet tall, but after that, it really took off.

This message was edited Thursday, Nov 1st 1:46 PM

Kentwood, LA(Zone 8b)

A confederate rose needs plenty of "water". the more water the taller they get. To keep them as a bush plant in a dry area, if you want a tree plant where they can get unlimited amounts of water. If your winter is mild and they are planted next to a building they will not freeze back. I have two at the back of my house that are at least 20 ft. tall, also the white ones that are in the yard only get 10-12 ft. because of lack of water.The flower size is larger when they get plenty of water also.Some are larger than saucers.

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

WOW Busybee,Thanks for all your info! All this has been very helpful, and I do have 2 plants that I planted up against the house, so after reading your post, I think I will be in luck at least with those 2 plants.
Thanks again!
Mollybee

Newberry, FL(Zone 8B)

glad for that water info.... i put mine in last summer, and it just never seemed to want to grow so i kept fertilizing it, it got lots of water cause it is near some brugs i baby, and it finally went to maybe 10 feet tall. it didn't really bloom last year, boy did i enjoy it. the days were relatively cool towards the end and some of the flowers seemed to take 2 days to really turn pink.

Lake Mary, FL(Zone 9b)

the confederate rose i'm familiar with is also called a cotton hibiscus. actually it is a member of the mallow family and not a hibiscus at all. the blossom should start the day as a white flower, fade to a pink tint by 9-10 a.m. and finally end the day as a red flower. of course it is possible that we are talking about two different plants although all the messages in this thread would also apply to the plant with which i am familiar. i have recently rooted several and given them away to friends who also complain about their slow initial growth. one redeeming quality is that once they start the growth the take off! defjef

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

WOW I had forgotton all about this thread. To give you a update on my Confederate Rose, it is all of 3' tall! That is it!!! No taller. It did get about this tall last year too, and pretty much stayed the same on up until frost killed it back. Guess I need to move it huh?? It gets pretty much full to part sun and seems like a healthy plant other than the fact that it don't get tall. No blooms ever eaither! Still waiting on that part too :(

Pretty sure it is the same as you are talking about Defjef.

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Is this what ya'll are talking about? Mine get huge and had one bloom in May this year! I will bring you a rooted cutting if you come to the Ga swap Mollybee.

Thumbnail by weeds
Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

That's it!! I'd love to have a rooted cutting! I'll be there far as I know.
Can't wait!

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Ok, got you one rooting right now. That ought to get you there!

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

Hee hee you're right! Thanks

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

I had one I overwintered in the basement and it was about a foot high when I planted it after the last frost. It died back and never came back out. I had three I left in the ground overwinter and they are about 18 inches high now.

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

They like sun. My mother grew them in Valley, Al. THey would come back and hers use to get about 8 to 10 ft tall. She did not cut them back and they would put out leaves all over the limbs.

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

I have always just left mine and let the frost kill it back. Of course mine has never been any taller than 3' at the most!

Murrells Inlet, SC(Zone 8a)

I have confederate roses and they are perrenial and they do grow quite fast here for me. Mine sprouted in march and is over 7ft tall already. The cherokee roses are beautiful. They have snow white blooms and go all the way up to the top of some of the trees here. I don't actually have one but would love to. The flowers look just like the seven sisters rose having only four petals. They bloom around easter here in zone 8 S.C.

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

They grow super fast here too.They get killed back each year, but come back bigger than ever..Mine are already 10-12 feet..They have never seen any fertilizer..
Larkie

Murrells Inlet, SC(Zone 8a)

this is probably going to surprise a lot of you I know it sure surprised me. I was making rounds through the garden a few days ago checking this and that and happened to find flower buds on my confederate rose. It apparently is very confused because it has never bloomed before october. It did bloom last year in september but that is the earliest it has ever bloomed.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

So can someone tell me if they are hardy in zone 5? I can't seem to find anything definite. Thanks

Cassopolis, MI(Zone 5a)

Brugie
they are hardy here in zone 5a, I have had hardy hibiscus up until we moved last fall. Mine got approximately 6 to 8 feet tall.
It seems to me I just read something about hibiscus and fertilizer and I don't know if I dreamed it up that I saw something about them not liking fertilizer, or if I actually read it so I am off to do some investigating.
I will try to come up with what I was reading and post.
Alice

Camilla, GA(Zone 8a)

The Conferderate Rose is not the same as the regular hardy hibiscus.. These are only hardy from zones 7, I think.. I am in zone 8, and when having a very harsh winter, I have lost a few to freezing ground..They agrow 10-12 feet in a year here for me..
Larkie

http://www.floridata.com/ref/h/hibis_mu.cfm

Cassopolis, MI(Zone 5a)

Larkie
I am really sorry, I would have sworn I had a hibiscus by that name. I really am starting to worry about my brain now. Thanks for straightening me out before someone took my word for something that was wrong.
Thanks
Alice

Needville, TX(Zone 9a)

Does anyone know if there is a pink variety and a red variety of confederate rose or are they the same?

Needville, TX(Zone 9a)

thanks for the info Georgaredclay .... http://davesgarden.com/t/404804/

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Hey, weeds! Wish I had seen this before the GARU... I'd have asked you to bring me one. Maybe next year?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.