What's happening in your neck of the woods - 2013

Victoria Harbour, ON

Just posting a quick hi..been in bed with the flu..only got up for washroom and once at 8am.called at 4am knowing he said he'd be here at 8' left voice mail at 4am saying don't come, who isat my door at 8am but Bernie's..covered my face in hopes I'd keep germs all to myself..no work tomorrow and perhaps Tuesday

Calln for freezing rain grrr

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Betty - sure hope you feel better soon..........

Thunder Bay Ontario, ON(Zone 3a)

Feel better soon Betty.
I hear a lot of people are down with that flu.

We got about 10-15cm of heavy wet snow overnight, so, I know what we'll all be up to today.
Lorna's parents have company from South Hampton and it's freezing rain there in King City.

Off to have a cuppa then go out and TRY to help with the snow removal.

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Trying to settle my tummy down, thought if I had a hot bath and something on my tummy it might help..not so sure but worth the try.

Drizzle this am, not quite freezing rain, few degrees lower and we'd be in trouble ..
Did hear Toronto got it though..day for staying in for Lorna's parents and company..easy to fall and with ice yuk easy to do and break bones

Hope the tummy responded to your TLC Betty.
My MTX pills snuck up on me again around 11am ... like someone opened a valve and let out all the air that was buoying me up !
Rested a bit, but, I am just NOT good at that.
Getting ready to 'bag' dog food this afternoon .. one of the drawbacks of feeding raw food .. has to be divided up and packaged and frozen.
Think I'll hit the shower before that ..

~M~

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Marilynne and Betty, hope you both have some relief from your "yechy" feelings.
The east sure got a lot of snow with this last storm. Stay inside and rest if you can.
Susan, I know there is a job out there for you.

We have sunny skies and melting snow which prompted me to pull all my stored Cana's out of the cold room. Yikes! not one made it. That's what I get for not doing my usual routine in the fall. Had an early cold snap that meant I didn't use my regular method and they all rotted. I've had one Wyoming clump for 7 years. Oh well I guess this means I'll have to check around to get some root corms and start again. Begonia's saved are sprouting and 4 of 6 saved have signs of growth. My geraniums that were bare rooting are mostly starting again so I will be able to get some cuttings started early. Now I just have to get some seeds organized.

I finaly have my BP under control and don't have headaches all day, every day so yahoo!!
I am looking forward to spring and lots of light now.
Bye for now

Alberta Ann

Victoria Harbour, ON

AlbertaAnn, not only is it nice to see you post but I'm thrilled you got your blood pressure under control,nothing worse than trying to get through a day fighting a headache...are you now on meds?

Never have much luck with canna's overwintering..main drawback is by the time the church has its plant/bulb sale its late to plant and hooe for flower.

Do have a geranium plant that is doing well in the back bedroom, the other I put in back closet and haven't watered looks completely dead, wonder if I should water or if looking dead is the thing it does while overwintering?

Was nice all day, missed the freezing rain, all of a sudden it's snowing to beat the dickens..could only hope for a Snowday. Give me an inch and I want a mile lol

"M" sounds like a lot of work making/bagging dog food..wow you are ambitious even when you aren't feeling the best.

Not sure about going into work tomorrow, still not 100%, that one more day might be the best thing for me.

Aunt Muriel dropped in for a few minutes, told her not to, didn't want her to catch what I have but she insisted..brought me 2 pairs of antique pillowcases, we're my aunt's grandmother from Ireland..the Crocker is outstanding..don't think the. We're ever used..one set done in clovers and other in fan...not sure what I shall do with them but sure I will find a home for them

Back to resting

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Yahoo for your BP being down, Ann!!
Almost thinking maybe the Lord wants me to do more stuff with the Church and give up getting paid LOL LOL LOL

Good for you having been able to stabilize your BP Ann :-) Always a good thing ..

Betty, how are you feeling today ? Am hoping better .. I know I am .. still a bit dizzy, but, I find it tolerable, was able to go out with Gordon today and do some shopping .. lordie some of the streets (side) are a MESS from the weekends storm. Obviously people did NOT adhere to 'calendar parking rules' .. some streets are in very bad shape.
Had to pop by the dentists office, one side of his building is bordered by a side street, quite treacherous.
Lorna's Aunt and Uncle headed back to South Hampton this morning, said the road were icy (ish).

Susan .. are you alluding to the fact you might 'retire' ^_^
I'm busier now than when I worked !!!

Best get back to my book ..

TTFN

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Marilyn - can't afford to retire - only have $400 in my rsp's, so I don't work, I don't earn. No workie, no earnie......

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning, at work today, takes a bit of getting used to. Sunshine out there, can almost feel spring, well not really but I'd like to think it's right around the corner..weeks are moving so quickly it soon will be.

Noah spent the night with me, says he'll do it again tonight..nice to wake up in the morning to have someone to gab with so thought I'd go on my lunch to pick something up for him for Valentines Day for him.

Sure could get used to staying at home but like you say Susan, no work, no $$$...financially I could if I didn't want all the toys and travelling I do so it's a toss up, what to do, what to do.

Good to hear you're feeling better Betty .. must have been nice to have Noah over for a sleepover too ..
Good luck finding something for him for VDay .. Gosh, the stores are so LOADED with stuff it's hard to choose ..
Went to Dollarama today and bought some cards, AND .. hang on .. a SUN HAT !!!! Pushing the season just a bit .. a loving nudge ^-^
Couldn't pass it up for $3.

Early day tomorrow, lab work and docs appt .. likely leave with a referral to an orthopedic surgeon .. BLAH !!!!!!!!!!!! Have still NOT come to grips with this whole arthritic thing .. seems to have just POUNCED on me !!

Enjoy your evening everyone, and

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY (early)

Thumbnail by MarilynneS
Victoria Harbour, ON

Glad I'm not paying dentist bills "m"' bought lots of treats seeing Noah is here for the evening again..thought he'd spend time seeing grandma isn't well.

Had to laugh, said in family studies today he learned how to sew..doing an owl project..says its not easy sewing with a needle..asked if he enjoyed it, said nope but got to do it. Looking forward to seeng it.(grin)

Sorry you are still hurting..sure did come on quickly..

Lordy a sun hat?? You are rushing things. Lol

Victoria Harbour, ON

Happy Valentines Day everyone!!

Woke up to a lovely email from Darlene, she found a perfect place in Florida, will be going to buy it if she can make contact with owner today.

Off to get breakfast for Noah..

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

yaaaaaaaaaay for Darlene!!

Nice Darlene found a suitable place that she likes ^_^
My cousin had a little bit of frantic this morning re Florida .. all of a sudden he heard he had to have an INTERNATIONAL Drivers Licence to drive in Fla. He and his wife are leaving tomorrow ..
He buzzed down to the CAA office, line up out the door .. after 4 hours,and $25. he had the document, got home, only to learn on the evening news that the State of Fla rescinded the request !!

Saw my doc today .. MRI results held NO good news for me .. he is going to wait to refer me to an orthopod, he wants me to have a few more doses of the 'drug' I take on Fridays under my belt as it sometimes work in 3-4 months ..
As I am NOT a fan of surgery, I'll go with the drugs.
My blood work was a bit wonkie as well .. but.. I think that'll straighten out ...

Had both breakfast AND lunch in town with Gordon .. cooked salmon tonight .. so easy, and so good ..

Off to perhaps finish my book ..

CHEERS everyone

~M~

TGIF !!!
Just had a 'text chat' with Murray and fam .. they are having a most excellent time on their vacation. They were able to visit a school and a hospital yesterday and distribute the 'gifts' they brought with them .. all were well received and the grandkids sure saw what life is like from another perspective.

The cold has returned to TBay .. have decided to make today a stay at home day .. I'm in no rush to do anything of import today.

Enjoy your weekend

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Waving 'hi'
I will still contact CAA "M" before leaving for Florida in a few weeks..my concern is IF you were to have an accident you know how insurance companies can be, because the law will still be on the books they could say we (I) aren't covered..you'd almost think I don't trust insurance companies...

Sorry to hear "M" that you didn't get news..think I'd go for as long as drugs can help then guess it would be bite the bullet and try surgery..worrysome for sure.

My girlfriend Dianne asked about a month ago if I'd take her to Buffalo re shopping for fabrics for a few quilts she wants to do..finally told her if she wanted we could go Saturday early a.m. and come back later during the day..makes for a long one but seeing as she is not a shopper its do-able.

Just dozing off last night and she called, I had mentioned going after work today then leaving earlier tomorrow, didn't much care for that idea but thought about it I guess and called asking if we could. Out of a sound sleep I booked hotel room, packed what I thought I'd have all evening to get ready in a hurry this morning, most are mailing for USA Post Office, worked on more here at the office so I think all is in order. I get off at 3pm so she'll meet up with me here. So we wouldn't have 2 cars, Suzanne picked me up this morning..I'm usually the driver, but with Dianne driving she may just want to do it all herself..ok with me lol Do have some supplies I need to finish all the tops I have ready for quilting so with President Day Sales, maybe we can get some good bargoons lol

Lunch time, if I don't get back before I leave, have a great weekend!

Given the 'PEACE SIGN' to everyone, bout all I'm up to today .. yuk, took the meds last night, and have been in bed 90% of this Saturday.
This was the eigth dose, and I really am hoping this is an anomaly this time.

Murray and family are feeling the anti climacticness (is that a word) of a wonderful vacation coming to an end. I know what it feels like, and hate that they have to go through this phase, BUT, it does make making plans for the next trip that much easier ^_^

Back to my book., and, no doubt to sleep !!

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

What a drag "M"' here is hoping tomorrow is a better day.

Always sad when you are having a great time and know the cold and white stuff along with the routine awaits you...yep, can start planning next year's holiday while flying home!

OMG Betty, it's -30C here this morning .. Murray has already texted me, they are about to have breakfast by the pool and, spend the day sunning and relaxing either by the pool, or, in the ocean.
I didn't have the heart to tell him the temperature, AND, the fact that on Monday we are 'expecting' 10cm of snow !!
But, that's life.

How was your boodle across the border ? Hope you were able to find materials for Dianne.
Reminds me, I should have a parcel at the border any day now, mayhaps Lorna and I will drive along further and have lunch at a very nice place by the lake .. guess it'll depend on the weather. Always a crap shoot at this time of the year.
We were/are considering a get away to Winnipeg (maybe) .. again, weather is a factor .. but, it'd be nice to go. It's a 6-7 hour drive, but a nice drive, just that driving IN Winnipeg is horrendous.
When I was there during Lorna's ordeal, Echoes (Brenda) and her awesome hubby Connor picked me up in their Saab convertible, on a hot and sultry September evening and we went for ice cream, it was SO appreciated and HE did the driving LoL
I remember one of the ambulance drivers saying (when Lorna was transferred from one hosp to another) that the drivers in Wpg had gotten worse during his years behind the wheel of the ambulance .. he advised me to take cabs where possible, i paid heed to that ..

Have promised Date squares, so, had best get the dates out and start chopping .. am making Murray and fam a casserole to leave in their fridge for Tuesday .. just something simple, I SO remember what it was like to come home and have to start cooking .. it's sure nothing fancy, but something they ALL like (miraculous in itself) !!

Best get a move on, stripped the beds, now have laundry to do .. ya see that .. starting to bite off more than I can chew !!!

Enjoy your day

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning, didn't check the temps but it's bitter cold, actually house and trees are saying ouch, can hear them crackling soooo must be one of the coldest days.

Must have had rain over the few days I didn't use the vehicle, took over 1/2 hour to melt the ice on the windshield so I could go to Foodland. Have company coming any minute so I can help her make placemats..drats, I'm ready for bed, been up since just after 3am..

House cleaned, craft room organized..most of the dust dealt with..floors washed..now I'm nodding off..c r a z y!

Love date sqares..was just saying to Dianne yesterday, must be 30 years since I've had date pie..yikes..think I meant figs. Lol. Will have to tell her.

When you say you might go to Winnipeg, here I'm thinking it's quite a trip for you and Lorna but perhaps not.

Feel chilled, just turned off the fireplace in the living room, best I go put it back on...

Poor Murray and family.....

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

oh Marilyn - how I envy you your trip to Winnipeg - want to go SO much to visit my family.....
I'm saving the Air Miles..... have 1320, and need 1475...... 155 to go, and we're watching our $$......

Betty - have you ever been to the Burger Barn in Brantford? It was featured on "You Gotta Eat Here" tv show tonight, and the burgers look...... WOW HUGE!!

Still in the 'planning stages' Susan, happily it's a driveable distance for us .. altho, the air travel is less than hour. Have to balance all the variables .. but, realistically, travelling by car is the best bet as Lorna has 'equipment' that would have to travel with us.

We got SNOW overnight, I'd way about 5cm. With that are temps that are not too shabby .. better than -30C !!

Family Day here in Ontario, think Gord and I will be heading over to Murrays to check things out. He has 2 friends checking the house as well .. I'm making them a casserole so they don't have to worry about their supper Tuesday night ..

Spent a few hours DOWN yesterday .. my own fault, did WAY too much. Breaking that pattern is NOT easy !!!

Betty, you certainly are a busy lady .. hope the placemats turned out well ^_^
Are you feeling better?

I best get to cubing ham and shredding cheese for the casserole .. seems everyone is sleeping in here except the animals and me LoL

TTFN

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning, clear day here but bitter cold..glad it will be a Jammie Day. Lol

They will love coming home to a home cooked meal..you are so thoughtful even when you are down..

I also when travelling consider driving..when you add in drive to airport, parking issues, hours you have to be at airport before catching the plane, getting to where you want to go, renting a vehicle etc etc. might as well drive. When exactly are you planning your trip? Spring?

Darlene called me yesterday, I will leave around March 15th, fly down then pack up her vehicle and head home so that I'm back for Easter. She bought a place but won't take it over until April when the owner gets his new trailer delivered but she can leave much of what she bought down there stored in one of the rooms. I'm looking forward to heading down there..

Likely a busy travel year, Florida in March, perhaps Jamaica for nieces wedding in May, Florida again for DG reunion, New Orleans/Branson 1st week of August then back to Florida in November..add trips to Buffalo and I just know I won't be saving pennies this year. Lol. Oh well, only live once right?

Roger's cousin's wife enjoyed her day..had the 12 tops of the placemats done when she left, knows how to finish, if not she will call..here and there I quilted another 6 placemats, added the borders, got 2 finished and will take the other to work tomorrow to hand sew..

Today I'm finishing come hell or high water 2 centers that were sent to me in an ongoing swap, one is Susan's, beautiful piece. Bit complicating as the border sent has a black border so traditional way of adding it to the center doesn't work..pattern and size makes it mind boggling for metering but I'll struggle through and be glad it's finished and on its way.

Should follow your lead "M" and find something to cook that is easy but tasty for supper tonight.

Yep, Family day, Greg and family are gone snowmobiling to the islands Orth..Jeff and boys are away skiing..glad they enjoy, me, I'm happy just to float around the house from interest to interest.
Sure was a tired girl last night, was up just after 3am..did sooo much cleaning that today I simply had to make my bed. Feels nice..

Always do one household chore each day, maybe I could include the junk box!

Victoria Harbour, ON

my visitor hard at work
when finished, she will have 2 sets of 6

Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Got this link in email today .. interesting, would be well used here today ^_^

https://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=IAufE_6PllU

Your 'student' certainly looks engrossed in her work Betty ..

Murray just texted me, they are taking their final walk on the beach, then off to the airport .. flight leaves at 4pm .. they go to Toronto, then on to TBay .. I can almost feel the sadness in their texts.
Hopefully the casserole and muffins will cheer them up LoL

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Marilyn - wish we had that snowplow HERE! Can well believe it's usefulness in BC as well as Ontario, and down east in the Maritimes........

Quite the plow (plough) huh?
From what I hear it must be used near Betty's neck of the woods.
Snowed here 'a bit' again last night, just enough to 'pretty up' the Evergreens .. I never tire of looking at them when they're flocked with snow .. mind you .. the temps are NOT nice .. back to -25C

Off to the city today, need gas for the SUV as well as some groceries ..
Murray and family arrives about 10 minutes late last night at 1150pm from Toronto, all of them were minimally sunburned .. they had tried to squeak out those last few hours in the sun and the sand ..
They're glad to be home, and, their dogs are ecstatic !!

Hope everyone has a great day ^_^

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Yes, quite the plow!!

Flashback to April 2nd, 2011 – almost 2 years ago.
I fell on my left knee on ice/snow. Dr. had it x-rayed, said it was a sprain, and I was on crutches for a month.
My chiropractor said I had very little cartilage in that knee.
Flash forward– I've quit that Dr, and started with a new one as of Nov 2012.
Today my Dr felt the area and found a (Major!!) pain spot (almost hit the ceiling when he pressed it!)
He’s ordered an MRI on a semi-urgent and thinks I've torn something. I’ll get an app’t within a month, and he’ll see me a week afterwards when he should have the results.
Oh, and he thinks that I may be doing more damage to it by all the walking I'm doing (which I was doing because of the osteopenia/bone loss he diagnosed me with in December – can’t win for losing, eh??!).
So, for awhile I’ll be curbing my walking, and wait to see the results of the future MRI.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Long day so just waving as I head for bed...

Ouch Susan

Calling for storm..I'm hoping it's a Snowday..lol

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

take care Betty!

OUCH Susan!!
Sounds as though you might have torn the meniscus? As you say, the MRI will tell .. good luck with that and I sure hope the pain in the knee isn't too intolerable.
Lorna's only knee, her right one, has an meniscal tear, they offered physio first, followed by (if she wanted) a cortisone injection. She did about 2 months of physio, basically shoring up the muscles in and around the knee, and, she continues the exercises everyday (twice a day) at home, with, I am happy to say, GOOD results. She has not needed a cortisone shot.

Did you get a storm Betty ? A snowday would be nice for you ^_^
We are in the deep freeze still ..but, February is creeping along, almost outta here .. I always feel that ending Feb. and heading into March is a good thing ..
Easter Sunday falls on March 31 this year .. early .. last year it was April 8 (Lorna's Mom's BDay) .. and Austin's BDay is April 10 so we had kind of a double celebration .. AND .. we had a wicked snowstorm mid April last year too.
Ahh well .. I do imagine Spring is out there somewhere trying to decide when to drop in on us :-)

I printed off a 'method' of starting seeds in the home. It's done with the cardboard insert from paper towels, or, toilet paper .. it looks easy, and, once the seedlings sprout and grow, you simply transfer the carboard containers into the prepared earth in the garden. Thinking of pre starting tomtatoes, but, not until mid April or later .. wouldn't be able to plant them outside until AFTER Father's Day .
Imagine, thinking about planting stuff already ..

Off to bake an apple pie, found a super nice bag of BC Macs yesterday ^_^

Toodles

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

Morning all..buses were cancelled, snowing and blowing but drove into work, why, not quite sure lol

Easter is early..I'll be in Florida the week before and driving Darlene back home and hoping we miss the Easter travelling traffic of snowbirds coming home from Florida.

You keep talking pies "M" think maybe this weekend I'll make a few. To date I've nothing planned except staying home and playing..heck who knows, might put my jammies on Thursday night and take them off on Monday when getting ready for work..wouldn't that be a perfect weekend.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Quite the storm you had, Betty!
Marilyn - thanks for the heads up on the meniscus tear...... looked it up, and wouldn't you know it - the pain is on the inside of the knee..........
Anyway, not sure it is a meniscus tear until I get results, but suspect you're right (you're Such a good nurse, m'dear!)
I saw something on treatment, and it sounds about right - cold compress, certain exercises, etc.
Wonder if the exercises my chiropractor was suggesting would have been good or bad for the knee. He was saying, when I was sitting down, to put my knee up, and press outwards (outside part of knee down) and this would stretch the ligaments to help repair the sprain (this is when my previous Dr said it was sprained, and the Chiropractor didn't disagree....)

Freezing rain greeted us this morning, had to cancel an appt. Not important enough to have to drive in the stuff.
Mind, the temps have risen, so, some silver lining in the clouds ^_^

Susan, Lorna does a set of exercises, can't say as she dows that particular one .. does 2 sets of 20 straight leg lifts, one where she sits on a chair and simply raises her right foot up and down on the toes 20x and then the heel. She does few stretches as well .. all I know is she is dedicated to these exercises as they have helped her immensley.

Haven't seen anything posted from ViolaAnn since the beginning of Feb. Sure hope she's ok ..

Guess I should decided what's up next .. or not LoL

~M~

Victoria Harbour, ON

The dreaded freezing rain..place to be is home safe and warm!

Did say by days end we might get the same but nice and clear right now.

Our ViolaAnn is so very busy with her music/daily and travel..bet she is just enjoying life!

Wonderful that Lorna is so dedicated to excercizing, wish I could get into a routine..wii fit sure was a waste of $$$.

Only REAL excercize is cutting grass and gardening.

3 more hours and my shift is over..had 4 calls, 2 being staff..Fridays are always soo quiet..thrilled I can work from home.

Been craving raisin pie..said I will stay in Jammie's all day but just might head to a bakery. Lol

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

ooooooooh Betty - now you have me thinking about raisin pie...... love, love, love it! Don't get it much, cuz Bob doesn't like it, and a lot of people here don't understand it....... ?!?!?! go figure....... lol

Raisin pie was my maternal Grandpas favourite .. I never developed a like for it as I found it to be too sweet, at least the recipe my Grandma used made a very sweet pie.

~M~

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

and it is my mom's favourite - every Christmas it was a traditional staple at our house!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.