February's Fabulous Flowers

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

Big ole white Phal is gearing up...

Rhynchostylis gigantea peach something ( tag's too faded to read the rest) Not too sure I like the fragrance of this one...and it's pretty potent in the afternoon when it warms up.

The one Floozie in the bunch, finally found the tag to this stuffed under the extra pot it was setting in.Blc mem. anna balmores convex
Dendrobium Blue Twinkle to the right.

Thumbnail by mjsponies Thumbnail by mjsponies Thumbnail by mjsponies
Auburn Four Corners, PA(Zone 5a)

Hi Everyone! Lots of beautiful orchids . . . I've skimmed over the past few months. Several are now on my wish list.

I'm months behind posting. Some of these have finished blooming, but still deserve their day on the boards, I think. Hopefully you'll agree:

Blc Prada Green x Erin Kobayshi 'Lakeview'
Catasetum pileatum 'Red Pena' (2 shots)
Chia Lin Shinsu #1, which was out for Christmas
Pot Marlene Lundquist 'Carmela'

Thumbnail by PinetopPlanter Thumbnail by PinetopPlanter Thumbnail by PinetopPlanter Thumbnail by PinetopPlanter Thumbnail by PinetopPlanter

Here's another of the lip on Chia Lin 'Shinsu #1'

Thumbnail by PinetopPlanter

Catasetum pileatum 'Oro Verde'

This just finished blooming. The blooms were about 3-times the size of the 'Red Pena' clone. Truly spectacular compared to the size of the plant. The 'Red Pena', however, was more fragrant, with a very unusual fragrance. I would like it to peppermint toothpaste -- seriously!

I can't say enough about Blc Prada Green x Erin Kobayshi 'Lakeview'. Really green. Really beautiful. I waited two years for it to bloom, and boy was it worth it.

Here's another attempt to capture its beauty . . ..

north coast nsw, Australia

Love Blc Prada Green x Erin Kobayshi 'Lakeview'

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Like the Blc a lot, Pinetop. The Catasetums are knockouts! Mine are currently in the same state as the Cymbidiums. Run down and neglected this past summer.

Mjs, let me know if you have anything. There are three in the greenhut that will otherwise get sold at this summer's auction. I have hoyas too but only by default. A friend is a rabid collector. She kept laying cuttings on me from all over the world. The cuttings were put in old orchid mix and fertilized on the same schedule as the orchids. They wind around the shelves in the greenhut and bloom like crazy.

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Did you say you are looking for homes for hoyas? I have a couple and would be interested in adding to the family.............

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Even though I must admit green orchids are not my favorite, those two 'Oro Verde' and Prada Green are simply gorgeous, PtP.

Looks like you've been having too much fun with orchids since we heard from you last.

Some real pretties up there from you too, Mj. Love that peachy Rhynchostylis. What a bloomer!

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

Jean, I am not looking for homes for the hoyas at this time unless it's to swap cuttings of hoyas for divisions. I have occasionally swapped hoyas for orchids with two growers. I just don't collect/buy them. They were gifts. Ditto some orchids like Phals. Someone gave me a bunch of Phals that were being thrown out at a Trader Joe's. They are in rehab, but I don't otherwise grow them.

Elaine, I HAVE been having fun with the 'chids! What is the name of that beautiful red Cattleya in your last post?

Thanks, everyone, for the comments.

Maypop, I am really liking the Catasetums. They are a type of orchid where I think, for the most part, the straight species are more interesting in shape than the intergeneric hybrids, which seem to "soften" the outlandish shapes. I am thinking of trying a Mormodes next. Any suggestions?

Here's Dendrobium Love Memory 'Fizz'. Bloomed in October after a cold snap. Now it's gearing up for some heavier bloom. A nice Trader Joe's find from a year ago.

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

That's a pretty Dendrobium, Pinetop, and I love the green Blc and the Catasetums. We've missed you and your lovely pictures.

I got a call yesterday from the Tampa Orchid Club president asking me to loan orchids for the club's display at the upcoming Florida State Fair in Tampa. She came over last night and I gave her 16 nice bloomers which is going to cut down on my posts for a while. She was very impressed with my collection as well as the OC. I hope we win a ribbon or something.

Jim

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

That's the one I got at Fender's closing sale last April, Potinara Fire in your Eyes.

It's a nice small plant about 9in. high, but with good sized flowers.

The other is Bc. Goldbrad, another nice small plant that blooms generously.

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

MJ, your pretty peach orchid may be called Rhynchostylis gigantea var. vivaphandhul or I have also seen it called simply Rhynchostylis gigantea 'Peach'.

Here is a picture of my Lc. Gold Digger plant with its many blooms. It is one of the orchids doing duty at the state fair.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica

Thanks, Jim. Lc. Gold Digger is a knockout! What a contrast between lip and tepals. That hybrid goes way back, does it not? It reminds me of Rosemary Clooney 'Nanae' (which was in abundance in one of the displays at the SEPOS show last year) but seems to have more heightened color. Of course, that could be due to your good growing technique :-)

Elaine, 'Fire in Your Eyes' is a beaut. I love Jewel Box 'Sheherazade', and yours reminds me of that, but with improved form and shapely lip. Very nice!

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Jim your Orchids will now be photographed by thousands!!!! Hope they mention your name somewhere.

Well, what I was hoping was a bloom starting on the Vanda has turned out to just be new leaves. Opened the doors of the greenhouses today since nites will be well in the 50s for the long term. Will probably move most out of the GH and just leave them sitting on the still uncompleted sunporch.

Update there, our lawyer made contact with the Contractor & he yelled at her like he did us. So now 1st hand, she knows our plight. But, work should resume as soon as he "can determine how much work remains to be done".

Good luck, Jean.

Hmm, Mormodes. They are nice too. Can't think of a special one off hand.

Good luck, Jim. Ribbons are always fun.

Elaine, I can't tell you how sad I was to hear Fender's was closing. I've known them (Susan) since I first started growing.

We are having company for dinner so just a few minutes to spare. I wanted to share one of my pride and joys, Aerangis citrata. The flowers are still opening, thus the spaces. It won best in class (Vanda) two years ago with five spikes and seventy something flowers at the Atlanta Orchid Society annual show. It has eight spikes this year.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel

Beautiful, Maypop. I've always found that plant and flowers very attractive when I've seen it at shows. Yours is really spectacular! Eight spikes! Wow.

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

That's really a lovely one, Laurel. I saw Aerangis citrata at the orchid show here in January, now I wish I'd bought it.

Yes, it's always sad when a grower retires, but Fenders have a lot of orchids with their name on them.Nice legacy! Pretty sure I saw Pot. Susan Fender 'Cinnamon Stick' on eBay recently. They were specializing in small catts, and the one I've been showing the last few days is a really nice size, about 10in. including the pot.

Sundance Orchids seems to have purchased many of the plants Fender's had at the end. At least, they have a bunch of the hybrids I saw listed on the Fender's site.

Thank you much.

I noticed dendrobium lichenastrum var. prenticei is blooming today. There are several flowers but they are tucked between those succulent leaves making them camera shy. This one likes lots of light and stays in the corner, away from the overhead watering, 'cause it likes being on the dry side.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel

An orchid society member gifted this Dendrobium Tyabb two years ago because she was not able to bloom it. It had been in a pot and had no roots as well as scale. Since mounting it on crape myrtle, I've been nursing it along. This is the first time it's bloomed.

Edited to add this one gets the cold, dry treatment like Den. kingianum.

This message was edited Feb 6, 2013 5:34 PM

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

I like that Den Tyabb, Laurel. Very nice.

I was wondering whether to pot or mount this unruly Blc cross when it hit me; why not both? So I sliced a pot in half and bolted it to a piece of cypress, stuck some of the roots inside with a little bark, and wired the orchid to the wood. Tell me what you think.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica Thumbnail by hawkarica
Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

LoL, I'm betting that rascal will still pop a leaf out the bottom of the pot within the year.

Those brassies are really determined to grow in every direction!

Brea, CA(Zone 10b)

Been pretty busy at the shop, but have been peeking in. Great photos from everyone. Catasetum pileatum 'Oro Verde' and Lc. El Cerriti x sib. are on the wish list

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

I agree with Ted, great photos everyone! Quite a diversity we have going this month. In my garden, the cattleya I've been waiting for finally opened. This is Blc. Mildred Hollingsworth 'Sun Bulb'.

Melanie

Thumbnail by mellielong

Cleisostoma sagittatum flowers are among some of my smallest. Unfortunately the ones on top start falling before the lower ones open. The plant is a cutey though.

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Very nice Blc., Melanie. Worth waiting for I'd say.

That is a cutey, Laurel. Good Growing.

I'm just back from a MG field trip to a native plant nursery and a botanical garden over in St.Petersburg. Beautiful weather but I'm tired now.

Jim

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Well, we couldn't go sailing today, too much wind. So I am out hunting up flowers.

Bl.Yellow Bird going through its initial color stages, rose/ivory when they first open, gradually shading through cream/peach to yellow, then finishing orange. This one actually has a tag, so it is the real thing. Looks exactly like my NoID one, though.

Lc. Renate fully open. It's a little plant and little flower, much nicer than I thought it would be.

Big NoID catt finishing up with bright sunset colors.

Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy Thumbnail by dyzzypyxxy

Well, saved you from having to provision, Elaine. What's your boat?

This is really a non-spectacular orchid in flower but the braided looking form is interesting.This is Dendrobium keithii, a gift from Charlie Chapman this past November. His was in bloom at the time and it was a cutting so I was pleasantly surprise to see flowers. I gave some to those with us. Jim, I think you have a piece. Anywhoo...it looks just like Den. anceps, which I also have and have bloomed, but is not blooming this year. It is on a palm boot (thank you for naming that palm thingy for me, Elaine).

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel
Townsville, Australia(Zone 11)

This little pass-along Orchid has just started blooming and as I'm no Orchid expert, I thought I would post some photos and see if I'm on the right track with a possible ID.

I think it might be a Brassocattleya (Bc) Maikai hybrid. I've had another suggestion though that it might be a Brassolaelia hybrid.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thumbnail by bernieh Thumbnail by bernieh
Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

bernieh, I vote for Bc. Maikai . My Bc. Maikai Mayumi is just a bit darker, but there are several named hybrids. I'll try for a photo tomorrow. Welcome to the forum!

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Laurel, the little Den. keithii is really sweet. Our boat is a 50 yr.old Flying Scot that we race with a big group of the same boats over at the Sailing Squadron. I did do the "provisioning" before we decided not to race today - loaded a little cooler with water and two sandwiches!

I still have my variegated Phal mounted on a palm boot, but it refuses to attach. I keep tucking hunks of coco fiber around it, and it is doing fine, getting ready to bloom. But the boots don't seem to be quite as hospitable as something with a more rough texture. I'm thinking I might rough it up with the Dremel tool before I try mounting another plant to one.

Welcome again, Bernie (we met over on the Tropicals forum just now). That's a pretty little Brassie cross! They're my favorites because of the graceful flower shape. Is it fragrant?

Townsville, Australia(Zone 11)

Thanks OCCAROL, I thought I might be on the right track with Bc Maikai.

Hi dyzzypyxxy, no there's no fragrance at all.

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

Well I've tried this 3 times this morning and have had connection problems so not retyping the whole post again..
Great blooms from everyone

Dendrobium anceps blooming here...

Thumbnail by mjsponies Thumbnail by mjsponies

What a great specimen!

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Blc. Mildred Hollingsworth 'Sun Bulb' is fully open now. When I bought it, it was a much paler yellow; I wonder if it fades as it ages? Also, my little tolumnia is hanging in there.

I was feeling kind of bummed since nobody in the shade house had any spikes or sheaths forming - until I moved one of my vandas out of the way. I found that two of my other vandas are about to bloom. They were just hiding behind bigger vanda. One got squished against the lattice so it didn't extend all the way like it normally would. The exciting thing is these are ones I just bought last October at the USF Orchid Festival and they're already reblooming!. One is Thai Goodwin Sunset and the other is Kulwadee Fragrance #22. I saw Thai Goodwin Sunset for $250 at the St. Pete Green Thumb Fest last year, but I bought it direct from the Goodwins at USF for $50. The wife said her husband hardly ever lets them go so I guess that's why they're so pricey. They're really nice folks, by the way. I hope they come to more festivals.

Melanie

Thumbnail by mellielong Thumbnail by mellielong Thumbnail by mellielong Thumbnail by mellielong
Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

bernieh, Here is my Bc. Maikai Mayumi today. Jim posted his Jan 16th and his Maikai 'Louise' on Feb. 1st, if you want to compare

Thumbnail by OCCAROL
Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Mj, that Den. anceps is really cool looking.

Melanie, some of my catts have more intense colors when the weather is cool. The flowers last longer, too! Mildred is gorgeous, anyway. Can't wait to see the vandas open!

Love those Maikais, Carol. Sure does look a lot like Bernie's.

I wonder if Jim's still having fun at the Fair - hope he survived all the deep-fried food!

Congrats on the Vandas, Mellie. Always fun to find hidden treasures.

Rhyncolaelea glauca is a small plant with a big flower. Perfect for the greenhut.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.