February's Fabulous Flowers

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I guess Jim thinks he's got the day off or something so I'll get us started. I ran out to the greenhut and took one quick pic. There's lots more but it will have to wait. Meantime people with old and slow 'puters need not be apoplectic. We're coming from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1292454/#new

This is Baptistonia echinata

This message was edited Feb 1, 2013 10:31 AM

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel

Here's the plant.It's a little one. There was a second spike on the other side that some clod broke of (that would be me).

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Nice! Yours is way ahead of mine! :-)

That's unusual, Ursula. Seems mine are generally behind everyone's.

Here's a favorite. Lepanthes yunkeri. Thought I'd kill this one for sure but it's blooming for the second year. Beautiful leaves and those pixie flowers are so sweet.

This one has me baffled. This is the second time in bloom for Vascostylis Viboon Velvet and once again the flowers are non-resupinate. I forgot that the last time it bloomed it did the same thing. I can't recall whether all it was with all the flowers, like now, or just some of them. Need to find out why. I like the plant but this is irritating.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel

Dendrobium rigidum here. I've got two forms of this and the other is about to bloom again (it did last month).

I'm off by sundown so if I don't get back beforehand I'll catch up tomorrow night or Sunday.

This message was edited Feb 1, 2013 2:42 PM

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Sorry I'm late but I went out to check with the local groundhog about the weather forecast and then remembered we have no groundhogs down here. So, I talked with an armadillo who didn't understand a word I was saying. Anyway, I say four more weeks of orchid blooms so Laurel did good in starting this thread and that little Batistonia with its unusual flowers is the right orchid to do it with. Sorry about the lost spike. I'm surprised Steve didn't get credit for that mishap. :>)

The first of three 5 foot spikes has opened on Schomburgkia undulata, now renamed Laelia undulata by some. I think the best description of Schomburgkias I ever heard was Kathy saying they were like Cattleyas on steroids.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica Thumbnail by hawkarica Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Laurel, I just must show you this Cym. Leodogran 'Cradlemont' that you gave me a couple of years ago. It just keeps blooming and blooming. What a great orchid!

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Speaking of gifts, Carol's Gerberara Snow Ballet won't quit blooming either. Another great orchid!

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

I love the gorgeous red color on this Potinara Elaine Taylor 'Krull-Smith' FCC/AOS

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Another orchid that won't quit blooming is Blc. Golden Tang. This is the latest spike:

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

There are seven flowers now open on Slc. Ploonpit Fantasy.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

As long as we are doing red lips on yellow flowers, here is Lc. Gold Digger. It now has four spikes with tons of buds>

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Epc. Rene Marques 'Tyler' now has two spikes open.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Epicattleya (Epc.) Lime Sherbert X Bc. Little Stars has a new spike:

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Potinara Hoku Gem Freckles starts out reddish and turns to bright yellow. Look at this:

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

There are lots of blooms on Bl. Mem. Bernice Foster which I have mounted on a small piece of wood.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

My NOID Catt has filled out nicely:

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

As long as I am in floof land, here is Lc. White Spark 'Panda'.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Bc. Maikai 'Louise' AM/AOS is another one that seems to always be in bloom.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Then there is always Rhynchovola David Sander, now with only a single bloom.

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

A whole row of dancing ladies just came through here.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Two of my Miltassias are still blooming. The first pic is Miltassia Aztec Toni and the second two are Miltassia Luke Skywalker.

Jim

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Here is this precious little NOID Dendrobium that I just love:

Jim

Thumbnail by hawkarica
Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Since I started with a Schomburgkia, it's only right that I end with one. By its new name, this is Myc. Mem. Louise Fuchs AQ/AOS. I hope this makes up for being a bit late this morning.

Jim

All good looking, Jim. The Cym. is really impressive! Mine were super neglected this past summer and are now in the recovery room. I have a youngish Epc. Rene Marquis x Pseudepidendrum. Slightly different coloration than yours. Another baby in a bag from four years ago that bloomed for the first time last year. Don't cut the bloom spikes on this one. They rebloom. This year there is one bloom on the old spike and a couple are coming along on the new one. This is the tallest orchid in the greenhut. A Schom. def won't do but they are worthy of lusting after.

Oh, and about the armadillo, did you try speaking Urdu? I'd loan you a local groundhog but the right of way mowers just finished up this past week. Our groundhogs are only good for Brunswick stew now. Have to wait a few weeks for a new crop.

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

Yum, Brunswick Stew! I wonder if I can substitute armadillo meat in the recipe? They are slow, dimwitted and almost blind. They do have a great sense of smell but can't seem to sniff out an 18-wheeler on the interstate. All that armor doesn't seem to help either. The good news is they dig up insects in the yard and garden. The bad news is they dig up the yard and garden. They also dig foot wide tunnels under the house. I've never heard tell of a gator eating one. The meat must be nasty. I'd better rethink the Brunswick Stew recipe idea.

Jim

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

Laurel, Don't blame neglect for the Cyms....Blame the screwy weather. Mine have thrived on neglect for mannny years, but this year they are pathetic. Our temps are still in the 40s at night, and the 70s during the day, so they still might send out more spikes.

Jim, Sorry about your Armadillos. At least our Oppossums don't burrow. I'm not going to try eating one in any case.....or any other rodent.

Sarasota, FL(Zone 9b)

Armadillos = Texas speed bumps . . . We have 'possums here too, Carol. They're almost as bad as the armadillos at crossing the roads. More meaty, though I understand.

Possum 'n greens is an old southern dish.

We also have wild hogs, a legacy from the Spaniards, I think. Farmers shoot them on sight, and a garden that is invaded by them can look like a war zone in one night. My neighbor tells me they are excellent eating!

Santa Ana, CA(Zone 10b)

We have some wild hogs here too. They live in the riverbeds and wreck the landscape of any businesses along the river, but this is Ca., not Texas, so .... Of course most of our riverbed is concrete. They mark the "wildlife crossings" under the freeways, but haven't figured out how to teach the wildlife to read, but we aren't alowed to kill any "wildlife". We have to TRY to contact animal control to relocate them. Much like calling AT&T...they've run out of numbers to push.

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

I had something bad happen in the shade house. One of my mouse traps caught a Cardinal! They weren't even baited so I'm not even sure why he was in there. My brother took care of it for me because I'm weak-stomached like that. It made me feel really sad all day. I like birdies.

On the upside, my little Onc. Tsiku 'Marguerite' is happy and smells good if you stick your nose right in it. Here's a picture of me holding it.

Melanie

Thumbnail by mellielong

Carol, wish I could blame the weather but in this case it was neglect during the months preceding DD's wedding. The Cyms were put out on the south side deck and as summer temps ramped up I failed to move them. It was all I could do to keep temps down in the greenhut. Not only was that a problem but for the first time in years I had a scale attack that went undetected for too long and mealies to boot. The mealies were a new problem for me.

Pretty Onc., Melanie but you cut yourself out of the photo. lol

Lc. El Cerrito x sib. was a gift this past year. These can get quite a lot of flowers when more mature. It's going in a basket in Spring.

This message was edited Feb 12, 2013 9:33 PM

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel

Vanda Boonchoo x Asc. Kulwadee fragrance. This candycane pink orchid not only has pretty spots but also has a great fragrance. Pretty sure I've got some babies to trade. If anyone is interested please DM and I'll send photos.

Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel Thumbnail by MaypopLaurel

A a back bulb division of Dendrobium aberrans is blooming for me for the first time. This is from Gary and Mark at Marble Branch Farms. Very hard to capture the delicate flowers in a photo.

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Ooh, Laurel I like your vanda. I have Asc. Kulwadee Fragrance #22. I always think it's neat to see the different crosses produced with vandas. When we were in Apopka I was looking through all of them trying to imagine what they would look like. Now that I know more vanda hybrids I'm getting better at recognizing them and predicting what they will look like.

Melanie

Melanie, just when we think we have the hang of orchids we can be surprised. I had not brought any orchids for judging for a number of months but brought two Vanda/Ascocendas in this past month. Look at the awards for Class VIII and the explanation of one I recently posted here. Here is the explanation from Mark Reinke regarding Ascocenda Udomchai Beauty. http://www.atlantaorchidsociety.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/2013-FEB-ATLOS-NEWSLETTER.pdf I also took second for the Vanda denisoniana x Ascocenda Suksamran Spots and learned this orchid has been registered since I got it as Ascda. Spotted Denis.

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

How neat! That must be part of the fun of hybridizing - you never know what you might get!

True. Suksamran Spots is red with spots while V. denisoniana is yellow. The cross is gold with spots.

Odessa, FL(Zone 9b)

That is a nice Vanda cross and a pretty flower on the little Dendrobium. I've got the guacamole made and the beer chillin'. Now if I can just find the remote.

Jim

DeLand/Deleon Spring, FL(Zone 8b)

OK...I am wayyyy over the frost every morning for the last 5 days or so...I'm ready for spring. NOW.....

Laurel, I like the Vascostylis Viboon Velvet, had to go look up "resupinate"....LOL....

Love to have one of the pink vanda babies but doubt I have much in my collection to trade...unless your into something besides orchids...

and Jim that Bc. Maikai 'Louise' get's me everytime I see it.

We have Possums, Armadillo's and Wild Hogs...and a lot more as the farm backs up to 3500 acres of St. John's Wildlife management area.
Possums carry a virus that causes a muscle disease in horses, Darned Armadillo's dig up the garden and the Wild Hog's dig up the pasture...
Wouldn't catch me putting any of them on the menu for dinner either

This message was edited Feb 4, 2013 1:04 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.