New Guinea Impatien Seeds?

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

I did a google, after asking you that (duh on me) and found some. So these Camellia ones handle shade? This front porch gets mostly shade, but hot afternoon sun, just here and there as the sun moves, and sun comes inbetween big shrubs in front of them. Using long, rectangular planters.

Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

Karrie:
I had them in two places. One got sun for 4 hours in the afternoon and they did fine there. The other was shaded from the direct sun all day. The C-F Impatiens still flowered well there, although not quite as well as in the other location, but the flowers lasted a week longer.

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

I use a lot of impatiens but last year the fungus wiped them out. The fungus spreads by spores, on the wind and arrived in the U.S. from Europe. If the N.G.s are immune, that's great, but they are larger than the areas I like to plant impatiens. I don't know about the Camillia-flowered impatiens. Maybe I can find a picture.
All our nurseries here are looking for alternatives. Coleus, torenia, Begonias, lobelia, achimenes (hot water plant) are the ones being talked about the most. Torenia was only blue or puple but now they have many colors.

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Here is a link of alternatives that I found: http://ccesuffolk.org/assets/Floriculture/Impatiens-DM/Alternatives-to-Garden-Impatiens.pdf

Also, I was at Home Depot today (in Spokane, WA) and they were selling the regular kind of impatiens.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/4156/

or Sunpatiens.

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

I purchased some regular impatiens the other day at a local nursery. I asked them about the downy mildew. They said they had heard about it, but that there was no problem with theirs - they seed their own. They believed it was mostly in the eastern part of the United States. The ones I have are in great condition - no sign of any trouble.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Heh heh don't say we didn't warn you! You may be right, and theirs are probably fine now. But OTOH, someone may fly from FL affected nursery to visit their friend in Spokane who has impatiens outside, and infect them. It is VERY contagious. And remember, once you have it, you have to dispose of infected plants responsibly (sealed plastic garbage bag) and wait many years before replanting with impatiens.

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

This nursery is very good and I am going to have to trust them. So far the plants look great and love their new homes in their porch containers. If anything DOES happen to them, I will let that nursery know, as well as the WSU ag extension here.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Good plan, Karrie. (From Carrie)

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Here's another resource, with some big names.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/18/garden/a-mold-devastates-impatiens.html?pagewanted=all

It says "But other parts of the country, especially dry or mountainous regions, haven’t seen any evidence of the disease, she added. And “most people get a full season of color out of their impatiens, even if it gets infected by late in the season.” "

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

it's both dry and mountainous where I live. (The other side of the state, like Seattle is a whole different story - mountainous but wet.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Well, of course, it's up to you. Sounds like you might be ok this year.

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

Mountainous but wet here too. I am going to try torenia, now that it comes in more colors than purple and white.
I haven't found acimenes yet.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.