insects ID

Bradenton, FL(Zone 9a)

Can anyone ID this bug?

Thumbnail by turtlewalker342
Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

It looks like a stink bug to me.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

I have tons of these this time of year. They are crawling up my husb. workshop out back also. If this is a stink bug is this the harmless kind . Haven't noticed them destroying any wood on bldgs. They do like logs etc. that are stacked. I just smash them with my foot usually. Hope this isn't the kind that eat plants as I know some do.
Bonnie

High Springs, FL(Zone 8b)

Commonly known as box elder bugs. They come in slight variations of the red/black color scheme. We had them in the yard and on the outside walls of one of our rental houses. There was a huge box elder tree in the front yard, which apparently attracts them. The tree was rotting from the inside, so we had to remove it (I hated to see it go!) but the bugs have not appeared since the tree has gone.

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9a)

This is a golden rain tree bug. It feeds on seeds from the golden rain tree. They are related to box elder bugs. Google for more info.

Bradenton, FL(Zone 9a)

Thank you Jayce49. I didn't think they were elder bugs. I do have a golden rain tree not that far away with lots of seeds coming down where they are.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.