Amazing Amaranthus, They take the heat and are tasty too...

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Amaranthus are one of the most incredible plants we Florida (And not only Florida) gardeners can grow.

They are special in the gardens.

Wow!... is the response they always get in a garden. They can be cooked as any other usual greens, and used in salads and taste very much like fresh Spinach and never bitter or harsh. These survive in our hot, humid climate through the Summer months... They are worth researching and well worth growing... Summer Poinsettias they are!

This message was edited Feb 26, 2013 4:15 PM

This message was edited Feb 28, 2013 6:08 PM

Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand
Ft Myers, FL(Zone 10a)

No, I don't grow it, but you now have me wanting to. Those are lovely. What is the first (left) posted
cultivar? How do you cook it, you said similar, are there any changes? Does it have a spinach flavor?
Thanks for this post too, learn something new every day :)

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

This message was edited Feb 10, 2013 8:32 AM

This message was edited Feb 26, 2013 4:16 PM

Ft Myers, FL(Zone 10a)

TY David. I have another question. Do they attract bees and/or butterflies? I butterfly garden, and they would add a nice addition to that
area of my property.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

David, do you ever harvest the amaranth seeds?

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

This message was edited Feb 26, 2013 4:17 PM

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

This message was edited Feb 26, 2013 4:18 PM

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

No, I mean to EAT! It's sold in health food stores as a gluten-free substitute for wheat, but I've never tasted it.

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

This message was edited Feb 26, 2013 4:18 PM

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

You know, they're people-edible too. I'm trying to find someone who has eaten the grain/seeds. Interesting....your chickens are smart.

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

I've got to have this plant....and David your garden is beautiful...if it does well for you, it should be fine here, I'm not too far.
Thanks for posting.

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

This message was edited Feb 26, 2013 4:19 PM

I already ordered some seeds...thanks. Any tips on growing them from seeds?

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

This message was edited Feb 26, 2013 4:20 PM

Orlando, FL(Zone 9b)

those are prettier than a lot of flowers! very nice

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Beautiful addition to any garden. Will have to order some seed. Just got 5 seed catalogues so I'm sure some will have them.
Thanks for the pics David. Very encouraging.

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

This message was edited Feb 26, 2013 4:21 PM

Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand
Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

I have heard of people popping the seeds like you would popcorn. Apparently the resulting pieces are very, very tiny though.

You have some beautiful plants there. I may have to sprinkle a few seeds around my garden also.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Im gunna get me some of those this year....and you can take that to the bank!!!

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

This message was edited Feb 26, 2013 4:21 PM

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Well, they come from an area that has regular frost; the Andes, right?

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Do they sell these at a home depot or lowes, or do you have to order them.

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

This message was edited Feb 26, 2013 4:22 PM

Chickenville, FL(Zone 9a)

Wow those are really pretty! I bought some seeds for the summer poinsettia one last year but never planted them. I am going to do it for sure this year. I got some amaranthus seeds called 'Tigerleaf' amaranthus and another one named, 'Manna' from Echo. Has anyone tried either one of those? They are supposed to be edible too.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

One year I bought plants at either HD or Lowe's of amaranthus. I remember they were beautiful all summer. Will have to order some seeds so I can have more than just a couple.

David,
Deland is not far from me and hopefully I will be hosting another RU in March or April. Hope you can come and bring some seeds or plants. We have such a good time and exchange many plants. Food is always great too.
When I can pin down more folks for a date it will be in plant RU forum and of course in this forum.

Bonnie

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

David,

I come across Amaranth when researching Quinoa. I think they are among the ancient crops of the Andes. Never even seen one in person!

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/3860/

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

This message was edited Feb 26, 2013 4:23 PM

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

But you're not eating yours except as a leaf vegetable; not as a grain, I mean.

My REAL name is Carolyn. I'm named after my grandmother Carolyn, but she was born a Caroline and changed her name in the 1920s to be trendy. I think other women's names like Madeline/Madelyn, Katharine/Kathryn, Gwendoline/Gwendolyn (but I'm making this all up); still, I know there are other names that switched from E to Y to be "trendy" I just don't know which they were.

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

This message was edited Feb 26, 2013 4:24 PM

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Only credit card companies call me Carolyn, David!

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

This message was edited Feb 26, 2013 4:25 PM

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

These are BEAUTIFUL and I think I need to start growing some, esp if I can eat them.

Chickenville, FL(Zone 9a)

I planted my seeds and have tons of little seedlings coming up. The seeds are soo tiny! I am going to have to try and separate all the babies.

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

This message was edited Feb 26, 2013 4:26 PM

I just received my seeds yesterday, I'm excited to get these going.

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

This message was edited Feb 26, 2013 4:34 PM

South Florida, FL(Zone 10b)

David, are you eating the Amaranth raw or just cooking it?

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

This message was edited Feb 26, 2013 4:27 PM

Thanks! I think I''ll order some seeds.

Definitely ordering seeds after reading this.
http://www.tropicalpermaculture.com/amaranth-plant.html

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.