My miniature Florida Gardens. Paleontology Park

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

This message was edited Feb 27, 2013 8:26 AM

Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand
Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

David,
Great little creation. Love your front yard, its beautiful.
Bonnie

Chickenville, FL(Zone 9a)

How unique and creative!! I love it.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Well how great is that. What a great idea, and a peaceful looking place to hang out. Great looking front yard as well. We cant grow oleander this far north, but love the bloom.

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Oleander grows in Wilmington, NC. I think you can grow it, but it is very poison. My neighbor in Jacksonville that the Zebra Longwing cats were eating. The idiot killed the caterpillars. All of my plants reboot after the cats eat them back to the bare stems.

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

This message was edited Feb 27, 2013 8:27 AM

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

This message was edited Feb 27, 2013 8:28 AM

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

David - you are an artist!!!! Love that unique mini garden.
I hope eventually my back yard will look like your front. It is almost a blank canvas but I want gardens - both flowers & veg growing in harmony.
What type of grass to you have there?

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

This message was edited Feb 27, 2013 8:28 AM

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

David that is just too cool. I got a bit interested last year in miniature gardens, but none of the photos I saw had dinosaurs in them...very creative, got a grandson that would like that. Heck my sons would like that.

I also have bahia and right now it does look pathetic. Nice to know it should come back in Spring.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

I planted my front yard with argentine bahia because it repels bug infestation well in Fl. Yes, it looks awful now but some folks overplant it during the winter with winter rye grass seed just for a cover crop until bahia turns green again in spring. The rye is also good green fertilizer.

Bonnie

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

Hey David,

I'm in DeLand too. That's a neat little garden. I've got twin boys who would be enamored with it. I've thought about doing a fairy garden for my daughter like that.

Erin

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

This message was edited Feb 27, 2013 8:29 AM

This is my 1st winter in FL & I have to admit, it is much better than the teens & 20s back up north. So far I've only had to cover the plants 2 nites. I can get used to this.

Just wish the weeds would die!!!!

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

This message was edited Feb 27, 2013 8:30 AM

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Naturally I have weeds cause I fertilize with cow manure. My most hated weed is stinging nettle. That I really watch for and pull with heavy gloves. Once they get a foothold they really multiply inside pots or anywhere their seed lands.

I'm told pulling weeds is good exercise so if bending pulling weeds is good exercise then I don't need a gym.

Bonnie

PS David if you have only been there 4 years you have done an awful lot with that piece of land in a short time. Good for you.

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

This message was edited Feb 27, 2013 8:31 AM

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Well darn it, your not in the address exchange LOLOLOL . I was going to take a look. If someone sees the google map now, they will just know what a great gardener you are :-)

I had the opposite luck with google. Thank goodness they came around from the side of the house that didnt show my pot graveyard.

On GM you can't see my house for all the trees. The property was covered with old, diseased oaks. We took out 11 and now sun actually gets to the ground and we don't have to worry about the huge branches falling on the house during a storm.

I have great plans for the back yard as soon as I can get someone with a tiller in here.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

I was out in the yard yesterday, probably will spend most of today out. If it would only rain, there are so many things I want to move around and new things to plant. The bak yard is just lit up with azealas blooming , and that really makes me want to be out there. Altho I have a sprinkler system close tho the house, there is no way I could afford the extra cash it would take to water close to an acre. Just running the sprinkler system is an extra 2-3 hundred a month in the summer. Thats why I just hose water most of the time, and I dont have grass in the back. One thing is for sure, grass is the most expensive plant in the yard. I hope heaven has a nice acre or two of freshly mowed
st. augistine for me to frolic on, cuz it aint gunna happen here ;-)

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Holy cow if I had to pay for water I certainly wouldn't have as much as I have planted plus 2 ponds that need toping off from evaporation. I'm hoping we get some rain come spring. Fromt yard is 350 feet wide and all needs water as it has shrubs and flower plants. Of course we always pray for rain for our pasture as its more important the cows have grass to eat. Cow pellets and hay isn't cheap. When grass is thick and green is only time we can stop feeding. We usually only keep about 8 cows at any given time but its still around $4,000. a year to feed them. They do keep our taxes down, feed us and we sell a couple so that $ is saved for hay. They are my husbs. babies and he would never part with them. Plus they keep pasture well mowed. Been here 43 years and couldn't picture this place without them.

Watch the round up forum for more info. on upcoming RU April 13, 2013.
Bonnie

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

This message was edited Feb 27, 2013 8:32 AM

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

David sounds like a good idea to me. Guess I missed past threads about Urban Spring to Summer plant sales.
I have a good sized pile of cow manure which everyone was happy to take some home. I save feed bags just for the purpose as it keeps it contained and keeps folks cars clean. Heck I have total strangers stop by and ask for some for their gardens. If you can also use some you are welcomed to it. Nothing like sharing your bull poop. LOL

Hope you can make it and also bring anyone you wish along. We had many that wern't DG members. The more the merryer. We had 2 vendors that work at our local Sun. downtown flea market that I had the pleasure of meeting. They raise plants and sell them there. Doesn't matter we are all gardners sharing esperiences and ideas and always learn something new. I keep my mind like a parachute. (Thats and old one I'm sure your've heard)
Do advertise it around in your area. Others spread the word in their areas and its great.

Later I will post a thread for listing food people want to bring and plants they are looking for and those they have to swap or give away. Check out 2011 RU on RU forum and you will get the idea. We are just plant nuts enjoying each others company. As I said before this is done all over US so others must enjoy it too.

Bonnie

Guess I better go find the round up thread.
And the info David posted on Urban Spring to Summer Plant sale..........................is where?????

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

This message was edited Feb 27, 2013 8:34 AM

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

GREAT David, hope you all can make it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.