Catalogues

This morning I received my second favourite seed catalogue from Plants of Distinction, I've always had good germination results from their seeds and to me they are second only to Chilterns. The other seed catalogue I look forward to is Ray Browns Plantworld.

Whats your favourite?

I'm off to have a big cup of tea and a good long read now :)

Weymouth, Dorset, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

I,m with you there baa,I love browsing through seed catalogues, my favourite is Plantworld seeds from Devon.Chilterns are good too, I often lie in the bath reading these LOL I,ve spent a fortune on Plantworld seeds over the past couple of years, their seeds seem to come up like cress, especially their 'bargain bags ' of mixed seeds such as companulas and polemoniums, I,ve just been priking out 2x30 trays of those into individual pots,and I only sowed less than half the pack in August !It,s knowinh where to put the resulting plants that I have trouble with ! I must try plants of distinction ,are they good ? I often check out T & M,s web site too for pics and info.

Sueone

Here is P o D's site http://www.podseeds.co.uk/frame.htm
They stock some great stuff and the germination rate is good too.

I do get Thompson and Mogarn's catalogue but have had very little success from their seeds and having complained that the seeds of Digitalis obscura were not D. obscura they sent me a bonus packet of Dianthus deltoides which after 3 years of leaf growth flowered this year to be Sweet William Sooty which they didn't even list as on offer LOL. Oh well at least they grew which is a new one on me from T&M!

All I need now is the money to have a huge garden to grow all the tempting seeds LOL. Ahhh one day!

Wigan, Landcashire, United Kingdom

Well Baa just spent a happy half an hour on the site, have ordered the catalogue, hope the germination rate is better than some companies i could name. Sheila

Sheila

Which site is that? PoD, if so I can honestly say I've not had a bad packet yet.

Another company which is great for veg is DT Browns, they have some really good germination rates, have you found the same?

Weymouth, Dorset, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

thanks Baa, I,ve just ordered a catalogue,as if I really need any more seeds LOL ,still you nrever know!!!!!!!I,ve already filled up my cold frame with seed trays full of seeds from exchanges I,ve done,where oh where will I put the next lot ?

My catalogue came from Plants of Distinction today, had a good look in it, and a few things have caught my eye, one being a fluffy purple coneflower it just looks lovely, a blue annual lupin, also i know Calendulas are common but i love them and i have seen the coffe coloured one which i will order. There are so many lovely plants to grow, so hope i am not disappointed with germination. Also going to grow the perennial sunflower just love it, will grow the ordinary sunflowers for the birds.

Wow Sheila

That was quick! I like to try out different Calendulas too but I've never had the Coffee one, please let us know how you get on. Greenheart orange has done very well this year and is still flowering today!

The squirrels eat our annual sunflowers, they take huge bites out of the head even when they still have petals. Makes them look a bit of a sight LOL

Antrim, Northern Ire, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

hi all

I have already got POD's catalogue, placed an order and had them delivered.no guesses what I ordered!!

Fothergills young plant catalogue is here and I'll be ordering from it before Christmas.

cant wait for every other one to drop onto the mat.

Mark

It would not be some more geraniums would it???????????????
Did you ever order those geranium plants from T @ M?

Antrim, Northern Ire, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

sheila

I did order from T&M and what a disaster with their plants. I have taken some photographs which I will be sending to them and asking for my money back. the plants must have been sitting in their boxes for week as new shoots were up to 6 inches long and yellow. old leaves were rotten and mouldy.

yes I ordered geranium seeds from PW. roll on spring

Mark

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

All behind like the cows tail as usual. Haven't ever tried PoD catalogue so have sent for it now. Hope they haven't sold out to the rest of you. Have tried most of the others you mention, agree about T&M - and the prices they charge!! The Organic Garden catalogue is worth a try for some things, particularly herbs and vegs.

http://www.organiccatalog.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi

My PoD catalogue arrived today. Looks really good. Lots of things i can't resist!! Thanks for the tip!
I read it and picked out some possibilities before coming back to this site and find that the three things you mention Sheila are on my list also LOL
Baa have you got contact details for Ray Browns Plantworld please?
Can't wait for all these goodies. :~)

Ooh, just remembered, one entry in PoD had me ROTFL. They describe Malva moschata alba as "seed scarce". It may be with them, but it seeds round my garden like a weed. I had it originally as a plant from Sissinghurst. How about all of you - weed or want? Haven't any seed saved at the moment, but potentially loads later. i've got a photo somewhere, i'll look it out and post it.

Here's the link to the entry in the GWD.

http://gardenwatchdog.com/c/1220/

Sadly they aren't on the web anymore, the website that used to have their catalogue online has gone. As Sueone said their mixtures come up like cress.

Malva moschata won't grow in our garden, it appeared once from out of the blue, flowered bravely and then pegged out never to be seen again, I think it moved 3 doors down.

Thanks very much for that Baa. i wasn't sure it was the same company. i'll give them a ring tomorrow {:~)

Baa will let you know shortly which plants i want, not had much time, you will always find i only come on the www late at night, as sometimes i am late getting in such as tonight it was 7.30, i get my daily visiting list and depending on weather/traffic jams i sometimes finish early but mostly later.Also takes me longer as the dog comes with me so i have to take him for walks in my breaktimes no matter what the weather is like, oh he is such a good dog and he sits on his cushion in the back seat, i asked the vet once if it was cruel and he said you what hes got a great interesting life, and he has now easily done over about 6o/70 thousand miles has my mutt. miles

No problem Sheila, I know you're really busy working long hours, and the traffic never seems to get any better does it. Your dog must have a great life! He gets to spend all day with his favourite person and its much better than being stuck at home. Let me know whenever you're ready, the ground's a bit to wet to dig at the moment anyway :)

I was going to order some seeds but I got my share from the Seed Guild (last year its running :( ) and that was 51 packets! I have nowhere left to grow them so I had to buy one of those 4 tier mini greenhouses from Asda out of my Christmas money, 20 quid. Mom's had one for years and its really good (but stuffed to the brim).

Yes i have also got one of those plastic 4 tier plastic greenhouse that you zip up, besides my glass greenhouse, plus having a conservatory, since i have had this conservatory we have not sat in it once you cant move in it for plants, like overwintering all the geraniums and fuschia, i thought after getting my greenhouse it would leave the conservatory free but no the greenhouse is also chocker and in my bedroom have a cane 3 piece suite awaiting removal and i forget where the carpet tiles are too. Yes i am hectic,working loads of hours and just to think 2 years ago i thought i was being made redundant when the new deal lot where trained,no chance i could eat them all for breakfast.Yes my dog is spoilt, you would have had a good laugh but i was in Preston and i started taking him for a walk and the hail started and he flew back to the car he did not like it at all.Oh yes i am the only one in our cul-de-sac who has a mongrel and one neighbour goes mad it my dog goes anywhere near hers,stupid woman my dog has a lot better life than any of this pampered pedigrees.

Middlesbrough, United Kingdom

I was born in preston Sheila, haven't been there for yrs. Your dog is very lucky. I luv dogs but I'm out all day and I doubt if they'd be allowed into computer labs. I wouldn't leave a dog shut up all day, they need company.

I do not like Preston at all, and sorry i find the people cold.I had a drink of tea in a car area which once housed the docks but now has a beautiful promenade and upmarket flats or to the posh apartments. Years ago to get to Blackpool there was no M6 or M55 motorways we had to go through Preston and by the side of the docks/River Ribble cos Grandad had a car and then when i was 17 got a car and i took people who were going for the week so i saw a lot of the old Preston. I now hate town centres and out of town shopping areas to me they are soul less, they all look the same. I used to love going to Wigan Market but about 15 years ago completely redid it and when i went i was disgusted also all the old traders could not afford to stand in their posh stands so have never been for about 14 years, remember Wigan had the freshest fish straight from Fleetwood and as a kid i used to be sent for the fresh fish especially Friday for all our family.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.