Seed starting spring 2013

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Has anyone else started any seeds ? After all it's been 2013 for over 12 hours already!

Yesterday I planted yellow datura (they are so slow for me) and four pack of pansies They'll go outside early if they grow), and four seeds of a Calycanthus bush into a pot outside to stratify. I found a couple odds and ends I should just plant and be done with.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Sally, this will be my first year starting seeds indoors. I really enjoyed wintersowing last year but I'll be scaling it down quite bit this year.

I'll be starting a couple different kinds of begonias.

I don't even have any lights, heat mats, or seed starting trays! I've been on line looking at various products. Do you have any vendors or brands that you'd recommend?

My light setup is home made. Paul has something new, maybe he can suggest.

I've never used a heat mat; I use top of fridge, or the upper shelf of my set up which is warm from the lights under it, even though they are fluorescent.
I recycle four packs, six packs, small nursery pots, and use large foil baking pans. The southern states sells all the real stuff pretty cheap.

Wonder how long it would take me to use 1,200 spinach seeds. 3.95 for that pack vs a dollar or so for a pack of 75. EH, I think I'll go big...last year spinach did great!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

No seed starting yet but I was thinking just this morning that I should get out my OSP and start them. We have some cuttings that Ric rooted that should be up potted and might be ready to have some cuttings taken from them and started. I tried growing pansies from seed a few years ago and had pretty good success with them. They like a cool dark spot to germinate. We put them under the bed in a back bedroom where it was cool and dark.

Mount Bethel, PA(Zone 6a)

Cleaning up the basement area where the lights and shelves are. Rummaging around for containers to winter sow in. One of my neighbors has been down in the dumps for the last few years. I think that getting her involved in the cookie baking and seed starting will continue to be great for both of us. Saturday we start sowing and planning what will go under lights or outdoors. This is a GREAT way to get rid of winter doldrums.

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

I'm still getting seeds from various sources & they are in the refrig. I am trying to germinate some rare Dorstenia seeds I got on Fleabay and I am moving them from room to room where it is warmest & they get light. Think I will wait til Feb or March to try some of the MG's and definitely start trombone squash in March, giving they an extra 2 months before I plant them out.

Yesterday I put up 4 jugs for wintersow. All Delphinium Magic Fountain. Some of these seeds went under lights also. I seeded a tray of pink, blue, yellow and lime lisianthus also. Saved some of the seed to winter sow later.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Putting together my HGHA plug order and also wanted to remind everyone that Bill(Caladiuims4Less) is running his Classified Add, 15% off for DG Members have to order before the end of the month so check it out soon. Boy he has this really beautiful new white one, think it was called Moonlight.
I saved seeds from the Bonfire Begonias we grew last year. The seeds are just like dust. It will be fun to see if we can get them to germinate.

I love the cream colored marigolds that i get from you each year at the swap Holly. I think that these come from your HGHA order. Today I put out 2 milk containers of Johnny Jump Ups. Indoors I made trays of Salvia Patens Blue Angel, Sweet Pea Pearl Red and Agastache Apache Sunset. I will be gone for at least a week in February and I'm not sure if I can get someone to water them!!!!!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Yes Roses, I will be getting them again this year. One of my Fav annuals.

Those marigolds were very nice.

Here's a seed sowing method site that many dgers mention
http://theseedsite.co.uk/seedsowing.html

Lots of good info there, Sally. Just filled a tray of Storm Red Petunias. The pots seem to need lots of petunias to look good.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Teri, The cream marigold is one of my favs too. I scatter whatever is left throughout the garden. Sometimes they're the scrawniest we have left, but develop quite well in the garden loam. I really like flowers in the veggie garden, sometimes as a companion planting, some times on a whim. I usually line the brick walkway with Glads, have perm. planting of Juan tulips, boxwoods, and blanket flower by the doors. I want to add dwarf alliums next to the foundation in front. Ric

Sounds like a well laid out plan. Everything always looks so exceptionally delightful at your place.

Too nice out today. I found some old seeds and set up some wintersowed or frost germinated or cold stratified chard , brussels sprouot, s cabbage. Just playing with it nothing to lose.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Geez! I have not even seen this Thread....as always--just looking at the ones I a "watching"...

Sally--You already sowed Daturas????
I know they are slow--but also unpredictable. Sometimes fast--sometimes slow.
Last year I just wanted one of each color. Then when they grew out--they were both purple.
They take up so much room! I really do not like that.

Right now--my light set-up is full of all the Coleus cuttings and AV's. Also 2 trays of Persian Shield
--they rooted very easily--and I was experimenting rooting some Blushing Suzy vine.
Started with 2 6-packs--but so many of them gave up the ghost. Looks like a couple of them made it...
The top shelf had 6 brugs and a couple of CC's on there. Had 2 Fig cuttings that were rooted--but they died.

Anyway--this is about seeds---I have all my seeds and boxes and everything on my DR table.
Need to refresh all my packets and add new seeds I have gathered. Next BIG chore...

I may have to bite the bullet and buy another 3' shop-light set ($40) for the very lowest shelf of my seed set-up.
It will REALLY be warm down there! There is a forced air vent right below it.

I really should try to grow some veggies. Just it never seems worth while. I just run to Richardson Farms and buy what I need.
I will, definitely grow Pickling Cukes again. They did well. Will give Tomatoes one more go--and if I still get that
early blight--that will be it! I will be more smart about my watering, though and will spray with Daconil often.

Will keep looking here--maybe i will get inspired to start some seeds earlier than usual.

Gita

Datura has been so s l o w for me I decided to start a week earlier than last year. Yeah big brutes but oh the scent of the yellow ones....... I might put two flanking my front door, and use the Brugs next to my bedroom. THe Datura scent wafting into the house, warm late summer evening...ahhhhhh

Better luck if you go with a resistant tomato variety.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

OOOh, Holly, is there any way you could order an extra pack or two of those vanilla/cream marigolds on our behalf? Joyanna found them (!) in the HPS catalog, but it was way more seeds than we needed of course. I didn't find enough things in the HPS catalog to justify the shipping cost this year, maybe next year.

I did take advantage of a free shipping offer from Hazzard's recently... no problem making that minimum (I think it was $40) LOL. So I'll have some extra 'Christmas' basil seed to share at the swap, and Joyanna will have some extras also of a couple that she wanted to grow & share.

And I just ordered strawberry seeds (6 kinds! mostly alpines) from The Strawberry Seed Store. I haven't ordered from him before, but I did hear from him when I had a DG article on alpine strawberries, and I was really impressed by his knowledge and his helpfulness, so I'm looking forward to the seeds! Here's Mike's "definitive site on alpine strawberries" -- http://fraisesdesbois.com/

Caladiums from Bill, oh yes, thanks for the reminder!

Just got an email from Santa Rosa. They have extended their 35% off special through Jan. 20. I submitted an order on the 31st and then added 3 more items to it just before midnight. Extending it is dangerous to my wallet... except that these are very nice prices, of course. I ordered from SR for the first time last year, and after the first box they sent I was hooked. Reminds me of the way Bluestone Perennials used to be -- smaller plants at smaller prices, although many of the plants they shipped me last year were big enough to divide when they arrived, making for a nice bonus! Oh, and once you place an order for spring shipping, you can keep adding to that order and only pay one flat rate shipping charge. Dangerous. LOL

http://www.santarosagardens.com/

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Who is ordering the Caladiums?
If it is not too late--i may want to have some. Please let me know.

Thanks, Gita

Caladiums4less.com is the website for Bill who usually sells them to us. He gives Daves Gardeners a discount.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

So--are we each ordering separately--or is there someone doing a group order?

G.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

No group order (yet) that I know of. You're welcome to "piggyback" onto my order if you just want a few... I can pot them up with mine when Bill sends them out and bring them to the spring swap (I figure we'll get the "southern" MAG swap figured out at the seed swap next month). We could just do a group order and split them up at the swap, but they'll give more of a show if started sooner.

I'll pot up a few extras for anyone who asks, but I don't want to get into potting up dozens of them for an "official" group order, as we're hoping to have lots of extra seedlings to bring then also.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Jill--Thank you.
I have not decided what colors i would like. I would not need more that maybe 6.

Can I let you know? Do you have a deadline?
Are you ordering a mix or specific colors?
I am not too keen on the spotted of flecked colors. I like the red/green and the white with the green veins.
Have to look at the site again and see what else catches my eye.

I have never grown them in containers--but i DO like the look...

Bed time....Gita

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Yes, you can let me know. Deadline is the sale deadline, by the end of the month, as Bill is usually understanding about additions. I haven't ordered yet, still contemplating. I do like some of the mixes this year... and I think we have nearly opposing preferences, as I like the freckled ones best! Some, like 'Gingerland', really have to be seen in person to be appreciated.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I am mostly familiar to the Caladiums we get in at HD.

I know one I do not care for--the pink one. Again--probably an opposite to your likes--
as i am sure Joyanna will love anything pink.

Some questions:

--Beings Bill advertises his bulbs as "colossal"--have you had experience with these growing even bigger
after the first year? Usually, Caladium bulbs increase in size each year. Right?

--Do you plant them way ahead if time--as I know they take a long time to surface once planted?
They also need a very warm spot.

I can imagine I would plant some of these beauties here and there in my beds.
I DO love them! Morning sun should be OK. In y front bed, which faces N., it is quite cool and wet.
(leaking gutters)---That is where i have planted them before....

Again--I will let you know......Thanks, Gita

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

I overwintered some caladiums this year, I did not tag them or organize them by color though. I threw them in a burlap bag with some pete moss in the garage. I hope they will make it through, the garage is usually closed and never freezes. The only other concern I should have I suppose is them drying out, which I will check on shortly. I'm sure I could do a quick google on when to start them but it helps to hear it from real people.

Also, I tried to overwinter geraniums this year. After some research i went with the bare root method in paper grocery bags. Apparently I need to soak them in water at some point mid winter so they don't dry out either. It is always an experiment.

I finally found a way to overwinter my bulbs without them drying out. One of the DG members recommended that you tie them in plastic bags so that they can't dry out. This is the first year that they didn't. I was worried that they might somehow rot from too much moisture. That didn't happen either. Sometimes I think that luck is involved also.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Paul--
Here is what I know about Caladiums. Does not mean it is carved in stone.

--Caladium corms take a long time to germinate/grow.

--Corms need to be planted all the way to the bottom of the pot you use--bumpy, concave, side up.

--There may be many 'eyes" on the concave side. Each will grow out one stem.
You have the option of having MANY stems (smaller/shorter) or fewer stems (taller and more robust).
Many shorter stems=> allow all the 'eyes" to grow out. Fewer, bigger stems=> selectively remove some of the "eyes".

--They need bottom heat if started indoors. Light is not necessary in this germination stage.
Once the leaves appear--put in some indirect light and keep damp until planting outside.

--If planted outdoors--they will not germinate/start growing until the temps are about 80-85 degrees,
so starting them indoors will greatly extend the season for them.

--The "blooms"/spathes Caladiums produce are of NO consequence. If you like them--keep them a while,
but they will darken and look yukky after a week or so. Then you will want to remove them anyway.

--Remove spent leaves as they will be limp and rotten looking....just for a cleaner look.

--Dig up corms after flowering is done. Leave some soil attached to keep them a bit protected.
Store i n a cool, dry place--like any other dormant bulbs. Here's what I do with all my dormant bulbs
(Cannas, Dahlias, etc.). As spring approaches--I soray the masses of saved bulbs with a little bit of water
to, kind of,start "waking them up".

One grower I worked for had long tables in the GH covered with a very thick felt which hung all the way down to the floor.
Ontop of the heated tables he grew African Violets. The felt was flooded by water and the AV's absorbed it.
Underneath the table--in the same heat and humidity--but in the dark--he had all the planted pots of Cadiums
germinating.

That's all. Hope this helps someone. Gita

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Roses---we cross-posted.

It is not recommended that one stores bulbs in plastic--for the very reason you were concerned.

G.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

My experience with overwintering caladium is that the plants were not as large in year 2. I finally decided it wasn't worth the bother, since the new corms were not too pricey and the overwintered ones none too spectacular.

Also, if I recall right, the caladium tubers should not be allowed to get terribly cold during the winter -- ideally, store them where the temperature will not drop below 50 ° F.

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

Hahaha. Happy if that is the case they are donezo!! I'll let you know.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

UMD, I take all these rules with a big grain of salt....

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

I have my caladiums in paper bags, filled with peat moss. They're in the half-basement, which is unheated and stays around 55-60F*. It didn't even occur to me to separate them by color before putting them in the bags. :-/

I started them indoors last year around April-ish? I didn't provide any bottom heat, because I didn't have a heat mat (and still don't!). They eventually grew well, although it took a good 3-4 weeks for them to poke through. I think using Al's (tapla) 5:1:1 mix helped prevent them from rotting in the pots.

I got the caladiums from Bill last year and was really impressed with their quality. They grew very full and lush.

But I don't think I dried them out enough before putting them in storage. I read that you were actually supposed to dry the bulbs in the sun. I think I also waited too long to pull them out of the pots; the bulbs were kinda mushy by the time I got to them in November.

I don't think I'll be ordering any more this year, though. I really love caladiums - maybe even more than coleus - but it was just too much to have to get 10-12 of each kind, when what I really wanted was a variety.

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

I did check on them and they seem to be fine in the garage for now. I might move them considering the winter isn't over yet.

Thanks for the advice on starting them ssg. It will be interesting. Last year I planted a Costcobag of caladiums they didn't come up until lateeee summer. I admit I was a little late getting the bulbs in the ground. It was fun though since I forgot where I put them.

I bought a dozen or so at the end of summer last year when they were on sale for $1 each. Figured I had nothing to lose, love those sales.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

SSG, check out his collections this year... I don't remember his doing this many collections in the past. I just remember the "assortments" mostly. (Maybe I didn't look in the right place.) The pink collection for example has 4 bulbs each of 4 varieties for $18.95 (minus discount & plus shipping). 4 bulbs makes a nice clump or pot.

Given Bill's care in choosing shipping times, I do think they're sensitive to cold, maybe even to temps that aren't quite down to freezing. Cool basement is probably best.

Nice crop of mold on my pansies seeds...

I once heard that mold doesn't affect the plant growth. Is this true?

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

UMD -- that's what I don't like about caladiums -- you have to get them started early -- or else wait a LONG time for them to grow in the yard because they won't grow until it is quite warm. So that leave an empty space in the yard. And I had a hard time spading them up to overwinter -- I skewered more than I salvaged.

I put Caladiums where the early bloomers will leave the area colorless when they're done.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.