How is Your Weather Where You Are for the New Year

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

The other thread was getting too long so we'll start a new one.

24 degrees here today with gray skies. 30% chance of more snow this afternoon.

(Michele) Cantonment, FL(Zone 8b)

Well we are having one of those winters AGAIN; High 70s one day and then high of 45 the next. Low of 60 one night and then 28 the next. The plants have no idea what to do, we have paper whites blooming, daffodils emerging, Japanese Maple budding as well as some other trees budding, dormant daylilies growing.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

A fine snow coming down here again today. Not sure if we will get much accumulation. Maybe only an inch.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

It snowed all night here another 9 inches yesterday #1 today same angle same evergreen#2 31 degrees and calm now Had the car in the garage but still have to shovel the driveway..

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Better example? These were cleaned off yesterday.. it is still snowing.. lightly 29 DEGREES 16 tonight , currently 15 MPH wind

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7
Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Blomma, WY is too cold!

We got rain here from about 3 on. Started snowing around 9 tonight, and accumulating fast. Looks like I'll be shoveling tomorrow.

Juhur7, looks like you got a good amount of snow.

Karen

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Woke up to 13°f this morning. Going up to only 22°. Nice and sunny.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Oooh, that's cold Mike. I imagine that will hit us tomorrow. It's sunny right now and not too much wind.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

It's calm here also. Going out to take a few pic this morning.

Wyoming, MN

Came home with -5 this morning. Supposed to remain cold next few days. Seedlings have sprouted still waiting on others. Of course my own cross that I am most excited about hasn't done anything yet.

Gary

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Sunny and 9 degrees here right now.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Sunny and 6 degrees here , Man is every one cold this morning!!!

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Oh man, ya'll are making me cold just talking about those temps! That is why I live in the south I guess!! With my husband possibly losing his job, it was mentioned about N Dakota, and some other places up north having such low employment rates.....LOL.... I told him he could go on up there and look for a job and I would stay here til summer! :) I just don't think I could handle those type of temps on a regular basis.

It is 38 here and sprinkling rain off and on. At least since Christmas we have had rain and then the snow, then more rain several days so at least we are making a dent in being so far behind in rainfall.

Hope ya'll are all able to stay warm! I don't know how on earth you keep a house heated when it is 5 degrees outside!!! My son lost power in the snow storm and ran out of fire wood, had to go stay with friends and finally got power back on Monday afternoon. His house got down to 42 degrees!

Have a great day everyone!

Genna

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Well we ended up with only a few inches of snow in our area. Fine with me, though it's been freezing cold ever since. I think we got up to 29 for a high today. Going to be colder tomorrow. Already dying for spring.

Karen

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Just like you southerers get used to the heat, we up north get used to the cold. Anyway, when I was younger, 20's I would go ice fishing when it was l2 to 20 below zero. Not any more, lol.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

I don't know if I would ever get used to the cold. The cold in Colorado doesn't bother me as bad because it is so much drier, but when I went to Green Bay Wisconsin I thought that cold was just as wet as our cold and I don't like that! Yesterday it was 38 and drizzling rain when I left for work - this morning it was 31 - and the 31 felt better than the 38... I am sure it had to do with moisture levels - that moisture really works on my bones! :(

Hope everyone stays dry and warm! My youngest son is headed to near Dallas for the weekend - says it is supposed to be sunny and 60 degrees there. I told him to bring some back home with him!

Genna

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

I imagine here in Michigan it is a wet cold too. I know our summers can be extremely humid which I hate just as much as the cold.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I remember fishing at 15 or 18 degrees ,same here though, ain't happening these days I would be so stiff from the cold I would would have to use tools to ever be able to flex again.
Winter time from Texas through Utah into western flat lands of CO. or Wyoming are usual dry cold , Here it is like sitting in a bathtub, Like others, steam bathing in those western summers, Nears toleration!!!

Some of my elders use to say "My old bones feel like stones ,You will understand what I mean someday... lol Pennies to every youngster who ever heard that and similar and similar , The good old ""you'll see what I mean"" Now I am old enough to say that and I am old enough to still be hearing it too ...
21 degrees now,about 6 or so last night . Suppose to be back in the 40's next week , I could go for that!!

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

BRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It didn't get over 25 today. On the bright side, it'll get close to 40 tomorrow, so some of the snow and ice will be melting. The rest of the week will be in the upper 30s and lower 40s, although Wed. they're saying it will be almost 50. Hoping all the snow will be gone by next weekend. As we got only a few inches, it should be. I want to get some brush clearing done next weekend. At least I can get "something" done during the winter when there is no snow cover. There's no snow predicted in the 10 day forecast. Yay!

We get a wet cold here, and other times a dry cold. Just depends. Since the snow last Saturday night it's been a very dry cold. A dry cold can feel pretty raw when the wind is blowing.

Juhur7, you sound like us this week.

Karen

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

We always have a January thaw so I imagine these higher temps are it, only early. It usually happens at the end of January normally.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

So it usually thaws out and then refreezes?? February is usually our biggest month in Arkansas for winter precipitation......although there have been times we have had snow early - such as this past December and sometimes late...I remember one Easter when there was ice on the ground. But typically February is when most of it occurs. I remember one year when I was in High School it snowed every Wednesday in February. We would go to school on Monday and Tuesday, and sometimes start the day on Wednesday and then be sent home bc of weather. Then we missed every Thursday and Friday. As kids we thought it was awesome until April came and we were going to school on Saturdays to make up snow days!!! THAT was the pits! ^_^

It was 27 here this morning............... and is supposed to warm up to the 40s I think during the day.

Hope everyone has a great day!
Genna

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Yes Genna. I don't think it is a major thaw, like I don't believe the ground totally thaws but usually if we have any snow it goes away for a week. Then February and March can be brutal. Seems like winter here is shifting months. It is mild through December but then Jan, Feb & March are more winter.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Last year here from Feb on rain ,rain, and more rain not hardly even a flurry ,This year like last year we got snow around about Christmas . Next week they are saying 40's and rain after this weekends possible flurries , could be looking like a repeat of last year.
Everything was mud for months then baked dry as bricks, Welcome to Texas in Indiana.

Remember when there was a few days in February when it would warm up for a weekend and then be cold again until June ,
Things sure have changed about the weather. It is about 22 degrees here 18 for later and this morning ,There is a foot or snow covering everything , it is sunny enough to cause a headache ,(anyone with the flu this must be making them miserable) and make you feel slow,
My oh my it's a beautiful day!!!^_^

Wyoming, MN

It's COLD but the sun is shining brightly so not too bad. Qorking with my daylily seeds and orchids today. Indoor gardening will get me through the winter. Seeds are starting to show up in stores, the dream garden begins.

Gary

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

December is our coldest month, and the coldest day of that month was 31deg so January is a welcome time. I will start working the beds again.

I hope everyone had a great Christmas....and hope you all have a Happy New Year!

Photo December 19th

Thumbnail by Lyle627
Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Thanks Lyle!!! Happy New Year!!!

south central, WI(Zone 5a)

Just back on-line. 20" snow on the ground (one day of snow) first 5" very heavy..will have some bush/tree loss. Some very lovely trees in area are gonners :(

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Sorry to hear you had damage............ the storm in the Little Rock area on Christmas day did a lot of damage as well. Trees about an hour south of there had extensive damage too - lots of timber lost!

It rained here on January 1 - according to the old wives tale, it will rain at least 15 days this month. So far it is off to a good start because we had had several days of light rainfall including today. Nothing elaborate, but at least it is slowly helping to offset the huge deficit that we ended the year with. Hopefully we will catch up on some much needed rainfall without flooding ! But the temps are at 50 so we shouldn't have to worry about freezing rain, at least for now.

Lyle, right about now I am SURE everyone is jealous..........but come July and August they wont be! ^_^

Genna

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Genna - This was the hybridizing area on April 22, 2012

Thumbnail by Lyle627 Thumbnail by Lyle627
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

May 22, 2012

Thumbnail by Lyle627 Thumbnail by Lyle627 Thumbnail by Lyle627
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

June 17, 2012

Thumbnail by Lyle627 Thumbnail by Lyle627 Thumbnail by Lyle627 Thumbnail by Lyle627 Thumbnail by Lyle627
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

July 19, 2012 - Last photo is the northern garden just starting to get good bloom..It was about 78 that day.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

August 8, 2012 - Micro - Burst took out some of my vines and arbors..The daylily is God Save The Queen "good name" for the situation

Thumbnail by Lyle627 Thumbnail by Lyle627
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

September 22, 2012 - This is the time of year i start putting out seedlings, the daylilies start growth again..

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

October - This is my favorite time of year other than spring...

Thumbnail by Lyle627 Thumbnail by Lyle627 Thumbnail by Lyle627 Thumbnail by Lyle627 Thumbnail by Lyle627
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

November 27, 2012

Thumbnail by Lyle627 Thumbnail by Lyle627 Thumbnail by Lyle627 Thumbnail by Lyle627
Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

December 12, 2012

Thumbnail by Lyle627 Thumbnail by Lyle627 Thumbnail by Lyle627 Thumbnail by Lyle627
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Fantastic and cheerful pics!!!!!
Almost 50 here today, sunny ,same for tomorrow,

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Lyle thanks for sharing pics of the garden during the season. Nice!

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

It's pouring rain here this morning. All our snow is now gone.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.