Jasmine MOO Pest or Disease - I have tried everything!!

Austin, TX

I have a jasmine, Maid of Orleans that I have had for about 6 months. It is potted indoors in a bright window in a small pot with peat moss and 1/4 perlite and gets watered once every week and a half when the soil surface dries. I have fertilized with miracle-gro at half the indoor strength once.

My problem is that the leaves are wrinkled, grow with irregular edges, are slightly mottled, curl down at the edges, and the plant is not thriving.

The roots look healthy, there are no pests on it even upon examination with a 10x hand lens. I believe it had broad mites when I received it and I found a few with the hand lens. I treated it with Avid (abamectin) for over a month, with treatments every 5 days. Extensive examination over the next two months shows no return of broad mite infestation at all. There are no spider mites, scale, etc. but new leaves growth still have problems.

What should I do? What is this? I also treated the leaves and soil with Bayer 3-in-1 but have not had success in curing this thing.

Thumbnail by measurehunter Thumbnail by measurehunter Thumbnail by measurehunter Thumbnail by measurehunter Thumbnail by measurehunter
Prairieville, LA(Zone 9a)

I did some digging and found a name...but unfortunately all the info I could find was on "coat protein isolation"...the disease is called Jasmine sambac leaf curl Lakshmangarh virus....but no where was I able to get any solid info on this virus. In the various searches, I did discover that M of O does not like to be watered with cold water (one article stated that it could/would cause leaf damage) and also that whitefly and spidermites were the most common cause of leaf damage.

Is this a new problem? If the plant is in direct sun, or in the direct path of a heating/a/c vent, that could also contribute to problems.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Avid, Miracle Grow, Bayer 3 in 1?? Maybe it just needs to be left alone and get these chemicals out of its system. I would cautiously water it for awhile and see if it settles down. The leaves look nice a green. I hope this will resolve itself.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

i would agree...too many chemicals. some bayer products also clearly state on the label, NOT for potted plants.
would also agree that bright sun in a window can burn. when sun goes through glass, it intensifies.

Somewhere in, MD(Zone 7b)

That was my first thought too, the warm air from vents and maybe too bright/direct sunlight, closely followed by "Oh my, all those chemicals!" Also, in the window, how close TO the window is it? Is it possible it's too close and feeling the cold from outside? These Jasmines are probably the least hardy (to cold) of the bunch and react strongly to being too cold.

This is a vining shrub that can grow to about 6-8 feet, and it's a really fast grower... it might also be possible it needs, not only a root-pruning, but also a slightly larger pot.. say about 3 inches larger than what it's in now. I'm not sure when the last time was that you checked the roots, but if you've not done so within the last month or so, double-check the roots to make sure it's not getting root bound.

You might want to consider adding some pine fines to your potting mix, to add more, and more varied, organic matter (think natural habitat), and, in my humble little opinion, Throw Away the chemical fertilizer; Your baby should be getting fed much less frequently in the cold months anyhow, (yes, even potted up indoors), but when you do start feeding again at the start of "the growing season", go with something organic. You might actually be feeding it too much, not to mention, with a fert. that has salts in it that can be damaging to the plant.

Please keep us posted on how she's coming along! :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.