Caladiums for shade

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

While some caladiums can tolerate the sun, they all perform beautifully in the shade. I love how they brighten spots that have only brief morning sun - like this spot. The photo was taken at 8:19 AM on August 3rd and you can see the shade creeping in already at the left side. Hosta and some other plants do well here but it's the caladiums that are the star attraction.

Bill of Caldium Bulbs 4 Less has his Classified Ad on DG now and is giving a 15% discount to all of us when we use his code for our order. Here's his ad. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1289645/

Be sure to check out his "collections" of every kind. I ordered (among other items) the rare collection and it is 5 bulbs each of four different (separately bagged) caladiums that you won't see in most gardens.

In the past I have bought from other places (I am a blonde!) but after growing Bill's caladiums I'm totally hooked on them.

Thumbnail by pirl
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Beautiful pix Pirl.Is that Gingerland?

Yes, and that's where I'll always have Gingerland.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

What is the dark leaved plant with it? coleus?

The one you introduced to me: Lancelot Velvet Mocha!

I tried many others with Gingerland but LVM won, hands down.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I need to put that old friend on my RD order.Tanks for the reminder

You're welcome!

Time is running out on Bill's offer of a 15% discount to all on DG so order if you haven't done so already. It's really a great deal.

Could $11.00 of any other plant brighten this area as well for as long as caladiums do? I doubt it.

Thumbnail by pirl
Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

pirl -- I forgot again!!

I happened to be out of town in January and missed this sale again.

I have a lady friend in Lake Placid, and she has offered to pick up my bulbs this year.
She is just wondering if the bulbs will be fine in a car for about a week, -- til she gets to WI.

Next year I will have to set a reminder to order in Jan... though DH seems to like to vacation then.... I actually drove thru Lake Placid on my way to the Keys in Feb.

Terese

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Terese:
Bulbs should be fine as long as they dont heat up too much in a car.
They shouldnt be left out to dry out.I have stored the unopened bags in a closet.

I'd be more concerned with the coldness of the car each night for a week!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Guess this goes down in the Risks we Take column.

Yes!

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

this friend of mine... she puts her car on a transport.... so she is assuming it may get HOT in her car going from FLA to WI. I was thinking they'd be OK as long as they were not damp. [thinking they may start to grow with the heat and dampness. ]

I found Bill on FB and plan on dropping him an email.

But for next year, I'll set a reminder on my phone to remind me of his sale in Dec/Jan.

but boy oh boy... i can not wait until I'm a FLA resident... all the new plants I'll get to play with.... 2 more yrs.

I'd rely on Bill's reply.

I'm sure it will be exciting and you won't miss all the plants we, in the north, can grow...that can't be grown in "sunny FL"!

Each area of our wonderful country has its positives and negatives. It's up to us to dwell on the positives..."You've got to accentuate the positive, eliminate the negative, latch on to the affirmative, don't mess with Mister In-Between..." Lyrics by Johnny Mercer (eons ago)

I bet JoAnn remembers the song!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Groaaaaan Indeed I do.

I'm glad to have such good company, JoAnn!

Seriously, attitude does matter!

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

One thing I will miss ... all my hostas. I have some nice ones in IL.... but we are keeping our WI place where I have about 100 or so named varieties.
but I will love that I can grow Salvias as perennials. but you are right... pros and cons to everywhere.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

What a great pair of gardens you will have.North and South.

That really should be ideal.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

This week is supposed to be (very) warm, so I'm hoping my CB4L order arrives soon. I have been unable to reach Bill, but he is good about watching the temps before shipping. I could never take advantage of the discount despite the timely order on the website. It never keeps me from ordering and trying something new.

I'm already too warm, Marcia!

I love trying caladiums I've never grown before. This year I ordered the "rare" collection and some FM Joyner...maybe some others - just can't remember.

Enjoy this great day!

The masons have arrived to change the path in the old vegetable garden and the head guy has a nicer design than what I wanted. I am SO excited!

Thumbnail by pirl
Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Yay! It is going to be sooo nice.

Enjoy!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I love a creative professional.So many just do what they think the client wants.

Even the owner of the company didn't have the same idea as the head mason. He's great!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

That will be lovely.Serpentine is always a good visual.

They're still here!

Yes, I like the serpentine but we can't do it in every garden. It wouldn't work along the driveway but that has a long natural curve to it anyhow.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

We paid a lot of money for a mason to do some work for us. It was worth every penny.

It is worth it. Next they'll be doing a brick/paver pad outside the shed with a new ramp they'll make and then a triple walk in the garden out front.

This photo is from an online contractor's site but it's how one of the three parts of the front path(s) will be.

Thumbnail by pirl
Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

that is beautiful.

Thanks. That will end up going much farther than the curve and will have another curve coming off of it.

As of 7 PM tonight, here's the redone path in the old vegetable garden, my new garden and I will have some lettuce as edging, maybe some peppers but no cukes or tomatoes in here!

...and now the photo!

All of the current deer mesh will be replaced with metal but I can't remember what it's called. It's been a long day! New black poles will be used to hold the new fencing.

Thumbnail by pirl
Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

They completed a lot. Will surely be lovely. Will it keep out some of the deer also?

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Professionals know how to lay a foundation for stone that keeps the stone from heaving.along with other problems that non pros leave out due to the intense labor.
I loved designing this path using left over countertop for the flower-star detail.
Duering the season the stone shifted and flipped out in places.
Landscaper said the countertop wasnt thick enough to use that way.
Its not an impossible situation and I can live with it but wont use the leftovers in the new paths he will do soon.

Pirl: The gentle driveway curve is enough to carry the eye .Its just going to be beautiful.

Thumbnail by ge1836 Thumbnail by ge1836

I was shocked. Laying the base took them from 8 AM until 4:36 PM. You can tell I was taking photos and they do show the time! "Intense" is putting it mildly! I had no idea this much work could go into the path. Now they're cutting pavers to fit the gaps, as I sit in my pajamas! I don't know the technical name of this pounder item that the guy is using here but they used it for a long time and many times. I'm impressed.

Love your detail, Jo Ann. It's a shame it didn't work out perfectly but I am glad you can live with it. I don't need "perfect" when it comes to using my ideas. There's something so personal about anything beautiful that we can create that I'd be thrilled with what you designed!

Could you get your contractor to create a stepping stone flower out of extras? With just one "landing pad" type of stepping stone, it just might be possible to form it up so it will withstand the weather. Doesn't cost anything to ask.

Thumbnail by pirl
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I dont know the name of the pounder but its important for the base to drain and yet be nearly solid.We used "stonesand" its between sand and peagravel,has many sharp edges and once in pl;ace its hard to dig thru.
You can bet your walk wont shift or spread sideways over time and many people walking on it.
Stone is set on top of the bed and more stone stand is poured on and swept into the cracks.

I wish I was 30 years younger.Loved building stuff back when.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Has anyone heard about the late Caladiums from Bill?
I have a late May order,hope its comming.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Jo Ann -- I usually get my order in June. [zone4 in WI] Once I had to do a "gentle reminder" - but if i recall correctly, he was ill that year.
I'd give him a jingle or pop an email... I'm sure he'll get back to you asap. I've always had decent/timely email correspondence with him.

I only get my caladiums after Mother's Day - my preference. I'd bet Bill is just busy.

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I need them by last week of May when I do my planters and the gift planters for GF's
He usually is on time.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.