Osmanthus fragrancs; Have you planted any?

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Hi all, I recently was introduced to this wonderful shade shrub that's said to withstand some canopy shade in the garden. I love the fragran the flowers emit. I would like to find out more information about their culture. Is it a fast growing shrub? At what age will they begin to send out flowers ect.

Decatur, GA(Zone 7b)

I've had a couple of them for about 8 years and they are about 8' tall. They take pruning well if you want to keep them smaller. When I was a kid I often slept with my head in an open window to catch the fragrance from a neighbor's Osmanthus. Mine are in an area that gets mostly filtered sun. A hard freeze may cause them to drop a few leaves but not so much that the plants look bad. Mine are blooming now and I love that smell. I think they bloom at an early age but I can't say for certain.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Many thanks for your comment. I am very fond of the scent this plants produce when in blooms. I stopped by a local nursery today, some of them were in flowers while sitting in a 3 gallons pots, and roughly 3-4 feet tall. I was thinking; Instead of planting shrubs that are in flowers....chances are they maybe rootbound (in 3 gallon-pots vs smaller 1-gallon pot for instance). I prefer to plant smaller plants, but rip the rewards after they establish in the garden.

Your thought is welcome. Thanks again.

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

I have one planted by my kitchen window and it's in flower right now and smells so good. You can get one any size and within 2 years of planting you will get flowers. My plant is about 8 ft. I used to work at a place where they were planted all across the front and they kept them at 3 ft. all the time and they bloomed a lot don't know how much but great smelling plant (tree to 20 plus feet) that is easy to grow.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

hymenocallis, thanks for sharing your experience. How much sun/shade does your Sweet Olive get?

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Right now almost no sun(on the north side of my house). By high summer and on until fall about 4-6 hrs of sun. In full bloom right now. Freeze last night made a few flowers flinch but they still smell real good!!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Many thanks hymenocallis, I'm sold on this lovely plants! I appreciate your feedback.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

We've started out with a few Osmanthus fragrants, some hydrangeas, planted some Cast Iron plants, and hosta. Will add some more such as camellias and buck eyes to the area. Right now bare deciduous trees affording this area plenty of sunshine. Come summer it will become canopy shaded.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.