What is growing in your GH

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

This is the first year we will heat our GH all winter. Many of my Tropical plants were moved from the yard into the GH for the winter. Right now I have a Bazillion Plume Flower and Hibiscus blooming.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

The coleus cutting Ric took earlier this fall are doing great. The verbena, bougainvillea and another Trop Hib are also blooming but not enough to get good pics of them.
Anyone else have some pic to share or plants to talk about.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

This is kind of a crazy time for my greenhouse. I have all the leftover starter plants of the Holiday/Christmas Cactus that I sell, all colors. I also have Star Jasmine blooming. I have a beautiful red mandevilla that has been blooming all summer and is still blooming. Several begonias and they are growing like weeds. Goldfish plants and spider plants are all blooming. Then there are several new cuttings of begonias, jasmine and gardenias just starting. It is time to begin to transplant into larger pots, but they will not stop blooming. I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas. JBsPlants.

Thumbnail by JBerger Thumbnail by JBerger Thumbnail by JBerger Thumbnail by JBerger Thumbnail by JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

Holly, I have had my shade cloth on since early Spring. The sun is so warm that I only have one heater going most of the time and that is on low to medium. It has been a difficult summer and fall trying to keep the plants cool enough so they produce when they are supposed to. As you can see, I can only control some of them for so long. Most of the Thanksgivings Cactus bloomed on time. The Christmas Cactus stock plant is just beginning to bloom but that is in the house. Have you had any problems with the weather changes affecting your GH plants?

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh everything looks so nice. I just moved my Madagascar Jasmine from the house to the GH. I would love to see it bloom. Your GH must smell so good with your Star Jasmine blooming. A friend dropped by today with several planters. She had received them when her husband died and they aren't looking too good. She doesn't get much light inside her house. Small windows and big shade trees don't make for very good growing conditions although most of the plants should do well with little light. We will re pot them and maybe I can return a few to her next spring for out on the porch.

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

That is so nice of you to do that. I have been giving some plants away because I just need more space and I am too old to add an addition on to the GH. I keep saying I am going to retire from propagating plants but I never do. LOL. Is there something you would like to have that I can send you? I will not be shipping again until January 7th but I will be happy to send you something if you see anything you like. No charge of course. Just a gift from an old Lancaster County PA girl to another PA girl. I have a store on eBay..JBsPlants and one on cubits. You can check out my website www.JBsbirdsandmore.com and if you see anything you like just yell. If I have it I will be happy to share it with you. Did you ever sell anything on DG MarketPlace? I was sorry to see them close it down because I shared so many plants with people through that. I am not good at trading unless someone has something that I really need. I just am out of space. That is what happens when you get old. You never throw anything away, even when it looks like it may never bloom again. Yes, it smells so good.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh JB such a nice offer. Hopefully one of these days I will get down your way for a visit.
I am really sure that one of the plants in the planter is a Gold Dust Aucuba. It would be a perennial in our area. Her's is very small but it sure does look just like my big one. So I am going to pot that one up special and see how it does till next spring when we can transplant it to her shady yard. I haven't sold any plants. Just do a few trades and spread them around at the DG Plant Swaps and at my HGHA Meetings.

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

Major clean up and throw out time for my Greenhouse this week. Had to make room for new cuttings. Also, it is soon time for the State Inspector to come and I had to be sure there were no little cute mealy bug, scale, or whatever were not in among the plants that I had not noticed.
All Clear and clean. Yahoo!

I have started to bathe and cut my Holiday Cactus so I can have the cuttings ready to sell in October. I had to wait until they were finished blooming and some are still blooming. I was only able to cut 13 different ones because the others were showing signs of more buds.

Begonias, Jasmine, Holiday cactus, mandevilla, bougainvillea, spider, orchids, orchid cactus, pineapple, Bird of Paradise, Goldfish plant, and that is about all I can remember at this time.

That is about it for February. Have a good day. JB

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

Since we've had such a very very mild Winter, I didn't have to bring anything into the greenhouse until about a month ago. Now it's filled with my tropical hibiscus, hoyas, peppers (dug up from the garden last Fall), succulent cuttings, holiday cactus, night blooming cirius, bird of paradise and other odds and ends.
We're supposed to be having cool to cold (i.e. seasonally appropriate) temps for the next 2-3 weeks, so I may actually have to turn on the propane heater.
Barb

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Hi Barbie, Your GH sounds a bit like mine. I have 2 Trop Hibiscus, 2 big blue Strawberry Pots with succulents, a NBC
and a white BOP as well as many other things. My DH Ric is starting seeds right now and he has about 8 flats of seedlings. I have several orchids in there and one is getting ready to bloom. I was planing on carrying it up to the house but right now it is 28* outside. I did bring up a mini Amaryllis that has 2 blooms just getting ready to open.
Here are some pictures:
I picked up these 2 new Anthurium and put them down there for a few days. I would like to bring them up to the house as well. That is a variegated Sky Blue Vine. I dug that out of the yard last fall. It is putting on some new growth and I have hopes of seeing it bloom next summer.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

The plant plugs have come in and Ric spent days transplanting them into small flats. Some of the house plants have been pushed into the garage to be moved out in the sun during the day and back into the garage at night. Temps are rising but not quite warm enough to just put them out side. Thousands of tiny plants.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

Holly, I hope you have good weather to get them all planted. Good luck. We are going to try and plant our 500 Christmas Tree babies tomorrow. I hope it is not too wet. Later. JB

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Everything but some of the direct sown alyssum has been up-planted and all are doing well. Somehow we ended up with twice as much alyssum as expected. I'll probably have to install shade cloth by the beginning of May. Tomatoes and peppers will soon be ready to harden by moving to the garage at night.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I added a 50% shade cloth last week. I picked up a remnant from Growers Supply for about $40, shipping included. Probably reduced my watering by 50% I didn't want to chance using the old fashion white wash we used on the commercial houses. I don't think I recall using it on polycarbonate and didn't want to damage mine. The old stuff we used would start peeling with the first hard frost.

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

I keep my shade cloth on most of the year now. The sun is hotter than I ever remember it being and I still mist or water every day unless it is cloudy. I have eveything open too and a fan going. It still gets to nearly 100 daily when the sun and humidity are going full swing. Hope you have better luck. JB

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Since I added the shade cloth I'm probably 20*F cooler. I am going to get a mister set up on one of the benches with a timer as soon as I get time, I think it will help my orchids and begonias. I still have to order a louvered fan and get the hard wiring done before fall. The double doors that came with the greenhouse are 6' wide, but poorly constructed as far as retaining heat. A friend gave me two 6' Anderson sliding glass doors and I think I will install one on the GH, that would also allow me to use the screen door. I plan to build a headhouse on the north end of the GH and will probably install the other there giving me a wide door and natural light.

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

Sounds good....saves alot when you can do it yourself. Good job.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.