Caladiums for 2013

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Absolutely! Yours are on hormones!

This message was edited Jul 15, 2013 10:18 PM

Thumbnail by pirl
Williamstown, NJ(Zone 6b)

I had some pots that were just poking out of the ground when I left for vacation. when I came back It was in full attention. I am so happy with the 5lb box I got of mixed bulbs. What a show of different color.

Thanks Bill.

Everyone wants to know where I got them. I point them to Bill.

Lake Placid, FL(Zone 9b)

marie_kap, I appreciate that more than you'll ever know!! Word of mouth advertising can't be beat, especially with something like plants or bulbs.

Mary, Those leaves are HUGE but I have a couple that have you beat. I will have to get a picture of them and post them for you all to see. The leaves are about 30" from top to bottom. Although they are the most sun tolerant caladium we grow they do even better in the shade!! They'll definitely get A LOT Bigger!!!
Did I by chance send you an invitation to the Caladium Festival next week?

I'll have a classified ad up and running anytime too. Keep an eye out for it.....

Happy Gardening!!
Bill

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

I guess the answer is HEAT. In the past 48 hours, every caladium bulb, regardless of planting, is popping and growing like crazy in the heat. Depending on the size of the container and the stage of growth, some plants need to be watered twice daily.

Thanks, Bill!

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

I anyone can identify this one, I'd be very appreciative. It's pastel pink, with a dark green crisp band around the outside edge of the leaf. I've never seen any more of them anywhere, and don't really remember where I got it.

Thumbnail by MerryMary
Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Pink splash?

WOW! I think it just might be! At least that's the closest of anything I've seen!

Thanks!

How are all of our caladiums performing now that it's August?

Mine are doing very well and I'm thrilled as I always am with Bill's bulbs.

He sent me one of his "bigger than super colossal" bulbs and I planted it on Tuesday. You can see it in the box with sprouts already present, then as I took it from the packing and planted it. The last photo shows it as of 7/30. I can't wait to see how huge it gets!

Edited to add - it's planted in a 12" wide container.

This message was edited Aug 2, 2013 10:11 PM

Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl
Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

They ARE huge!

Wow that is huge. Please post pics of that one once it is fully up. I want to see that one.

Me, too. I watch it daily and can't wait to see the leaves.

Here is a few of mine.
1- is in my little woodland garden.
2-, a few tucked in with the Hydrangeas.
3-, My front patio.
4-, my back yard which I can never get anything that blooms to live except day lilies. So it is nice to have these there so I can have some color. Next year I am going to have more pots and Caladiums in many different colors.
Search for large pots on sale, is the next thing I need to do.

Thumbnail by marie_kap Thumbnail by marie_kap Thumbnail by marie_kap Thumbnail by marie_kap Thumbnail by marie_kap

They're all so lovely, Marie. Your gardens are very nice and neat and I wish I had your shade.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

The do look lovely, Marie. I like what you did especially in the first one around the tree. The others look so bountiful and happy.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

While this has not been the greatest gardening summer for me, without question the caladiums have come through!

The deer have been eating our beautiful tomatoes before they can ripen. The coleus and other tender leaf plants have been dinner for all the insects that hatched after the heavy rains and extended heat wave. Due to my negligence, many of the lilies were planted too late and produced disappointing blooms.

But the Caladiums! In large containers with good drainage, two waterings a day during the heat wave: they have been magnificent! (They will also spend the winter indoors.)

Thumbnail by cathy166 Thumbnail by cathy166 Thumbnail by cathy166 Thumbnail by cathy166

For a slow start in a cold spring, the caladiums are now in their glory, Marcia. I'm thrilled with them and others I write to are saying the same thing about Bill's caladiums.

Have we all left good feedback for Bill? I hope so!

Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl Thumbnail by pirl
Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Glad you reminded me about the feedback update. I hope he gets good press because I got a very nice order. I hope he opens the website for new orders early.

I did some mixing and matching, which wasn't exactly the best idea. Gingerland is a lot larger than Florida Sweetheart, and in one of the containers I had to move foliage to find her. I stuck a few calla lilies in with Miss Muffet which turned out to be a nice combo.

Your Marie Moir did well also, and I love your Carolyn Whortons in their containers on your wall. Were White Christmas and good choice with Florida Sweetheart, or were they sort of lost for you, too?

I know that the speed of growth had a lot to do with the containers. Now in full array, the one 48-inch long window box had both Florida Sweethearts and Gingerlands, and together they seemed to take forever to sprout even when they were planted at the same time as earlier risers. I'm sure I could have used half as many bulbs in most containers and still would have had a good display based on the number of "nodes" on each bulb.

This photo is the 4 foot box of Florida Sweethearts with one Gingerland in the center.

Thumbnail by cathy166

I love Florida Sweetheart...I had a box filled with FS and White Wing across the front. It made a pretty display.

I had to check to make sure I left feedback and I did. The negative reviews by another caladium company still strikes me as abuse of Garden Watchdog. What would we expect from a competitor but something negative?

I'm with you, Marcia, in not mixing and matching. I keep trying but it doesn't give the effect I want. I enjoy a huge mass of the same plant and feel the shorter ones don't get lost that way. Your photo is lovely with the mix you selected - sorry the FS didn't show up but mine are much shorter this year in a hanging basket and yet closer to normal height in the window box with White Christmas. It was very confusing. Next year it will be one variety for both window boxes. Bill still can't count and always sends more than the bag says (and his bulbs ARE larger than big box stores) so I have no doubt it will be fine. I fully agree about using fewer bulbs per container but the thought of "skimpy" keeps me from doing that.

I'll get more photos of the FS hanging basket today.

I do love caladiums with coleus or fuchsia and even petunias.

MerryMary - I'm sure that did look great! Take photos, please.

Lake Placid, FL(Zone 9b)

Beautiful pictures girls!!! Keep them coming!!!

Bill

Bill - you have no idea of the many Emails/Dmails I get from others raving about your great bulbs.

We need to form a Bill's Caladiums Fan Club!

Lake Placid, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks Arlene!! You girls are the Best!!!!
I am very humbled to say the least too!!

Bill

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.