Pic of Hawaiian sunset vine bloom

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Unfortunately vine broke in 1/2 so I tied sheer fabric around split and put some root hormone on it hoping it will heal. If not will cut it and try to start new plant. It grows very fast.

Thumbnail by BonnieGardens
Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Very pretty Bonnie. Love the color.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

yes, very nice, Ive been waiting to see what it was going to look like. I love flowers with orange and pink

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

The pic. doesn't really do justice to the beautiful colors but thought you would enjoy seeing it anyhow. Vine broke completely so I peeled some bark back and dipped in rootone and planted it in same pot. I'm hoping it will root.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Bonnie, mine is loaded with buds and now has a couple of blooms. Take that broken piece and stick it in a TALL pot of good potting soil - it should root in about 4 weeks.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

It's in good soil so hopefully it will root. It's such a beautiful vine.
Kay, do you have to bring it inside when it gets cold? I'm sure your area is colder than mine.

Oh, YES - we get a couple of nights of hard freeze. I leave it out until night temps drop to 40, then I bring it in. It's difficult to move, being in a 30 gallon tub.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Mines just in 2 gal. pot so I can bring it in but my house is all wood walls so pretty dark. Will have to put a light up over it I guess. Occasionally we get 27 night time temps. I figured that would do it in so will protect it. Thanks you for info.

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

That is an absolutely beautiful flower. I just love bright colors. I need to add this to my "NEED this plant" list!!!!!

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Quilter if my rooting works I will have one for you at next RU. Have 2 stuck in pot and hope they make it.
Bonnie

Bonnie - thank you so much!!! Maybe by RU time I'll finally have a plant to share.

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Does anybody have seeds from this plant they could share or swap? Thank you!

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Buttoneer,
Haven't had this long enough to know much about it but if I can get a rooted cutting or 2 I can send 1.

Bonnie, they root easily, though the cuttings do take a couple of months to root. Here's how I was told: take a foot-long cutting, dip it in rooting hormone, stick it in some well-draining potting mix and keep it moist.

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

I was given a small cutting of this last fall by a neighbor and it wasn't blooming at the time. It's caught! Now I am looking forward to it. Somehow I forgot to research it until your photo brought it back to mind! It is like a tropical sunset Morning Glory! It took forever to get going...

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Ah but I'm sure its worth waiting for. Blossom I took pic of was the only one I got. Kay thats just how I did it. On the largest section left it now has 2 buds. I have it right next to my front door so if temp. drops and I put it inside easy.

You know how some plants just captivate your interest well this one sure got my attention.
Some lady in Mulberry said she had lots of them so I contacted her but couldn't effect buying any. Said she had many rooted cuttings. Hopefully someday I will also but I doubt I'd ever plant them out in yard as too cold sensitive.
Anyhow, I'll just hope for the best.

Bonnie

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Bonnie, Thanks much. I would gladly reimburse you for the cost of the postage but March or April would be better for shipping up here to Pa. I have a greenhouse, so no problem keeping it warm. I believe the scientific name is Stictocardia beraviensis.
http://www.google.com/search?q=stictocardia+beraviensis&hl=en&tbo=u&tbm=isch&source=univ&sa=X&ei=AuIBUY7XGM6u0AGHv4CIDA&sqi=2&ved=0CC0QsAQ&biw=800&bih=437

Buttoneer, I think it would be safer to wait until June for Bonnie to ship to you. This plant is super cold-sensitive.

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Okey Dokey. Thanks, Kay for the advice. Then, June it is, then and would give her a chance to get the cuttings rooted. Isn't it possible to get seeds off this plant? I did a google images on it & it showed seeds. Thanks.

Yes, they do set seeds if pollinated, but mine has never set seeds. You can buy the seeds on EBay.

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

My friend Sue has had hers in the ground here 2 years, and it comes back on her fence like a weed! However I read last night that many say they do just as well in a pot and don't mind being shaped up on occasion. Sometimes more blooms this way... Just looking forward to the first one!

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

I figured it will take a couple of months to root and get well established. In your climate better to ship to in summer I'm sure.
I just hope it roots.

David, sure hope yours does well. They are really a beautiful bloom.

Bonnie

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Buttoneer,

Got a lousy memory so please D-mail me in June and see if I successfully rooted some.

On our way back up to my original home Connecticut we went thru Carlisle one year. Great looking little town. No more trips up north now my family is all gone. If your ever in Fl. you can stop by and visit my garden and ponds. One of my greatest joys is sharing gardening and ponding experiences with others.

Bonnie

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Bonnie, I've been badgering my DH to take me back to Florida once more. His Aunt & Uncle live in Lakeland and I have a couple of girlfriends, one living in Auburndale and one in Plant City but I can't seem to get him to take the camper down there & spend some time, preferably in March. All he seems to want to do is to go to Va. and go gold prospecting. Men, anyway!

Buttoneer - I'm originally from outside of Pittsburgh, went to college in both Erie & Indiana, & can tell you a winter in FL (on a bad day) beats any in PA!!!!!! Washed pollen off of 3 cars yesterday & got a sun burn in the process!!!!! The decision to move down here was one of the best we ever made.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

As a Born Floridian I can tell you this is not a normal winter. AND our summers can be hot as h***!!!!

Sandy

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Button,
I am about 30 mins. from Lakeland and Plant City is not far either. March maybe warm but shouldn't be hot and h---.
Wren is right we are not experiencing a normal winter by any means. I still haven't covered any plants but last night it went down to 33 at least when I got up at 6AM. I ran out with flashlight in bathrobe to check my fish. They all were living so I'm happy.

After being here 43 years I know I couldn't take the northern cold anymore. When it gets real hot I just come inside with the AC and work inside the house. Can't have everything in the way of weather so I just go with the flow.

Bonnie

Qwilter I have found that people who first come to live in Florida love our winters but after a few years they find out why we Floridians think it is darn cold when we do have cold weather. Our problem is we never have a chance to get use to a weather change. We may wake up freezing in the morning and in shorts by afternoon. Back when I worked I saw a lot of my Northern coworkers get very sick during their 2 and 3 winters down here.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Been babying that Hawaii sunset vine along. Looks like it might have been worth the effort. Now it is loaded with buds.
The cuttings did not root but I will keep trying. Quilter when you come down for RU we will cut some off and you may have better luck than I did.

Bonnie

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

Curb alert! If you live in the Orlando area and want any of the 300 fingernail bromeliads I just ripped out and put down at the curb, have at them! DMail me for the address. Please don't knock, just load and go! :)

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

My little Hawaiian Sunset is still sitting there,...I am hoping it was just because of the late cold weather. It does have a new growth bud showing development though!

David

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

My Hawaii sunset vine has finally got a bunch of buds on it and has bloomed 2 flowers so far. They are really beautiful.

I have more patience with waiting for plants to mature than many other things. Good luck all with yours. The 2 I started dried up and died but I will keep trying.

Bonnie

I have a UI vine on my side fence that looks a lot like this vine. Since the winter was so mild, it just kept growing. BLooming like crazy now. Perhaps I'll take come cutting & see if I can get them to root.

Bonnie, don't toss them! I had the same thing happen - it took nearly a year for the cuttings to root - maybe patience is the key to success with these cuttings.

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

They do produce seeds. I'd take a small paintbrush & try to o=pollenate all the flowers LMK if this works for you.

Clermont, FL(Zone 9a)

Thanks Kay, I'll try again.
Bonnie

DeLand, FL(Zone 9b)

What is a UI vine Q?

I had just got the Hawaiian Sunset cutting before Winter and it had just started rooting then. I thought it was a goner a month ago but it is all of a sudden growing. Hurray! I worked the soil really well with lots of good compost and gave it a home by the front door yesterday. Here's a couple of pic's now...and am hoping to be able to show it blooming by Summer...

Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand

UI = unidentified........................no idea what I planted 5 years ago!!!!

Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Here are some more photos of Bonnie's sunset vine I took at the round up...
-Sherri

Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed Thumbnail by sunkissed

Lovely

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.