December is here...........Merry Christmas

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

If I remember right it looked like this

Thumbnail by Riverland
Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

That is neat! I wouldn't mind having one of those. I have one of those same metal carts that fold up and the liner. I haven't used it in ages. I bought mine at Canton one year. It did work great at Canton.

The bag on wheels I bought at Garden Ridge is similar but smaller and stands on it's own. It's all canvas with a zipper on the top. You can't put a box in it but I pack things in it like I would a box and then just take the whole thing out of the car and roll in. It will hold quite a bit. I've taken it to auctions before and packed stuff into it rather than a box. I've noticed another lady that does the same thing.

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Yes this wagon is wonderful, especially since I have such a small car. I can fold it up and still fit plants in the back. I think it would be perfect for what you need too, Cindy.

We got the results from Ashley's test and they don't show a blockage so in one sense that is good but she is still having the same problem and since the test with the barium her stomach has hurt worst. The Dr. called and said to give her Miralax every hour for 4 hours and we did that yesterday and nothing so far. They don't believe in suppositories or enamas(sp) any more or this Dr. doesn't.

Ripley, MS

Oh Jeri, was sure hoping for an answer with that test.

Cindy did you look at SAMs on line. Please don't work yourself down with the booth. I am glad you are enjoying it, just take it easy

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

Thanks Sandra!!! Me too!!! I feel like we are back at square one other than the Dr. does still think that she has that gastroparasis.

I looked online for Cindy and couldn't find it but will check at Sam's when I get to go.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Sandra, I tried that link again and it appears to be just for mobile phones. I will just look for the song on youtube--maybe I can find it that way.

Cindy: I agree with Sandra--have fun, but don't over-work yourself! That fold-up wagon is really neat looking. I have never seen one like that.

I love "plunking around" in flea markets--you just never know what you might find. A lot of the booths are way overpriced on their merchandise, in my opinion, but those are mainly the ones that have a lot of glassware and trinkets.
Al and I bought an old iron garden gate at a flea market this last summer. I wanted one to put in the flower bed because I had bought some seeds of an old-fashioned flower called "Kiss me over the garden gate". My cousin had those in her flower bed and I thought they were beautiful. Naturally, I needed an old garden gate to go with the seeds. LOL Well, the seeds are supposed to be planted
in the fall so when I went to look for where I put the seed package, I couldn't find them!!! ARRRRRGGGGHHH! I'll just have to keep looking and hope it isn't too late to get them planted. :(

Jeri: so sorry that Ashley is still having these symptoms. SOMEWHERE there just has to be an answer for what is causing her problems. Hugs to you both!!

Have you all seen the meteor shower? tonight is supposed to be a good night to view it--between midnight and 2 a.m. is supposed to be the best time in our area but I will definitely not be awake at those hours! LOL We are going outside now to look--hopefully, we will be able to see at least some of it.

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

That was what I ended up doing too, Marilyn. It is really pretty.

Cindy & I, both almost attacked this little Japanese lady that had one at the New Orleans Botanical Garden plant sale last year. I came right home and found one. I love mine. It has a canvas carrying case to put it neatly in the trunk.

Thanks for the well wishes for Ashley. I believe that too!! I just hate that she has to suffer while we are on this scalvager hunt for the answer.

Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

Good morning, y'all! I just got home from an almost 2-week trip. Have been reading and so enjoying the photos (furniture, deer, etc), and the stories!! Oh the stories of getting lost and seeing the 'Nope' signs, Marilyn, made me laugh, but it is kinda scary!

Cindy, so sorry you missed your 'big one' but glad Brandon got such a nice trophy buck! What good family fun! I don't think I ever mentioned what a great job you did with the doll house and furniture. That is awesome and so special!

Jeri, glad you are better and I almost feel the same way as you about the spirit. I am so far behind where i'd like to be I almost don't know what to do next. Woke up this morning early planning to start laundry and we had no water!! Great way to start out at 4:30 am!! Anyway after getting home at 3:30, we went to my daughters and I took a shower and we had our first Living Christmas Tree performance last night. I was exhausted but pushed through it with prayers from my alto section buddies and caffeine, am so glad I did as it was so meaningful and really got me back into what the season is really about.

Sandra, enjoy your new chair! Glad you had such a nice surprise from your family.

Charlotte, you are busy as usual and your furniture pieces are beautiful!

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

We've been missing you Elaine! Glad to see your back! Where did you go on vacation?

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

I'm guessing Elaine was on a business trip but I could be wrong. (What? Me? Wrong? LOL) I haven't seen a Living Christmas Tree program in years. I would really like to attend another performance like that--they are usually very well done. I will have to investigate and find out if there is a program like that in our area--maybe next year.

We did go out around 10 p.m. last night to see the meteor shower. We saw maybe half a dozen meteors but that was about it. They were mainly just a quick flash in the sky--some brighter than others. It was too cold to stand outside for very long. I guess we were out there about 10 minutes.

Al had an appt. with his heart doctor yesterday--all is well but he is scheduled for a "routine" stress test in March to make sure his heart and arteries are doing okay since his heart attack 3 years ago. After reading all the instructions and the information about what happens during a stress test, (I've never had one), I think I would tell the doctor to "Skip it and think of something else to check out my arteries!" :o~ Oh, well, "you gotta do what you gotta do"!

We are going down to central AR tomorrow for the week-end. We will see my son and grandson tomorrow afternoon and then go on down to Benton, AR to spend the night and go to another holiday get-together with Michelle #2 and Michelle #3 and their families.

You ladies have a good week-end! :o)

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Marilyn not to alarm you but it is important that Al have the stress test regularly. My mother's family has a history of heart problems. Once you've had bypass surgery doesn't mean you'll never have to have it done again. My mother had quadruple by-pass surgery 2 times and needed it for the third time before she died but other complications (congestive heart failure) prevented them from being able to do it. She watched her diet (no fried foods, no salt, etc) and followed her doctor's instructions very carefully. She also walked every day even in the rain! My brother never had by pass surgery but he had numerous stents put in. He said he had rather have a stent put in than go to the dentist.
All that just to say it is something not to take lightly especially with his diabetic condition.
A number of years ago I decided I wanted to have a stress test just as a precaution. My doctor didn't really think I needed one but for my peace of mind he ordered one. It was not a big deal but I'm thinking Al will probably need to have one that involved a lot more than the one I had. Mine was just the treadmill type stress test.

Ripley, MS

Pat has to have the chemical induced stress test and she hates it, they pretty much put you at the edge of a heart attack to see what they need to see.

Yes, it was a business trip. I'm exhausted. It was in London, which normally would be sort of fun, but it was very cold, so it wasn't fun to go out anywhere. It gets dark around 4 pm and the sun doesn't rise until after 8 am this time of year. It is pretty this time of year to see the city all decorated for Christmas. But we had really long work days most of the time I was there. I did have one weekend and did a little poking around.

Yes, Marilyn, the Living Christmas Tree is beautiful and we enjoy doing it. This is somewhere around our 12th year to do it.

I'm listening to the broadcasts about the horrible tragedy in Connecticut at the school. It makes me just sick. Of course, I've been teary today anyway. Today would have been my Mama's birthday, and I guess between being tired and that, I've been on the weepy side. You'll always miss your Mom, and you'll always want to hug your babies a little tighter after something like this tragedy. Prayers for everyone in Newtown, CT.

Ripley, MS

Yes, Elaine, I agree, I will always miss my Mom and my Gunny too. I cannot imagine the pain the families have to be in that lost their children today. No wonder you are tired if you have been working in London for 2 weeks.
It has been said there is no love like a Mothers love, I lost 2 Moms because I was raised in the house with Gunny. I miss my Granddaddy, but was never as close to him as Mamma and Gunny. Pat was telling me the other day that she can remember Gunny getting me up in her lap and trying to bump me to sleep when I was probably 4 or 5 years old, she said I was way too big for her lap, but she had me there anyway. Pat is 6 years older than I.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

No wonder you're tired Elaine!

You all got me to thinking about Dec. I've had some really, really bad Decembers (my mom died Dec 13) but that wasn't even the worst one and some really, really good Decembers! I've decided I'm going to focus on those good ones! I got to thinking what made the good ones so special. One of the best was when I was single and and living alone. I planned to spend Christmas day with my parents and then we were going to have our big family get together a few days after Christmas. So rather than just sitting home alone on Christmas eve I decided to have a party! I invited a bunch of friends that I knew were going to be in the same situation as me. They would be alone on Christmas eve. It was a real mixed group of people. One lady brought her mother that could barely walk. I didn't think she was ever going to make it from the car into the house!! She was also almost deaf and couldn't join in any conversation because she couldn't hear. I felt so sorry for her just sitting there with everyone having a good time all around her. She was just sitting almost comatose! I still had Jeff's piano at the time and I had made copies of a bunch of Christmas carols and one lady knew how to play the piano. So after we finished eating she starting playing the piano and we joined in singing. All of a sudden the little old lady came alive and starting just singing away!!! She could feel the beat of the music! I will never forget the look on that ladies face and the reaction all the others had when she started singing! It made me feel so good that I had made the effort to bring us all together. The essences of what Christmas is all about! I gave her a special gift and it taught me a big lesson! One of the other really good Christmases was one that Richard and I spent at the Greenbrier in W. Virginia with another couple. A really magical Christmas. But that Christmas eve party is the one that always comes to mind when I start thinking about the past.
So I've decided to focus on the good and try to put the bad behind me!

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Charlotte, that is a lovely story about the Christmas Eve party you had. Thanks for sharing it. :o)

My thoughts and prayers are with all of those affected by this terrible tragedy in Connecticut today.

Charlotte, Thank you for the information. I am not alarmed and I do take Al's health quite seriously. Since he is diabetic, I watch his diet carefully and I remind him to prick his finger every morning if he forgets. I keep a close watch on his "numbers". I have lost one husband and don't want to lose another one. Oh, I know we will both leave this earthly body some day but I am going to do my best to see to it that we do our part in keeping ourselves healthy. We both hope to be together for many years. :) I have no doubt that the cardiologist would not have ordered the stress test if he didn't think it was necessary. Al doesn't seem to mind having to go through that procedure. However, I have been the recipient of one doctor's well-meaning but wrong decision which nearly killed me back in 2003 and I'm not ever going through that again if I have anything to say about it. (I could probably have sued him but chose not to do so). I was just saying that as far as a stress test is concerned for myself, I would tell them to find another way to find out what they need to know. Taking someone to the "edge of a heart attack" is not my personal idea of a good way to find out what they want to know. I would rather have an angiogram than to have a stress test. Personally, I don't want to have to go through either of those procedures and I thank God that I haven't been required to go through them as yet! :o)

Elaine: too bad your trip to England was mostly work and not much play. The weather probably didn't help matters, either. :o~

This message was edited Dec 14, 2012 9:05 PM

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Marilyn, a lot of doctors do order an angiogram periodically instead of a stress test because the info is absolute in an angiogram.... but they can usually obtain basic info from the stress test. But, we wish him well with it when the time comes! The heart doctor I saw last year did an angiogram on me because he wanted to be able to SEE what he was dealing with. The procedure has come a long way and he went in thru my right wrist and it was basically painless.... and I had little to no bleeding afterward.

Jeri, I am so sorry to hear that they didn't find anything - I guess the no blockage is good. I just hate that they still don't have any answers, and more importantly I hate that she is still miserable! I sure hope they get her some relief SOON!

Elaine, it sure sounds exciting to spend two weeks in London! But then I have never been out of the country, other than one night in Canada many, many years ago. So, any trip out of the country sounds fun to me! :)

The tragedy in Connecticut is so pitiful...... I agree it just makes you want to grab your kids and not let go! I am sure many of you have heard about the tragic killing in Arkadelphia last week (the city where the kids go to college). They have arrested a 19 yr old guy in connection with killing a man and his two step daughters in their home. The girls were 4 and 6. I have a friend who knows the Dad and his family - and they held a visitation in Fordyce for their family and friends, then held a second visitation in Arkadelphia for the Mom and her family....... she said the family was so distraught because 24 hrs later and the kids would have been with their dad and would not have been in that house!! It is just sooo sad. The Mom came home from somewhere and FOUND the girls dead..... I can not imagine such a horrifying event! So sick!

Kyle and Jessi finished up there finals today. They both had chemistry at 7 a.m. .... lol Jessica said it was still dark while she was walking across campus. Kyle nailed his and made a 98 on it! So, he ended up with an A. Jessica didn't do as well, and ended up with a B in the class, but we think she will end up with As in everything else. Grades haven't posted in all classes yet so she can't be sure until then. Kyle should have all As - so it has been a good semester! This is the first B Jessica has EVER made, so it is a big adjustment! But, I think it might actually be a stress reliever in that she doesn't feel like she has to battle to keep that 4.0 now...... We transferred in 21 hrs of classes from the local jr college of all As that she got for classes taken during school or concurrent credit, so that will help distribute that B some and not effect her gpa as bad. I think that next semester will be a lot easier for her as she has a better idea what to expect and how to deal with her study habits. I am excited to have them home for a while! I even cooked supper! LOL .....

Genna

Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Elaine I wish I could have been in your pocket going to England . I have always wanted to go.

Boy that has really been tragic about the schoolhouse shootings. We are at the camp so had not heard the news until after hunting this afternoon,

Marilyn y' all really stay on the move.

Charlotte I loved your story

Sandra I forgot to say congrats on the new chair.

I'm going to mass Sunday night with the kids. they are going to have caroling.
Also going to get my new dog Sunday . Should be an exciting week to come.

Well I killed a nice buck this afternoon . John Paul our 4 yr old was on his way to the camp from monroe with Uncle Brandon when his daddy text them a picture of my deer. Brandon nearly drove off the road when John Paul saw the picture and said I didn't know Nona could shoot a gun, she is old !!!

Got a couple good shots of a Pileated woodpecker today and a northern flicker

Thumbnail by Riverland Thumbnail by Riverland Thumbnail by Riverland Thumbnail by Riverland
Northeast, LA(Zone 8a)

Genna you tell Jess you gotta fall down sometimes to remember what it's like to climb back up. Congratulations to all your children on their accomplishments. I' m sure all the new will be off next semester and she will ace it all again. I'm sure all the uncertainty with Leigh's job is weighting on all the kids minds but more hers. Girls worry about their dads.

Cindy, that is a beautiful rack on that deer! Worth the wait I'm sure and proud of you! That's funny what John Paul said! And loved the bird photos too.

Charlotte, I loved your story about 'Decembers' and your party. You are right...you can never tell when some small act will make a huge difference in another person's life. And what a wonderful memory.

Genna, I know you're proud of the kids! Jess will be fine; that first semester is always the hardest, IMO, on the kids, especially with the adjustments to be made and Cindy is right.

You all should try to go to London sometime. It really is a wonderful city and easy to get around. It's probably the best place to start for an overseas visit since you don't have to worry about another language.

Ripley, MS

Cindy, looks like you got that new gun under control now--you look really good in the picture, it does my heart good just to know you feel like hunting again ! Terrye called last night and asked me a good place to eat in Ripley ? I told her there wasn't any, she had forgotten the day we looked everywhere for something to eat !!
Charlotte, what a wonderful memory, sometimes that whisper that God puts in our ear turns out to show us marvelous things, other times we never see the benefit of it. Just think of all the things He will show us that came from something we did when we get th Heaven !
I guess I am the odd man out on traveling, I really like the USA and think I will be happy to stay here. I will enjoy looking at others pictures and hearing their stories, Let us know when you get some pictures posted.

Ripley, MS

Cindy, Jerry just got up and said the deer you killed looks better than the one you missed !

North Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I have been watching but not posting lately...I am trying to keep up. I had hoped to be less busy after the first of the year but I am certain that will not happen. Anyway, I had to share my news. As most of you know, I was diagnosed with diabetes in April with an average blood sugar of 340! 3 months later, my blood sugar was an average of 140! I went to the doctor yesterday my average was 105! I started crying, the staff was congratulating me and we all hugged. I am certain that all other patients thought I just found out I was pregnant! LOL The doctor was going to reduce my meds but we decided to stay the course, so I can eat a little while in Hawaii, in February.

I love you all and miss you!

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Kim that is terrific news!!! All your hard work has paid off! You did it girl!!!

Cindy I agree with Sandra you look really good in the picture! You look happy! Well of course you had just shot a big buck!! But it looks to be more than just that.

Genna, Jessi will be fine. She probably is a little unnerved with her dad's job situation.

Sarah and I went hiking this morning with our hiking group. We did an in town hike at Burns Park. It had rained really hard last night and was still a little damp when we started out so we took a different trail than the one we had planned to hike on. We took one on higher ground. Since they were not as familiar with it we ended up getting lost and taking much longer to get back to where we had parked our cars. But it was good for us!! We needed the exercise! I think all of us were just not paying attention to the markers and I think we'll do a better job next time!

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Cindy that is an awesome buck! Kyle was shocked at how large it was!! :) He went duck hunting this morning and this afternoon - got a mallard hen on the fly at 40 yds so he was really happy!

No worries here about Jess .... I had really HOPED she would pull a 4.0 this first semester, but I am not upset that she didn't. I just mainly wanted her to know that she COULD. I think she knows that now, and has her study habits down - I hope..... ^_^ She is taking hard courses and had a full 17 hours, I think she did well considering. I do think she worries more too as you say....

Charlotte, sounds like ya'll had a nice hike! I enjoyed your Christmas story..... we did that a few years ago when I was feeling really sorry for myself because Christmas Eve was always a BIG deal when my parents were living...... since my brothers don't speak to my sister or I now, it has REALLY changed Christmas and even my sister's family comes on a day before Christmas eve so it just isn't the same..... so that year I decided instead of sitting around having a pity party, I would host dinner for some elderly people in our church with little to no family. I ended up having to take dinner to them, but at least there were 3 in one assisted living facility and we had it there. It was so much fun! made the holiday special for all of us! I really need to consider doing that again........... one of those ladies is no longer living, and one is no longer in this area, but I am sure there are others who are in need of someone to visit close to Christmas!

I have been awake since 4 - not by choice..... about couldn't wake up the past two days when I had to get up to go to work, but since I could sleep in today - I woke up at 4. Was still wide awake when Kyle's alarm went off at 5 to go hunting so I just got up and got busy. Cleaned up the kitchen, cleaned up some Christmas boxes, wrapped a ton of presents, and cooked pancakes for Kyle and his two hunting buddies...... Now if I could just get all the wrapping mess cleaned up and put away! maybe tomorrow. I think I am about to head to bed....been a LONG day!

Elaine, I wouldn't mind going to London, but I would really love to go to Ireland and Scotland...... plus several other places! ^_^ but then I love to travel. I want one of those jobs where they pay you to travel around the world and stay in fancy hotels and eat at restaurants and write reviews for the Sunday paper........not sure how you get a job like that! LOL

Sandra, you have that chair broke in yet? I know you are enjoying it!!

Congratulations on those great numbers Kim! Awesome job! So proud for you! I know you are looking forward to your trip too!

Hope everyone has a good night.... I think I am calling it a night!

Ripley, MS

Kim, I am so happy for you, I need to work hard on my sugar, but I am allowing myself holiday goodies, I always do better if I do, when I feel deprived I wind up overheating all the leftovers and make even more goodies on New Years. I will get back on track in Jan ! We all have to learn our weaknesses and how to deal with them, and it sounds like you have pretty well come to terms with it !

My sister Pat lived several years in Memphis, lots of her husbands family lived there then and one of them wound up in intensive care, can't really remember why or who, but it was near the holidays. She cooked some goodies and went back to that ICU waiting room on Christmas Eve that year and passed them out to the family members in the waiting room. Her relative was out then and everyone there was a stranger to her, but she said it was a wonderful experience for her.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

That's a good example Sandra. I think we have to create our own traditions and those even keep changing. My first really bad Dec was when I was in the 6th grade. My grandfather died of a heart attack at only 59 earlier in the year. My grandmother decided to live for a while with an unmarried aunt. She lived in the country and I think her daughters were concerned about her living there alone. But anyway that Christmas we all went back to my grandparents house like we had always done. I'll never forget that Christmas. The house was cold, everyone was very sad, there was a lot of crying, no real happiness - nothing like the Christmases before. They never went back there for Christmas, although my grandmother moved back into her house and continued to live there until she died.

Christmas eve was also a very special time for my DIL. How she celebrates Christmas eve has changed over the years due to deaths, and living over 2,000 miles from her sister. Her dad was a minister and he always held a midnight candle light service on Christmas eve. Her family would have their main Christmas meal on Christmas eve and then go to church.

So with her own family she created her own family traditions. Christmas eve is still the main Christmas meal. Their church has a candle light service but it is usually about 5 pm. We always go to the candle light service at church. Then we we get home we have hor d vouers (cocktail shrimp, cheese balls, etc) then we have dinner which is always chiopina (a very heavy seafood soup). The kids say prayers at dinner. Then my son builds a fire in the fireplace (the only time they ever use it) and we all sit around together after dinner. We will usually watch a Christmas movie together. When the boys were little she would always read the story of Jesus to them before we had dinner. It's not a night for presents. It's a night to concentrate on the birth of Jesus and to be with family.

All presents are opened on Christmas day and it's just a day to lounge around and let the kids enjoy whatever they got for Christmas. Since I've starting going out there I cook a tradition Christmas meal. That's my contribution to tradition.

Ripley, MS

The California Christmas sounds so lovely, life is ever changing, we can make some changer ourself, and fondly remember the good past.

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

You are so right Sandra. The one thing that is certain in life is change! It's how we deal with it that determines our happiness and well being.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

For sure! Charlotte, it sounds like they have a nice tradition going in California. I know Jessi and Kyle are all wondering how this year will affect all our traditions, etc with Alex and Natalie. I am pretty flexible - to me it doesn't matter which day as long as we are all together. I know next year Alex will have rotations - and no telling what his schedule will be. Then when he gets into residency, I am fairly sure he will not be home for Christmas...... I am trying to enjoy it as we go, and we will work out the details as we need to change our routine. When my family comes over, we always start with the youngest and they open their gifts first - then we go one person at a time until we get to the oldest. My Dad was the oldest for years of course after we started this tradition - and it was really hard the first time we had Christmas without him there fussing that he wanted to start with the oldest first! :) Now my sister is the oldest, she is a couple months older than my BIL............so she has to go last.... and she is always telling the kids we are going in reverse order too....but of course we never do. I don't remember when we started that tradition, but it was after my siblings married and started having kids and it was difficult to see what everyone got for Christmas with everyone opening at once, so we started doing it like that. We just all wanted to enjoy seeing the little kids opening their gifts! At my SIL's we usually go around the room and open one gift at a time but not in any particular order....... we usually do the same thing when it is just Leigh and I and the kids.... we go in some type of order - often reverse age, but just open one at a time and then start over down the list again. We always enjoy the time together and eat way too much and to me, just having everyone together, is the best gift ever!!

After we spent 7 weeks in ICU with my Mom, my sister started collecting little bottles of shampoo, soap, conditioner, lotion etc. Anytime she would travel she would pick up the extras in the hotel room, and she purchased a few here and there as she shopped. Then she would make up little baggies and on a trip to LR for the doctor or whatever , she would take by this bundle of baggies of soap, etc for the people who had family in ICU and were basically living there. She would leave them at the desk and the lady would distribute them as needed. I thought that was a neat idea.... love the idea of baking Christmas goodies to take up there as well! The hospital is no place to be on the holidays!

There was a woman killed in our small community on Friday. I don't know many details except that she lived in a mobile home and was on the phone with a friend when she asked the friend to call 911 because she thought someone was breaking into her house. By the time police got there, her trailer was on fire and she was dead. They are calling it a murder - but they haven't said yet what was done to her....whether she was shot or stabbed or burned to death. So far, I don't think they have arrested anyone either. Please be in prayer for our community and pray they find whoever did this quickly. I didn't even know about it until this morning! Seems to be so much tragedy filling the news ....................

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

I have really enjoyed reading everyones traditions!!! Our traditions are pretty relaxed here I guess this year, Jim may not even be here. He is running mobile homes from a factory in Indiana to Cumberland, Md. to a staging area for FEMA to pull out to the Hurricane Sandy victims. He is doing that this week and then he is suppose to go to Mn. and load out to go to ND. His boss, Mr. Tom had a stroke yesterday so if Yall would lift him and his family up, I sure would appreciate it. They got him to the hospital immediately but there does appear to be some damage. Of course, with prayers and some physical therapy I know he will be back to his old self soon. The co. is run by his entire family so I know how hard it is on them right now.

Ashley made it to school today!!! Hallelujah!!! She said her stomach hurt all day but she made the day. Mid-term testing starts Wed. with 1/2 days for the rest of the week. We had already printed the study guides and started to work on some of them but there is even still more to do.

So much for catch up here at the house, Cameron(DGS) was in Hammond and called wanting us to have lunch and then bring him back to my house for a few days. I guess there is always tomorrow.

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

That is so sad, Genna. As you said, there is so much tragedy filling the news. . .:o((

We went to Benton, AR over the week-end to celebrate Christmas with Michelle #2 and Michelle#3 and their families. For the information of anyone who doesn't already know, I say that I have 3 daughters named Michelle. Michelle #1 is my biological daughter. The other two Michelles are special friends who are as close as daughters to me. :o) Michelle#3 had everyone over to her house last night. There were 19 people there so Michelle #3 had everyone's name written on a piece of paper and put all the names in a basket. She drew the first name and that person got to open a gift. The first person drew the next name and so on until everybody had opened at least one gift, then we started over, with the last one who opened a gift being the first one to open a gift during the second round. After the 2nd round, it was a free-for-all with everybody opening the rest of their gifts. LOL It was more organized this way than it has been in years past with everybody opening their gifts all at the same time. We had too much good food as well as lots of good fellowship and a waaaay noisy bunch of fun!! :o))

It's fun hearing about everyone's traditions. This year will be a couple of "firsts" for me--my first Christmas with Al and my first Christmas with his family. We will be traveling to St. Louis on Christmas day, which is a 5 hour drive for us. I have never traveled on Christmas day before except for a short 30 minutes to an hour's drive to a relative's house for Christmas dinner.

Jeri: we crossed--so sorry to hear about Jim's boss. Prayers for him!
So glad that Ashley made it back to school!! Hooray!!
Sure hope Jim will be able to make it home to spend a few days with you during the holidays!

This message was edited Dec 17, 2012 8:44 PM

With a couple of hard-working nurses in our family, we have to be flexible these days depending on their days off. This year they both are off on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, but we try to do something as a big family on a day other than Christmas Day so they can be together with their little ones. I know it's hard since our 2 sons are in Birmingham, so we have tried to be flexible around both Thanksgiving and Christmas and give each one time to spend with the other set of parents too. It's worked out fine every year. This year they are coming to our house on Christmas Eve for a big lunch and opening gifts at our house and then can get home that evening and get the kids to bed. The youngest is now 5 so it's not so awful to get everyone home and to bed anymore as it was when they were babies.

Genna, that is a really sad story and I hope they figure it out soon. I heard from a good friend last week. Her son is finishing her residency in Kansas and will be moving to Enterprise, AL where his wife is from. He is a surgeon and she is a pediatrician (already finished her residency) and now they will be only about 5 hours from my friend, so she is thrilled she will get to see her family, including a grand-daughter, more often. Alex will be there before you know it, but you will be so proud!

Jeri, glad Ashley made it back to school and hope she will feel good soon!

I'm finally catching up...sort of. Wrapped a bunch of gifts last night and have most of that done now. Will finish it tonight and clean it all up I hope! I didn't get Christmas cards out this year and only put out about a third of the decorations I normally do, but I just couldn't get to it. I'm really not worried about it anymore. Only have a couple of gift cards I think I will purchase and will call it done.

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Jeri, that is GREAT that Ashley made a full day of school! Awesome! I sure wish her luck on those tests....I know she has missed so much school. It must be really hard to keep up with everything!

Marilyn, sounds like ya'll had a great time in Benton! I like that idea about drawing names out of a hat for the order too. :) I just love getting together with family and friends and whatever is fine with me! But, I do enjoy getting to see others open their gifts and enjoy it instead of like we used to do when everybody opened at once and no one knew what anyone got and we missed all the wide eyed wonder of the little ones seeing what was inside. But, I will say, it drags it out and by the time we get to the last few adults the little ones are not paying attention at all....but then I don't guess that matters either. When they were really little, they would help most of the adults open too so they had a big time!

I want my kids to happy , but i sure hope they are somewhat close so that at least i can go visit(and hopefully spoil grandkids!)...............although I don't really expect them to be! I know that Alex and Kyle would LOVE to live in Colorado - and that is a LONG way away! :) Oh well, never know what is in store, but I am trying to enjoy every minute along the way. No telling where we might end up either with Leigh's job situation - so we just wait and see. One possibility is Batesville - and although we would both love to move up that way, I have NO idea what I would do for a living in that area. Just trying hard to keep the faith and pray that God will show us what He wants us to do.

I finally got the Christmas wrapping mess put away last night...... Kyle had two boys come spend the night last night so they could leave at 2:30 this morning going duck hunting, so I had motivation to get up the mess! I haven't gotten cards done either - but I have sure wanted to - not looking good though! :) I put up one less tree and a lot less decorations than usual. It was weird, I got my presents bought early and a bunch wrapped early - then the tree up..................and hit a snag. Just couldn't seem to get it decorated in a timely manner or anything else put out! At this point, we are having everyone over on Sunday and what's up is up and I am not taking anything else out.

Hope everyone has a great day!
Genna

Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Genna: I think the not knowing is the worst part. Once you actually KNOW where you and Leigh will be moving to, if you move at all, then you can make the adjustments necessary for such a move. You are correct in trusting the Lord to lead and guide you, no matter what comes your way.
((((((((((((((((((Genna)))))))))))))))))

Our weather is really nice and unseasonably warm--in the 60's for highs with lots of sunshine. This will change tomorrow and we even have light snow predicted for Thursday morning! I don't mind snow for a day or two but it can go away after that! LOL

Camden, AR(Zone 8a)

Thanks Marilyn. Most days I do pretty good..... then other days not so good. Guess that is normal. I am with you on the snow! It is beautiful, and I don't mind it as long as I don't have to get out in it - as in drive to work, etc. You will have such beautiful scenery at your place if it does snow!

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Genna when will Leigh know for sure where or if they are going to transfer him somewhere. Like Marilyn said I know that when you find out that will take a lot of the uncertainty away. Batesville is a nice little college town. You know that's where Loretta lives. She was concerned about the company she works for and her job for a while but they were bought out and now she says the new owners are blowing and going and planning a big expansion. I would think there would actually be more opportunity for you there than in Camden. It is important to keep a strong faith!!

As much as we would like to keep our kids close by it is important that they spread their wings and do what they want in life! My son basically left home when he started to college. He was in Fayetteville which was about a 4 1/2 hour drive at that time. Then straight from college he went to work in Fort Worth. He was offered a very good job in Little Rock. It would have made me very happy but it was just not what he wanted to do. Like your sons Genna I think he just wanted to explore somewhere different and do something more exciting than the opportunities in LR. Then from Dallas they decided to move all the way to California. But I think I know my grandkids and am just as close to them as a lot of people that have their kids and grandkids in state. It just takes a little effort on your part and gives you a place to visit!!LOL My oldest grandson (will be 20 in March!!) is coming the 12 of Jan to spend a week with me although I'll be spending Christmas with them. He didn't get to come this summer because of his summer job but he has a really long Christmas break and wants to come. He calls me every other Sun afternoon and talks for almost an hour! Technology today sure makes it easier!!

The twins and I stay in touch a lot also and they keep up with all my activities which I think they sometimes find amusing!

When my parents had to move to Houston my mother was devastated! But she learned to get out of her comfort zone and do things she had never done before and found new things she enjoyed! Not having sisters around to spend her time with she developed a bigger circle of friends than she had ever had. She even ventured out on the interstate (even through it was just a very short distance). She had never driven any where but just around town before but she picked up an elderly lady to take to a ladies bible class every week and the only way she could get to her house was to get out on the interstate. So she did it! I couldn't believe it when I found out.

Just have faith that God knows what he is doing!!

Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

I was just outside and discovered my forthysia blooming!!!

Thumbnail by cperdue
Isabella, MO(Zone 6b)

Charlotte: good advice and encouragement for Genna!! This crazy weather has the flowers doing all sorts of strange things. I still have petunias in pots on the covered section of the back porch that are still hanging in there! This week will most likely finish them off, though. It is already getting colder here this afternoon and we have a dusting of snow predicted for tomorrow morning. A fire will feel good tonight!

(karen) Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Just wanted to share something cute - I kept my son's girls last night and one of the twins asked for some medicine at bedtime. When I asked her why she said "Well I've been 'blessyouing' all night" We finally figured out that she had been sneezing - apparently that is bless-you-ing to her. How cute!

Hope all you guys have a great Holiday!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.