putting in a vegetable garden

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

i've wanted to extend my garden area for quite a few years now but kept putting it off for one reason or another. then this past spring/summer, the neighbor put in a huge vegetable garden, his first try. i was called on to turn sprinklers on when they were out of town on weekends and naturally, i was given free rein to pick anything i wanted. i had such a blast doing it that i decided that my extension would be devoted to edibles.

we have a circle driveway and the middle of the circle is my garden. the plan in my head was to inch my way out in this half moon shape until the entire circle was pathways and plants....so here is what i've accomplished since november 11. i sprayed round-up in october over the area i'd be working in.

first i laid out 30 lb. felt (rolled roofing) for a weed blocker and then laid my stepping stones. a double row of block was put down on top of the felt to the right of the stones. thank you, john.
i used a bag of pea gravel to fill in between the stepping stones.
then i painted the inside lower row and the outside upper row with a flat black.
there is a method to my madness as you'll see in the next post.

Thumbnail by trackinsand Thumbnail by trackinsand Thumbnail by trackinsand Thumbnail by trackinsand Thumbnail by trackinsand
This thread has 66 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!