Sage caterpillar ID ?

Barling, AR(Zone 7b)

This lovely caterpillar was hiding on a Sage, Salvia greggii, at Linnaeus Teaching Garden in Tulsa, OK on Aug 30, 2012. Is this a moth or butterfly cat?

Thumbnail by C_A_Ivy Thumbnail by C_A_Ivy Thumbnail by C_A_Ivy
Houston Heights, TX(Zone 9a)

http://somethingscrawlinginmyhair.com/2009/09/19/angulose-prominent-caterpillar/ Look at this photo and see if it is your caterpillar. It was interesting to see how caterpillars can become pink...by eating Oak leaves that have fall color. I also read somewhere that some green cats turn pink just before pupation. I think it was one of the polyphemous moths.

This message was edited Dec 2, 2012 6:06 AM

Barling, AR(Zone 7b)

steadycam3, thanks for the resource. looks simillar but some differences.

Edinburg, TX

Moth...but which species is hard to tell. Definitely not Polyphemus. Am leaning towards a pesky species. Many moths uses a myriad of larval hosts so it's hard to pin them down if they're not the big popular species like the sphinx or saturnids. Might try flipping through Wagner's moths of North America book. Sorry could be more helpful...you could raise it :o)

Barling, AR(Zone 7b)

Quote from TexasPuddyPrint :
Moth...but which species is hard to tell. Definitely not Polyphemus. Am leaning towards a pesky species. Many moths uses a myriad of larval hosts so it's hard to pin them down if they're not the big popular species like the sphinx or saturnids. Might try flipping through Wagner's moths of North America book. Sorry could be more helpful...you could raise it :o)

Thanks. Next time I will try to raise it and see what I get.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.