Rawlings Conservatory Annual Poinsettia Show

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

That time of year again----any interest in forming a group to go?
This place is amazing--if you have not been there.
Not saying I want to organize it--but Holly and Ric usually like to go.

Rawlings Conservatory will be covered in Poinsettias. A real Fantasy Land.
A different "Theme" every year.
Besides--you may be able to pick up some unusual plants from their sales tables.
Theyu propagate--and they sell them.

Hope you can make the trip--it is worth it.

See attached first picture for flyer.

Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Is anyone interested in an ad hoc get together? An ice storm sort of quashed the last attempt to visit Rawlings and do lunch, however, I think we may have had 7 brave (crazy) souls make it. Rawlings isn't big (possibly an hour and a half tops) and donations of $5 are requested. We haven't been to inner harbor in awhile, but are open to suggestions for lunch. Ric

Response is all over the calendar, so we will plan to be there at 11am on Friday the 14th. We will have at least 4 in our party, possibly 5. Anyone who can join is welcome. See you there. Ric & Holly

This message was edited Dec 4, 2012 9:26 AM

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I just sent Paul ("terp") the link to this page. Maybe he can bring along some friends?
I do know he will be out of town the weekend of 12/15 and 12/16.

I am willing to go if it is on Saturday. -Sunday, Dec. 16th. I will be in VA for a family get-together.
Otherwise--I always work on Sundays anyway--9-6.

Please do not alter any get-together plans just because of me. Not too many people work on Sundays...:o(

I will keep checking in here and see what is developing....

Gita
The Palm House.....Rose Poinsettia...

Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal
Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I can't make it this weekend (last bit of good weather and I HAVE to get more plants planted).
I can't make it next weekend (going to Florida to work on closing down my FIL's house).
That leaves the 17th, which is pretty darned close to Christmas and I haven't started our preparations yet.

Any interest in January? There's usually less going on then. But maybe their holiday display will be over by then....

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

I can't go unless it is the first weekend.

It does look very interesting. Is admission free? What kind of plants do they have for sale?

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Mark and I would come along- almost anytime! We have work on Tues, Wed and Thurs but the rest of our weeks and weekends are usually free.
Last year we went to a fun restaurant in the Hamden area of Baltimore- I'll have to look it up, (Golden West?) or see what else might be around. I haven't been around the Inner Harbor in ages. Not sure what's around. YELP worked well for us to find that other place.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Well--I can't make it either--unless it is the 1st weekend. And--that would be next weekend.....

There is a $5 donation requested. This place is run by a few paid people and a bunch of volunteers.
They do the most work.

Well---I got my first Brazilian Plume flower there as a newly rooted plant....
Selling plants is a sort of a fundraiser there.
They have a "working" type of greenhouses where they propagate stuff and plant stuff.
Then they sell the plants.

I donated my 1st HUGE Ric Rac Cactus to them as it grew too large for my house.
It happily resides on a rocky ledge in the Mediterranian House.

If you cannot make it to this Show--they hold two others during the year.
The Spring Bulb Show and the fall Mum Show.
It is an amazing place to visit. They have 4 Greenhouses---
--The Mediterranean House
--The Tropical House
--The Cactus House
--The Orchid Room
--and-- the original structure from the 1800 hundreds--the 5 story Palm House--ALL glass!

They have amazingly landscaped gardens planted with beautiful plants and bulbs.
Weddings are held here--and also all kinds of other functions and workshops.

It is in Druid Hill park next to the Baltimore Zoo. Very close to Inner harbor to fill the rest of the day...

Are you sold yet???? G.

Spring Show

Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

More pictures from a Spring Show. Year???

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Fall Mum Show--2007.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks for posting all the pics Gita. I still haven't sorted ours out of our ebook from when our laptop got fried.
Unless we actually go on the 8th perhaps a week day would work for the rest of us.
There are a couple of postings about this here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=9344843. Ric

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Holly--

It seemed like a good idea--but the days are getting short with free time.
I have 2 huge cooking/baking things to do--and the weekend days are fast filling up with other thigs.
Our Hd Christmas party (12/9)--work full day and then the party.
My family X-mas trip to VA (12/16). There goes that day.
Gift shopping and wrapping and mailing.....

Seems that it will be hard to make the Rawlings....but if a group forms--
I will try to do my best.

Gita

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

I could go the 16th if I help pay for the gas & bum aride. LMK & thanks. Judy.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Response is all over the calendar, so we will plan to be there at 11am on Friday the 14th. We will have at least 4 in our party, possibly 5. Anyone who can join is welcome. See you there. Ric & Holly

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Sorry I didn't post earlier... still juggling December plans, here... not sure the 14th will work (possible skating recital to attend that day), but it's still on my radar.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Afraid that Ric and I won't be able to make it this week. We both got sick last weekend, I got very sick and still am not up to doing much but move from couch to bed. Ric has been keeping the home fires burning and taking care of necessaries, but he's not setting the world on fire either. Getting better each day but very behind on cleaning and decorating. So I am thinking even if I am good enough to go I will need to use that energy here at home.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

ugh, Holly... get all better faster, both of you! sorry you caught the crud.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Feel better Holly! I will admit I am kinda busy too and probably have enough to do. I signed up to donate blood Friday, then need to get in line at Rheb's and buy chocolate. My aunt says it is THE best buttercream in the world and she has tried a lot of chocolate.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.