Brugmansia Australia

NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Hi all. New thread. We came from here... ... ...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1286121/

First bloom on 'Old Apricot' x 'Fernando'. Seed supplied by Allan Little, grown here at "Flora" by me.
The bloom is approximately 300 mm in length. I cannot detect any fragrance.
So far, P&D resistant, despite broad mites attacking other ne...
w seedlings nearby.
I am hoping for the generous and recurrent flushes of the pod parent 'Old Apricot'. Already this plant seems to have inherited OA's "healthiness".
From 'Fernando', double blooms - dropped skirt as opposed to a tightly gathered inner corolla.
Thank you Allan for the seed, I will post "Y" cuttings up to you after blooming.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Today the "lips" turned up! Will post pics later - have to dash, family over soon for lunch.
W.

Thanks Wayne ...can't wait to see the upturned petal tips ! lovely.
I hope you had a lovely lunch with the family.

Poor Jean has lost her internet due to fire down her way, poor thing.
Thanks for letting us know Dianne.

It's been very hot here ...I am glad I took those pics this morning, oh well.
Our thoughts are with our Southern friends suffering fire problems.

Can't wait for the Sun to sink so I can go back outside.

chrissy

Thumbnail by
Clifton Springs, Australia

Wayne and Allan, congrats on that lovely white double....I hope it's skirts stay separate...
Looking forward to the next pics...
I have the same cross putting it's first buds on now.....

The seed from the PPfasc x Bruce's Pink will be sent on Monday....good luck, they should produce something pretty.....

This is the first Knightii for the season, quite different from the norm...a very pretty shape and have a look at the second skirt...very pointy and it's been tucked up inside for 3 days....funny little thing...

Dianne

Thumbnail by Seachanger Thumbnail by Seachanger Thumbnail by Seachanger
NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Good luck Dianne, and thank you for your comment. I will post some pics later.

Poor Jean. I hope that things get sorted.

Here are some pics of 'Pink Champagne' - 'Bucks Fizz' x noid.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter Thumbnail by WayneCarter Thumbnail by WayneCarter Thumbnail by WayneCarter

What a beauty Wayne !

Any more pics of your double white ?

The big heat is heading this way today ...so batten down the hatches ...frizzle alert !
Protect those baby brugs ...they need shade (the little ones). The large ones may lose leaves, once they get up near 40C.

Off to do stuff before it gets too hot.

One month until Christmas ! YIKES !
Enjoy your Sunday everyone.

chrissy

NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Two more pics of the double white ('Old Apricot' x 'Fernando') taken this morning.
The tube has coloured slightly - apricot.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter Thumbnail by WayneCarter

Too hot now ...Wayne that is very exciting, we may have our first Aussie double Apricot ! ^_^
Congrats Wayne & Allan ! well done !
I am very much looking forward to my Fernando seedlings blooming, that will be a year away for me.

Looking forward to the Big Brug explosion to come here in Australia.
I know the future of Brugs are in safe hands out there,
couldn't be more proud of all of you.

chrissy

Croydon, Australia(Zone 9a)

WOW what to say about this one getting prettier Day by day and the apricots coming through on the double is Amazing
Can't wait for another pic in a day or to to see the true color
Congrats Allan & Wayne

NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Thanks Shaun.

We might have a new member joining us... Maurice from Victoria!
So let's hope all works out and he can connect here. Maurice has years of experience in growing Brugs and has produced some lovely cultivars.
W.

Wow another Brug Nut ...Wayne that would be terrific !
Tell Maurice not to be shy, love to meet him here.

Well we almost cooked today 37C whew !, 41C next Sunday ARGH !!!!
Stay cool everyone ! I will have to give in and put the fan on. ^_^

chrissy

Yes another Brug Nut will be great and from Vic even better. We are all crazy for new members and they are welcome as chrissy said DONT BE SHY we all started out being new to DG
tho many have been growing for many years we all are still learning with new tricks and tips coming throw every weeks form 1 place or another

So WELCOME MAURICE when you get here

Korumburra, Australia

I have been shamed into this. I will attempt to remain humble on recept of your accolades Mavrice. I have messed up the pics try harder next time

Thumbnail by mavrice Thumbnail by mavrice Thumbnail by mavrice Thumbnail by mavrice Thumbnail by mavrice

Wow ! and welcome Maurice ...that is a stunning Brug, do you happen to know the cross ?
Love love love it ! ^_^

chrissy

WELCOME Maurice
What a lovely Brugmansia it sure has aurea about it
And about messing up pics we do it all the time hahahahah

Nothing wrong with those pictures (yes we mess up all the time) ...great to see another Victorian grower here isn't it.

chrissy

Korumburra, Australia

The pod was my clementine and the pollen was aurea (goldenes Kornett) I have a ttemporary sight impairment so allow for erros

Thumbnail by mavrice Thumbnail by mavrice Thumbnail by mavrice Thumbnail by mavrice Thumbnail by mavrice
Korumburra, Australia

Another error, at least you were warned, correct picture attached. m

Thumbnail by mavrice

Maurice thats all ok you will get it soon we all buggered up at the start tryiing to get certin pics on and finding that it was the wrong on

may i ask you about your goldenes Kornett we dont have this plant in Australia but we have many aurea's depending where you obtained it depends what it could be called ie: aurea(form) , GHA ect i have about 14 aurea type varieties and the largest gathering so far looking to find out what is related or not by crossing them with each other
it would be very interesting to find that you could have a different one to all of ours but its pretty like your cross very nice indeed

NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Hi Maurice, glad that you found your way here! You are in good company - everyone here is a learner and always helpful.
Your pics are great, congratulations on your plants.
W.

Good morning everyone.

Yes the frizzles out there ...too too hot yesterday, limp toasted blooms.
That is the way of it in this kind of weather.

I hope some of the gardens escaped it.
How did yours fair ?

chrissy

Clifton Springs, Australia

Hi Maurice, welcome....

Your Clementine cross looks lovely, does it have the Clementine fragrance or is it an aurea perfume?....
Nice to see a yellow/apricot double.
We will be looking forward to all of your crosses, etc....
Have you looked at BGI yet?
http://www.brugmansia.us/index.html

Not hot here Chrissy.....only 22C

Dianne.

It was awfully hot today, but we have had a rolling storm in the last couple of hours.
heavy rain and lots of big rumbles and such.
very welcome indeed !

chrissy

The weatherman told us that it will be 39C to 40C in the city come Friday (Sydney) Nooooooo!
Add 5C to that for our area. Hermit time for me, can't do that kind of heat.
Time to dig out Huanduj.

I forgot to say the Clementine x Aurea Cross is a great cross, (so glad 'The Chief' ...Genes are living on ).
Thankyou so very much for showing and sharing that info Maurice.

chrissy

Thumbnail by Thumbnail by
Korumburra, Australia

I put away a few oddds & sods away last autumn to clean up some beds and have not been checking with this eye problem. There was this plant, on of the miniature, and the only one to have a canopy, with a blossom onit. Imagine my surprise when I lifted it up and saw this

Maurice

Thumbnail by mavrice Thumbnail by mavrice Thumbnail by mavrice
Cairns, Australia

Hi and welcome, thank you for the pictures.

Korumburra, Australia

Hi All. Pourning with rain, has been very very dry so rather pleased with the world. Of the plants from the pod in the series, there is about 10 that are almost miniature. I am showing them in this message . The most recent one to flower was included in the previous post.The first and second were photoed in November 2011 on their first flowering. The third pic shows themn side by side 26 November 2012. The fourth shows another three flowering for the first time 26 November 2012.

Have others had these variations from their sowings? Do you think there could be a market for these miniature ones?

Depending how thinkgs turn out eye wise, I have results from two other pods I could post as well.

Does anyone know if sangenea can self polinate. I had 15 pods where I had pollinated with almost every brug with flowers.. I sowed 20 seeds from each po and selected the three largest and three smallest plants and four others that appeared variant. Almost all grew and prospered and are identical in every way. I was concidering reversing the cross, so that the pod would be the variable. are there any other ideas.

Maurice

Thumbnail by mavrice Thumbnail by mavrice Thumbnail by mavrice Thumbnail by mavrice

hi Maurice and everyone ...it is very steamy here today after the storms last night.
It has been my experience that once in the ground, the Brugs grow much bigger than in a pot.
Having said that ...who can really say if a plant remains a mini one or not until they try then both ways.
Some really don't want to grow upward but tend expand sideways. Example Love Potion no 9 and Pink Panther.

Your seedlings are very attractive, nice work. Are the fragrances like Aurea ? or sort of a citrus pine note ?
Just curious which parent may have passed on the scent.

I have no experience with the coldies so I will leave that to someone like Shaun to comment on those, I think the Sangs are selfing but I am not sure. Good luck with them, and once again many thanks for showing us your pretty Brugs ^_^

chrissy

Korumburra, Australia

Hi Chrissy

They are all grown in the ground. I only put them in pots if I want to manipulate them in some way, better to illustrate something. The picture yesterday had plant that was seedling in a pot in December 2010, and has been in growing in paddock conditions since then. The three in a row were dug up when I saw buds forming, they are grown in paddocks,

Cheers M

Thumbnail by mavrice

That is very interesting Maurice, perhaps the difference is our climate, I am only speaking from my experience here.
Wow look at all those coldies ! they would drop dead here from the heat.
Are you on acres too ? looks like you have plenty of room there.

chrissy

NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Great to see some of your results here Maurice. Growing seedlings in the open ground is a luxury! Here, I have to stick with 300mm pots. Anything that is half good gets potted up to the next big size. If worthy beyond that, it is into the ground!

You asked me by email if there are yellow flowering sanguineas here in Aus. Yes, a few. I did have 'Midas', however way too hot up here for him. Other folks on list here living south grow them. To my knowledge, all specie plants are self fertile, this being one characteristic which defines a plant as a species.

Here is the 'Old Apricot' x 'Fernando' seedling - day 5. It is shading up to a "blush" rather than "apricot". We will defiantly be putting this in the ground to see what happens...
Only problem is where? :(
W.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter Thumbnail by WayneCarter Thumbnail by WayneCarter Thumbnail by WayneCarter

Wayne I love the long, long apricot tube on this one ...will it have a working name ?
I suspect it will turn Apricot in Autumn.
Isn 't Old Apricot amazing, it seems to inject it's colour into whatever you breed it to.
I think it is a real keeper for sure ! Old Apricot stays very pale at certain times too.
More storm weather tonight ! more steam ...

chrissy

Maurice as Wayne stated about species are self fertile, I remember many years ago at Monash Uni experimental Botany division in Clayton there was a sanguine a that had like 40-50 pods on it and there were no other cold group members around so I would say yes they can produce pods from them selves

Talking about Yellow sanguinea I have 'Midas' the only available yellow in Australia at present I will have a few available soon with the cuttings taking pretty ok and there is about 10 plants so if your looking for that I may be able to help you out soon. DMail me if so?

By the way the sanguinea's in the ground are looking vey stunning and healthy all the blooms are looking good also keep us informed

Dianne thank you for the seed they arrived today and look very healthy
Wayne that cross will and should be a keeper and the building block to many other crosses with I'm sure OA what a great bloom congrats

NW Sydney NSW, Australia

Thanks Chrissy.
More colour today... waiting for the photos to be developed! :)
Hopefully post tomorrow.
I am thinking of taking this one's pollen to 'Tantra'.

Yes that would be a great choice Wayne.
We have just had a big storm again ...lost power for a while, lots of noise and heavy rain.

For those who may not know ...Jean is still off air (poor thing), her whole area has suffered, many still suffering the lack of communication due to a fire in a sub station.

http://www.weeklytimesnow.com.au/article/2012/11/27/551167_latest-news.html
Lets hope they can get it fixed soon.

chrissy

Korumburra, Australia

Sea Changer mentioned aboit Clementine having fragrance so I did a survey, they are not all in the same location. I cut up the old plants and grow cuttings through the winter so I did survey, ab but my sensesd there are 20 plus but my senses are not that acute. They vary from small & miserable to vigorous and fragrant. I took some pics of the best of them.

Thumbnail by mavrice Thumbnail by mavrice
NW Sydney NSW, Australia

A few more pics of OA x F, day 5.

Good rain here last night Chrissy - no probs.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter Thumbnail by WayneCarter Thumbnail by WayneCarter

Wayne it dose look like OA has injected all of its color on to this cross
what a lovely bloom day 5 and looking good

That looks wonderful Wayne ...yes OA seems to hold the key to Double Apricots of the future.
Many Congratulations to Both you and Allan, a huge step here ^_^ Love the pictures !

It's a lovely Brug ...start thinking of a name.

Maurice the Clementine has a very strong zingy fragrance that truly makes it's unique presence felt.Different to every other Brug,
we are all anxious to capture that fragrance in Clementine's kids. Very interesting to see your results.

It's lovely and damp here this morning but wretched heat to come,
I hope the weather will be kind wherever you all are, all that thundery rain will promote the growth in the Brugs (and the weeds).

chrissy

Korumburra, Australia

I have found another Clementine, right at the front steps. They do not get used too often. it had flower ready for pollen. Jobs done. ALSO ONE OF MY WHITE DOUBLE CROSSED WITH RED HOT PINK HAS FLOWERED. The caps only due to poor sight. saw someone had their dwarf pink and green on show. One of mine is shown just for interest. Will be off line for a while.

Maurice

Thumbnail by mavrice Thumbnail by mavrice

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.