Where to buy pumice?

Cottage Lake, WA(Zone 7b)

I started adding pumice to my potting soil. I prefer it from perlite or vermiculite. Does anyone know where to buy quantities larger than just 3 gallon bags, maybe even bulk? I live near Woodinville. Thanks for any help.

Vashon, WA(Zone 8b)

I'm sorry I don't have an answer to your question, but I am interested to know why you find it preferable to the other two substances. I might be interested it trying your method also.

Cottage Lake, WA(Zone 7b)

mauryhillfarm, thanks for your response. I don't like perlite and vermiculite, because they tend to float to the top of the pot while I'm watering my plants. They also quite quickly turn to powder and than the soil settles. Pumice is reusable, will not compact and has great porosity and ability to hold water. It also is great for topdressing alpine plants that don't tolerate organic muIches. I mix my regular potting soil from a good source with pumice to make potting soil draining even more easily, which is especially important for bulbs and other plants sensitive to wet soils especially during rainy season. Unfortunately pumice seems to be harder to find than perlite or vermiculite. So far I've been buying it on Amazon for about 7 dollars per gallon plus tax. I'd like to find cheaper source as I use a lot of it.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

Hi enith, Just Google 'Where can I buy pumice in bulk. There are several placeslisted.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.