Nov. 2012 - Holidays are near and Fall leaves are here!

suburban K.C., MO(Zone 6a)

Has anybody seen the photography entries? There are some incredible shots and scenes there. My favorite was probably the Personal or Private Landscaping and Gardens one.
Boy, some of those really seemingly require a high-end camera, the insects and other closeups especially..lol, maybe I'm just jealous, those are some incredible shots! Sorry if missed anybody that I knew to congratulate, I didn't see anyone from here, there is so many entries. I bet people had some tough decisions on who to pick, I thought many of the entries coulda took first. -
http://davesgarden.com/contest/2012-photo-contest/index.php scroll down there.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I was awestruck myself, something beyond ,some of those definitely are!!!
This was one of the few times I was to confused to vote, my concentration goes once in a while ,and that there is relaxing and pretty enough to do that anyway!
Incredible camera work!!!, a little experience ,practice, and talent with a good quality camera goes forever there!
Wonderful contest this time ,maybe some more so than usual ,Fantastic!!!!

Etc , There was ground hog eating leaves in my backyard this afternoon, I thought you might like hearing that.. It was particularly fond of hollyhock leaves...or so it seems.

I had to look thru the history of Firefox to find out what I voted for, I couldn't remember! Maybe I don't know how but there is no record of what one voted for, to see if one's vote helped get number one for somebody. I voted for this Sago Palm. - http://davesgarden.com/contest/2012-photo-contest/image.php?rid=25269&catid=436 It didn't win, but it's a neat photo anyway.
Oh, they like Hollyhock leaves eh? There are still some of those back there for them to eat!
Will

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Like the palm, tough competition though ,Yes hollyhocks and broad leaf grasses, This one had pretty fur ,it was blonde(set up for joke?) about the size of full grown Badger .
Too cold for the gardening, 30's and sunny earlier, just plain old cold now.

Haha, I'm not touching blonde jokes! Yes, quite cold anymore here too. There is a little ice on everything in the mornings, the birdbath had a big chunk of ice in it at 8:30 this morning, but I just left it, it's still water I suppose and my garden hose is put up for the Winter!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I know my garden tools(except the shovels) are put up and away for this year. I was going to ask pepper about the cardinal flowers only all mine "cooked out" this year
This season, now past, I won't miss as far as my plants , this was miserable year for my plantings! Last year or before a bunch drowned, this year was plant and see em bake!!!
I had never had a full size tomato plant die before this year,and I have been growing them since 1973 fairly regularly .
I am looking forward to better times next season , and hopes to many for the same, lots of misery to go around this year.
More drama than I have seen in decades!
Well stay dry and warm we will see ya, or talk more later.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Cardinal plants hate me. I'm learning to hate growing them. lol.

I hope next year isn't as bad as this year. But have a feeling it will be. :~(

Will, you can't avoid not touching blonde jokes forever! lol

Actually, I don't have any blonde jokes, I never liked blonde jokes! Blonde haired people are like everyone else, the only difference is about half of blonde headed people aren't really blonde!
I'll stay with my current salt and pepper color! I remember in high school, I tried to lighten my hair, right before the school photos came out. Remember Sun-In? That was a pathetic picture in the 11th grade, my hair was orange!

I hope this coming summer isn't like this one, but I learned something this year, water your valuable plants even if you think their established! Unfortunately, a nice Weeping dissected Japanese Maple might not be coming back, I'll be holding my breath when it's time for it to get leaves in the spring, it looks dead now. My friend, the homeowner, will not be happy if it's really dead,
she had it planted in 2007 and it was $150 then.

Pepper had sent me a Cardinal plant and it too has succumbed to something I do believe.

I water what I really want to keep. If it's really hardy like coneflowers and salvia then I leave them alone. But my trees, roses and new stuff get watered.

Oh, I feel LOTS better now! lol

Our old computer pooped out all of the sudden, about 4 days ago. I hooked up my friend's old Hewlett Packard Pavilion tower.
This 13 y.o. computer is old and slow, they don't even call them Hewlett Packard anymore, they call them HP.
It's way better than nothing though. I'm glad I have done things to this computer before, without these upgrades, it would be unuseable now. Haha, it came with Windows 98, about 2 years ago I put Windows Xp on it so our XP-only MS Office would work on it.
It also only came with 64 megabytes of ram and many years ago I had put 128 more on it. It was so long ago, I had forgot about it! I went to MyComputer icon-right click>Properties to see if it really only had 64mb because that's not nearly enuff for today.
A sticker on it says "64 megabytes of RAM!"!

On that old pc, I pushed F9 or whatever it is, to do that diagnostic thing and it said the harddrive was failed. That stinks, that computer was only 2 1/2 years old. I only lost photos after October 02, 2012 because I did a manual backup onto my exterrnal harddrive then. But, I hate losing everything since! I'll even be able to get a few photos from DG. I know that sounds strange but one can go thru the forums and right-click and do "save as" and put a copy back on the computer, I think DG may have resized them considerably smaller but it's way better than nothing. I didn't have anything super important since Oct 02, it could have been way worse, family photos or family reunion photos perhaps. If there is anything that I can say about my dilemma, it is get your stuff backed up because stuff DOES break and usually there is no way to recover without spending a few hundred dollars. It is easy to back up stuff. Just buy an external harddrive from Bestbuy and get them copied (not cut) to it. Even external harddrives don't last forever. The external harddrive that I am now relying on is at least twice as old as the harddrive that went out! I bought my external harddrive in 2007, I relied on cd-r before that and this computer doesn't even have that, this pc was had before that became standard. I have quite a precarious deal going now with all my stuff from the beginning of my computing time! I think they say the average lifespan of a harddrive is 2 years.
Well, it could be worse, I only have myself to blame!
Oh well, onward and upward!
Will

Mine has lasted longer than that!! lol. I bought this computer before I started my current job and that has been almost 4 years. Have had a few hiccups but managed to get them fixed.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

YES, been there done that! I am typing on a vista Acer ,But,, I guess ya know how that feels,,lol My dell fried from me trying updates ,etc downloads .... nothing follows!!!As you know what I mean... The dell was to old of a machine for the driver ware updates.I m still ahead of the old realistic sewing machine hardbox in the backroom that weighs about 30pds and is a bit smaller than a dinner plate .
The dell didn't cost much because I got it out of the garbage and put it back together myself ,but the satisfaction with myself (that I knew better)!!! was short lived about that.
Yes,,,, todays day,,, and the wrath of electronic helpers is upon us... and over us.....and sneaking around us.....And dancing on us..... and kicking us ,.....Well by this time you all get my opinion when it starts in at me Grrrrrrrrrrr.
This would of been fun if I would of had something positive to say...wouldn't it?LOL
OH well back to plants and flowers.... They are more fun anyway!!!

Yes, most hard drives seem to last longer than 2 years until it suddenly goes out on you!
Yes Vista does go back a ways! Wow, Realistic?! Wasn't that Radio Shack about 30 years ago?
Oh, a Dell huh? Good job putting it together. That's the maker of this one that just went out on us. I mean this one was the stuff, it had 8gb of RAM, a 750gb harddrive and kablooey, there it went! We might, just might, get a new harddrive to put in it, if it's really less than a hundred dollars. I'd like to try some handi-work on it before it's too small! Right now, I'm more concerned about backing up what I got, it's hanging by a thread! I'd like to get a 1 terabyte Western Digital external harddrive at Bestbuy for $69, I saw it yesterday.

Oh, back to plants and flowers huh?! I don't know about the tropics over there in Indiana but in Missouri there isn't too much plants and flowers going on this time of year! lol Today, I did give a friend a big cutting of Coleus with a little cutting of striped Wondering Jew in it also.

Haha! Just being alive is something positive!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Backing everything up I still have dvd-w dvd-rw from the dell that will not play on this acer it is cd only.. ancient ,antiquated old... yesterday....me too....
Hibiscus, spider plant , coffee tree , , to name a few of a half dozen in the house for winter...lol

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I forgot Realistic 1970'S HUH!!! yes WOW!!!! you were closer though ,,computer was model 1984 ...HEARD THAT BEFORE SOMEPLACE? LOL.

Wow, 1984, now that's a year I'll never forget! Oh, I was all about Realistic back in the day! My first car speakers were Realistic speakers, they were stolen out of my car about 2 weeks after I bought them, (in 1984)! 1984?! I hope that doesn't date me!
1984 does go back to Ghostbusters and Chevy Citations, I'm glad cars have gotten better! Although, I no longer feather my hair! lol

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I remember all those,l of course at avoidance of age jokes or telling . me.. pre Chevrolet Corvair and Ralph Nader.
At least the controls have not gone to George Orwell as yet .... well maybe.
I loved Ghostbuster's films!!.. Sounds like the Citation commercial . Something like the little heart and I luv my citation ,of course then came the Chevy luv... remember those?I hadn't until typing this ,...truck wasn't it...?

I remember those commercials too! I remember cars broke down pretty often around that time! Fuel injection didn't start until 1985, so you couldn't really pump the gas pedal on anything after that and really act like you knew what you were doing! I hadn't started smoking yet and I couldn't pump the gas pedal, I had nothing to make me look cool! Well, actually, I didn't have a car past 1975 until 1995 when I had a 1991 convertible Camaro. Hehe.. I musta looked like an idiot for a lot of years pumping the gas pedal because I didn't know about fuel injection until 2000 or so!
Oh, the Chevy Luv! Yeah, I think that was a truck. I remember thinking, "I WON'T have a truck named that!"! Instead, I had to have a 1970 Maverick "Grabber" in 1984 (my first car) that ate up the 2 front tires in 2 days from being so out of alignment! I remember I got pulled over by the police in Independence, (MO.) then for having 11 people in that car. I was let go, I think the policeman felt sorry for me, I think he just wanted to make sure they was all alive or something, people were laying all over everywhere in the seats! One good thing about then was you didn't have to have car insurance, which isn't really a good thing but in high school I couldn't afford it.

I remember George Orwell's 1984, it always was kinda eerie how similar they were!

How's that SpiderPlant doing over there, juhur?

Snow possible on Tuesday now!! Whoo hoo!!!!

A week from today? Hehe.. that forecast will change! It is getting alot colder though I see, after Thanksgiving I think they said.
Snow eh? Maybe it'll be a white Christmas too! It doesn't snow around Christmas much, it should snow about 8 inches then.
Haha, I wouldn't be saying that if I had to drive in it!

I have 4 wheel drive. Don't bother me any! I just want as much snow as possible so it can soak into the ground and provide needed moisture.

Moisture in the ground is nice, altho, a bit too late for about 4 plants out in the yard. Snow doesn't bother me any either, I watch it just fine out the window and on the tv! lol

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Just stopping by to say hi,, 60 the past two days the same the next two.? We have snow forecast for the day after Thanksgiving or next day. It will melt away most likely.
I was using cardboard cards and planting daylily seeds today, not many, a few though.
Digging is easy this time year hear ,all saturates deep , earth turns really easily.
I can see pepper now... 3 or 4 feet of snow , pepper goes goes zoomin past at 40 or 50 mph with the chains on,, my little compact in reverse putterin along... and buries me 2 feet deep , while I am cussin and shakin my fist lol Road RageLOL

Hi juhur! Oh, I bet pepper does zoom in the snow! I never get involved in road rage myself, road rage is pitiful! Even the other day I beat a car to a parking spot, I kinda felt bad when he pulled up, he was a good sport about it though. He just says, "the bigger vehicle should win!", he was smiling. I just told him "oh, I know, sorry, but I don't have a minute to spare, I'm going in for a job interview", he wished me luck, and I didn't get the job, maybe I shoulda gave him the spot, maybe he was the human resources manager or something!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I have wondered that before when things have happened. Every one seems to be running here and there doing this that for Thanksgiving . I'm chilling out , looking forward to the food.
Happy Thanksgiving...

I went to a friend's house tonight and hung out there for a few hours. Had to drop some weeds off with another friend and he decided to burn the big pile of brush. At first it just burned the edges and seemed to putter out. Next thing we know there is a fire in the middle and the whole thing takes off. The flames were reaching to the tree tops there for awhile. Burned hot!! Then I got bopped in the head by a hot stick. lol. Luckily it didn't burn or anything.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Hey Ouch!!! Sounds like a hot one!!!lol Sounds like a way to stay warm anyway, you might miss that later on.
Glad your okay ,that is how some very serious injuries and such have happened.

Delivering weed you say?!!!! LOL Just kidding a little. Only what were the weeds really for? For edge burning or compost or something?

Ack! Bopped in the head by a burning stick?! I'm glad to hear it turned out alright. That reminds me of when I was 16 or 17, my friend's girlfriend's hair caught on fire from all the hairspray in her hair, it went up fast from her lighter. Luckily, I was sitting right behind her in the car and put the fire right out with my hand. I mean it was like whoosh and she was bald in the front! Back in 1984, I believe hairspray was very popular!

Well, the new hard drive is all in and working good so far, 1 whole terabyte of raw computing power, until it quits working anyway! lol My hanging-thread external hard drive is copying all it's files to it as I type.

We just dumped them on the pile to be burned whenever he got around to it. Decided to burn it today. lol. It was still burning when we left and we lit it about 3:30-4pm. lol

Well, Thanksgiving is over. Now, I'm wondering if I should go to Walmart to get a tv?! Not! lol Next up is Christmas for all you carolers!

I have a cousin going there to get one. We tried to talk him into getting an extra one just for us. lol. Only bad thing is it isn't that good of a tv for watching but he needs it for games and it will be perfect for that.

Yeah, not a bad deal at all if you don't mind the crowd. A 32" tv for $148 is a sweet deal, even a 24" one for $78 is nice, I too have researched them a little and the specs aren't too good for watching details, but you can't beat that price at all, I mean a tv is a tv..lol I am kinda skeptical about how long you had to wait to qualify for those deals though. I know they opened at 8 tonite but was that early enuff to be considered in line between 10 and 11? I was kinda curious if there'd be any workers striking tonite at Walmarts too.

I don't know if any striked locally but I know there was a fight at the Wal Mart near me this morning. I heard a bit about it tonight when helping an uncle move. I stayed home til afternoon then we went out to buy a mattress for my grandma. She then said she wanted to get a bigger mattress so my parents had to go and exchange it for her. That is done though and she is happy.... so far. lol

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Thanksgiving day there was a fight on TV at a K-Mart about a TV people had been waiting all night for and there were only like 3 or 4 available. Waiting all night outside to buy a TV? Breaking one over a head on a holiday? Going to jail for Thanksgiving?
Does this justify "homebody itis"? I think I would rather stay home and talk to plants......

Fighting over a tv deal eh?! What fun! Not! Oh, customer service at Walmart is nuts. I stood in the line at Walmart a few days ago but I only stood there for about 10 seconds then I left.
Somebody absconded off with my cart when I was having my glasses adjusted in the vision center and my sunglasses were in the cart so I visited lost and found briefly, (customer service), but I said heck with it, so I squinted the ride home with no sunglasses. That's the second time that's happened and nobody returns sunglasses, that's probably why they took my cart. Customer service this time of year is a big wait at Walmart, everybody's returning their gifts for cash.
I would rather stay home and talk to cats! lol

Oh, I wanted to correct myself up there, the computer with the harddrive that went out was an HP, not a Dell. I don't know what I was thinking, I had a Dell laptop a few years ago.

I ran the restore program to get to all the files and folders that got "backed up" at F9 or F something when it was booting up before it got to the crashed harddrive part and did nothing. I thought it was just some kind of random backup thing where they backed up what they wanted. I had no say in getting photos or anything. All I knew was it took a long time and I had no idea what it was doing but I was desperate for anything at the time so I just did it. Well, today I ran the program that restores all that stuff that it randomly saved then and I couldn't believe it, an incredible lot was saved, even all the photos between Oct. 02 to now were even in there. Having a big "not backed up scare" can bum you right out, believe you me!
Will

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Te teenager here has an HP also hers crashed two days ago, hers has auto backup and save on the D drive 2 Of course extracting on to dvd and replacing the info was fun!!! and as using your NOT!!!

Sorry to hear that, a crashed computer is no good! Of course, since I use it all the time I was the guilty party that caused it to break! Maybe it'll work unfettered for a couple of years!
When my friend bought the 1 terabyte internal harddrive she also bought a 1 terabyte external harddrive. So, maybe if everything has broke in 2 or 3 years everything will be on the new external harddrive.

I'd say this bird has the other bird's tail!

Thumbnail by shortleaf

LOL. Good pic!!

Thanks, it IS a good pic from somebody! They were called, "Taking photos at just the right moment". Here is another one!

Thumbnail by shortleaf

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.