BROMELIADS FOR NOVICES & ADDICTS - NOVEMBER 2012

shellharbour, Australia

Hi Ian and Wendy – seems we are getting fewer. If this continues I'll be writing to myself which is just one step up from talking to myself. The next thing I know, the little men in white coats will be coming to take me away for a holiday in a special home. Ha Ha.

Ian – I'm very interested in what you say about seedlings from Bill. Schemperiana seed. I have never seen a Bill with that name nor is it on the BCR or the FCBS species photo index. Could you possibly post a pic of the adult plant with or without a flower? Also a bit of history of where it came from etc. and if you have pic's it wouldn't hurt to send them to the FCBS to have them included on the photo index. The name sounds like it could be a species and the more info about species we have the better.

I too thought your Neo 'Medusa' looked like the Deroose clone. Just recently saw that Bunnings down here were selling heaps of tissue cultured Neo. 'Medusa' plants which although weren't flowering, were almost flowering size. On close inspection I noticed quite a few of them also had twisted leaves and I said to the horticulturist that I thought $22.95 was a bit steep for a plant with deformed leaves, and his answer was, “yes, well that's what sometimes happens with plants mass produced by tissue culture”.

I read somewhere once that in theory, you can produce millions of plants from the one original meristem and all should be identical to the parent plant. However the more you produce, the greater the risk of deformities occurring, and I think that's the problem with some of the plants we're getting now, some of the overseas lab's have just produced and produced all from the original meristem, all for the sake of the mighty dollar where all they had to do was start off a new batch from a new meristem after a few thousand were produced which would maintain a better quality of plant. I suppose we shouldn't forget that these plants are just produced for the most part to be sold in lieu of cut flowers, so possibly the consideration of leaf deformity doesn't come into the equation as long as it doesn't affect leaf colour or flower production.

I like your variegated Ae Blanchetiana, we don't see them down this way, and your Ae. Sphaeroglossa looks right at home in it's novel pot. Ae Caesia also looks good with its dark flowers, but it's Ae Filicaulis that catches my eye as I saw one of these in flower for the first time at our last meeting. It has the most unusual pendulous inflorescence with very fine, thin, fragile looking flowers all the way down the spike which hung down about two and a half times the height of the plant itself. I did notice that the leaves on that plant were a much darker colour than yours and probably as a result of it hanging high in the shade house to get good light. If that's the case, try moving yours to a brighter area higher up to allow for the flowers to hang down and it may prompt it to reward you with some flowers as it certainly appears to be large enough to flower.

Wendy – Yes Magpies are good value aren't they? We started feeding a pair here about five years ago and they would come in each day for their food and then fly back to the nest. When the young started to fly they would bring them in also and they would all line up on the clothes line. As soon as the young were large enough to feed and fend for themselves, the parents would chase them away every time they came into the yard, I suppose they didn't want the young to muck up a “good thing”. These same parents have been coming in twice a day every day and some years times they just have one batch of young but last year they had two, and at one stage we were feeding eight young magpies plus Mum and Dad. I've never been attacked by a magpie, so there's probably some truth in what the “oldies” told us as kids and that was that “magpies will never attack a person who feeds them”.

I don't have any pups of Billbergia 'Rosea' but I do have a spare plant (the one pictured yesterday). It has a couple of small pups coming but they're far too small to take off yet. I could send it to you, but the freight would probably cost you around the $30 mark as it's a pretty big plant at about 30” high. I think I have a seedling or two left from the same batch of seed (second sowing) and they are only about 4”-5” high and you're welcome to one of them but first I have to find them. If you're interested in the larger plant, let me know and I'll weigh it properly and give you a more accurate cost of postage.

The Ae calichroma x blanchetiana seedlings that I kept are also turning out to be dark coloured, although not quite as large as yours. They could turn out to be quite interesting feature plants in a large garden.

I forgot to mention earlier that I was given a lot of Puya Mirabilis seed if anyone wants any. I'm told it's very easy to grow and is one of the more common Puyas and has white flowers. If you would like some, just send me a stamped self addressed envelope and I'll get it in the mail to you.

That's about it for today; and I'll finish with a pic of a plant I was given as a small seedling quite a few years ago and one that I have used as a parent myself. Neo. 'Charm x 'Cracker Jack'

All the best, Nev.

Thumbnail by splinter1804
Coffs Harbour, Australia

Hello all, sorry I was AWOL. Got alot to catch up on.
Wendy, sorry to hear Maxs prognosis. I hope his final weeks/months are happy ones with you.
Re your Blood Lilies, I repotted mine when they were dormant, about 2 months ago, and they have all flowered in the new pots this week. I planted them with a bit of the neck above the soil level, like a hippeastrium.
My back is like Nevs, in that I can sit or stand for quite awhile, but its the standing up, after sitting that I find it hard to straighten up
Nev, your seedlings from that long winded Billbergia cross sound like they have a huge mix of genes in there. I'm betting with so much Domingos Martins, they will look alot like the so-named cultivar.
The Blood Lily bulbs will grow in the same climate as Hippeastriums. Can you grow them down your way? The botanical name is Scadoxus. I have both the one that flowers first, then foliage
after, and the foliage first and flower after, which doesn't like being repotted, and didn't flower this year.
As for the tissue culture plants, alot of deformities appear after they have been grown on in commercial nurseries, and the growers spray hormone sprays to induce flowering. Sometimes the plants are a bit small, or have already initiated flowering, and the hormones confuse them. Often, this doesn't pass on to the offspring. Jen, did your mutant Guzmania ever throw more mutants? I suspected it wouldn't as it looked like it had begun to flower, then reverted to producing foliage. I'd be interested to know.
Anyway, like I said, limited time for chatting. It is my husbands 50th birthdy tody, and I am spending plenty of time with him and out three grown daughters (who are all having nanny naps after a big lunch)
Photo one, Neos in the garden
Photo two, looking through the garden
Photo three Alcantarea extensa
photo four, a late flowering Billbergia 'Hallelujah'

hello to Ian, Trish, Shirley and anyone looking in.
have a great weekend
Sue

Thumbnail by weed_woman Thumbnail by weed_woman Thumbnail by weed_woman Thumbnail by weed_woman

Hi to all.
Sue thanks for the info on repotting the blood lily. it was one of those jobs we meant to do but never got to so another year of full pot. will have to do it next spring. your gardens are looking great soo. probably a bit fuller now than when we were down there, what with all your new plants.

Nev thanks for the offer of the full sized bill rosea but not worth the postage so I will greatly appreciate the seedling of same you offered. I must post that packet of stamps off to you too. and must be time to make up another package to send to you. name what you want (except fo those new release and expensive ones of course hahaha) and I'll try to find them and send to you. I've been potting up some seedlings and took some pics today. pic 1 & 3 are some strands of barbed wire holding hanging pots. When taking them pics I realised that Johnny has hooks from pipe on roof to barbed wire to stop sagging and these hooks are used to hold heavier baskets of plants also.
Pic 2 is a new epi I received from Karen this year called bold venture. love the 2 tones of colour.
Pic 5 is a piece of tree fern trunk Johnny has suspended over the pond and planted with neophytums like ralph davis and firecracker. it's getting thick now. will have to try to get some pups out soon.
Pic 4 is the largest of the portea seedlings potted up into squat pot to grow on.

Oops dg mixed them but I saw before I posted hence the mixed up numbering.
Night all
Wendy

Thumbnail by perke_patch Thumbnail by perke_patch Thumbnail by perke_patch Thumbnail by perke_patch Thumbnail by perke_patch

Hi all, another hot and dry day, not quite what we expect due to it supposed to be our wet season. I didn't do much here today but I did get out the camera and took a few piccies at 3.15pm out the front.All these plants have been getting full sun all day and it lasts to 6.00pm or when the sun goes behind a tree.I know what men do behind a tree but what does the sun do? I had smoko and a rest and then watered most of my plants, especially the ones mounted in trees.
Nev I left a part of the name out of my bil seedlings, it should of been Bil Nutans schimperiana. I have a piccie of it tonight.Thanks for correcting me and my abbreviations.
I would baulk at $22.50 for a Medusa, I would have to really want it although i paid more than that for Chiripo on ebay recently.I recently saw another that I think I want and can't remember whether it is a Jocob Koning or Chester Skotak new release and that plant is N Wild rabbit. I think it is Jacobs.I don't think it would be within my budget so I haven't even written it on my wants list.. How much heat will Puyas take I have been told that they won't survive here. I would expect that if they grow in Adelaide they would grow here. The moisture could be a problem though.
Aynway have a good one
Ian
Pic 1 Bil Nutans schimperiana
Pic 2 Ananas lucidus
Pic 3 A happy medium neo growing in full sun beside lucidus
Pic 4 Looking down on my front garden from the steps
Pic 5 A neo hiding from the sun

Thumbnail by ianperry Thumbnail by ianperry Thumbnail by ianperry Thumbnail by ianperry Thumbnail by ianperry
Brisbane, Australia

Hi everyone, another month over and it’s getting very close to Xmas and the New Year. It has been really hot here the last couple of days but it is going to get even hotter next week according to the weather forecast.

Our internet is still acting up. Michael rang BigPond again today and gave them a serve and they said they will send out a new Modem … same old story.

Nev, I think my NOID is an aechmea rather than a neo but I could be wrong. Love your pic of the kookaburra. I have one that I hand feed but he hasn’t been around for a couple of weeks now. He seems to do this occasionally and I used to worry that he had come to grief but then he turns up again and visits every day for a few weeks … then goes AWOL again.

Wendy, glad to hear Max is faring well at the moment. And no, I didn’t get one of the aechmea seedlings you mention. My seed is doing very nicely, especially the neos. I haven’t had any of the tillandsea seed germinate as yet … still hoping.

Is your sale next weekend Wendy. If so, and if it’s OK with you, we might come over on Friday morning (if you are going to be home and not too busy getting ready for the sale). I will have to Dmail you a list of plants I am chasing … maybe you will have some of them or maybe Jen will.

Sue, love your pics and happy 50th birthday wishes to your hubby.

Hello to Trish, Ian, Colleen, Jen and Bree. Have a good weekend everyone.

Shirley

shellharbour, Australia

Hi everyone – Well here it is the weekend once again and today's our Annual Christmas Party for the Bromeliad Society, no meeting, just a time for chatting with like minded brom growers. We had storms and very heavy rain for most of last night and this morning is dark and very overcast. Not at all looking like the forecast hot 40 degree Saturday.

Sue – Please pass on my belated happy birthday wishes to Bill, and tell him I said he's still only a “boy “. From what you say about Hipeastriums, I might have a chance of growing these “Blood Lilies”, “Pom Pom” flowers or whatever you want to call them as Hippeastriums thrive down here. Although I've never grown them, my neighbour across the road had a few big clumps in her garden and they flower every year.

Back to tissue cultured plants once more; when I was in hospital after an operation a friend brought me in a Vr Splendriet with the flower spike only half grown as a get well gift. Unfortunately when the spike was about three quarter size it started to twist and go all over the place. When it eventually flowered, the flowers were all deformed as well with some never even opening while others just went brown and fell off. I can tell you I was most disappointed and was almost ready to toss it, but had second thoughts and just put it down the back with all of the old Neo. mother plants.

Surprise!, surprise!, the following year a new pup grew very well and flowered without any sign of deformity and it has done so each year since. So in this case the deformity was just temporary, and I suspect was caused by the tissue culturing or the gassing/spraying to promote flowering or a combination of the two.

I wasn't so lucky with beautiful big Aechmea smooth leafed unnamed hybrid I bought from K Mart when they had a nursery section in their store down here some years ago. It was in full flower and lasted for months and later put up two beautiful big pups which grew into adult plants and later put up these massive pups themselves, but never a sign of a single flower on any of them. I moved them all around the yard in different light intensities and still no sign of flowers.

A friend gave me a little bottle of “Ethephon” which is what a lot of the nurseries use to initiate flowers on tissue cultured plants and he said to just put a drop or two into the cup and it would initiate flowering in a few months. I was tempted to use it but thought if I have to go to all this fiddling about, is it really worth it, and after all, you're still getting an artificial result anyway so it's still locked up in the poison cupboard.

As I bought the original plant almost ten years ago and last year when there were still no flowers, the whole lot (seven nice big healthy plants) all went into the “green bin” and that was the end to my purchasing of tissue cultured plants.

Nice garden shots Sue, but the Bill. Hallelujah still takes the prize and in my opinion (for what it's worth), it will have to be an extraordinary Billbergia hybrid that knocks this beauty into second place.

Wendy – Thanks for the offer of the stamps; I don't mind giving away plants and seeds to other people as long as I'm not out of pocket with postage. With swaps it's OK as both parties have to pay postage. I know it sound a bit “lousy” when I ask for a stamp self addressed envelope to send some seeds, but when you have to send seed or pups to twenty or more people just as a gift and not a swap, it all eats into the finances, and unfortunately “Julia” won't give me a “bromeliad allowance” on my pension to compensate for it.

I don't remember just what the next lot of pups were I wanted to swap with you and I'll have to look and see if I wrote them down anywhere. I seem to remember starting a file on them on this computer, but it's just remembering what I named the file that's the problem. Oh! ain't old age fun!

That's the first time I've seen pic's of plants on barbed wire close enough to make out the detail. I seem to remember Jack once saying he used this method to hang plants from when he built his new shade house at Tamera's place, but he only ever posted “long shots” of it.

Wow! Your Portea seedlings are powering along aren't they, what are you feeding them? Mine are only half that size, but then with a cooler climate and no feeding I suppose that's to be expected. I like Johnny's idea with the Tree Fern log, it looks great. I have one about the same size which I've been wondering what to do with for some time now, but now I know what I'll do.

Ian – That little bit of extra information makes a big difference; here's me thinking you had discovered a rare new species and getting all excited when ll the time it was one of the most popular and commonly grown Bill's of all times. I don't know how many of you have ever looked closely at the beauty of a Bill. Nutans flower, I know they don't last long but the colours are truly amazing (Pic 1).

Neo 'Wild Rabbit' is a Chester Skotak hybrid and just one of many which have since been named and are from a cross using Neo (carolinae variegated x Hannibal Lector) as a parent and in this case it's crossed with Neo. 'Tiger Cub'. To see others, go to http://botu07.bio.uu.nl/bcg/bcr/index.php?fields=Parents&id=10617&search=carolinae%20variegated%20x%20Hannibal%20Lector.

You say you are wondering how “Puyas” would grow there; I'm told they are very easy to grow and if you are that way inclined it's probably worth giving them a go.

Shirley – I never though about the possibility of your NOID being an Aechmea. I know there are some lovely variegated cultivated varieties such as Ae.Mend and Ae. Rodco to name just two which came originally from Ae Lueddemanniana and they are easy enough to tell as they all have similar flowers to Lueddemanniana. So when your plant eventually flowers, check the flower to see. It's a very nicely coloured plant whether it's a Neo or an Aechmea and if you ever get sick of growing it, you can always send it down here.

A “Get Well” wish to anyone on the sick list and also good morning to the “lurkers” who aren't posting. Hurry back, we need your input to keep this forum working properly, don't let it die.

Finally can someone please start a new thread for December as this one's getting pretty big now and I don't know how to do it.

A few pic's to finish with, firstly lets admire the beauty in this flower of Bill Nutans schimperiana (Pic.1) Pic 2 shows just what you may find in a brom garden when it's ”let go”. I had forgotten I even planted an old mother of Ae. Pectinata here few years ago, and still wouldn't have remembered it had it not been for the bright red foliage peeping through among the overgrown the Neo's . Pic.3 is one you don't often see any more; Ae Bromeliifolia Albobracteata is not everyone's “cup of tea” but I think there is still something attractive about the sculptural shape of it. Pic 4 shows one of the Neo. Seedling “Culls” in the front garden while Pic 5 shows another Neo seedling “cull” beneath the Golden Robinia tree.

All the best, Nev.

Thumbnail by splinter1804 Thumbnail by splinter1804 Thumbnail by splinter1804 Thumbnail by splinter1804 Thumbnail by splinter1804
Coffs Harbour, Australia

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1289502/
here is the new decmeber thread
Just a quick note tonight.
Ian, I think if you keep your Puyas in full sun, in well drained mix, and treat them a bit like a cactus, you might do ok with them. Have you got a hot sunny spot under the eaves?
Nev, I am with you on Bill. 'Hallelujah'. It would be very hard to improve, except by size!
Put me on the sick list......I've got a summer cold!
Wendy, the tree fern log looks great. I wish I had a stack of them to play with. So many uses.
Shirley, I hope you get your internet sorted soon. How annoying for you to have to go through all that again!
Hello to everyone looking in. Jump over to the december thread and post some nice pickies!
Sue
variegated blanchy

Thumbnail by weed_woman

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.