Are you starting any Daylily seeds this winter? how?

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Well with the Post Office in financial trouble , it is not surprising , Regular mail is up another penny , expect more,, Saturday delivery ended here last week also ..

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Saturday delivery is not supposed to end here until August.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

You remember Poland and eastern Europe in the 60's and 70's ? LIKE 5 to 7 Dollars for a first class stamp? EEEEKKK!!!!!

This message was edited Mar 4, 2015 12:02 AM

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

I don't remember those high prices in the 70's but I just think it is shameful that we are making all our international customers pay for our mistakes.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Here's a pick of a puffer cross , some others died> when I set this under some light with some centaurea seedlings it took off growing good,
I am still learning seems some like more light and heat than the ones I already have.. Not a real good pic , but better than my usual..lol

Thumbnail by juhur7 Thumbnail by juhur7

Ju, why don't you grow the daylily seedlings in its own little pot. It may grow better if it doesn't have to share with other plants.

I don't know what kind of camera you have but perhaps you are too close to the subject that is why it is blurry. Unless a camera have a setting for closeup or macro, the photo will come out blurry. The 2 above are a bit clearer than your others.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Too much light for the setting , and it is growing with these while the others of the same died in their own.
My Mistakes This particular ; more light
more heat
different soil mix
It is a saved from a mistake , Like I posted earlier , there is a difference,(from others I have)
Even if it is small ,,it is alive ... and will likely stay that way
Some of these have a slightly different preference than what I have grown (referring to the newer Daylily) I am surprised..!!!
Only I know it now!!!lol

This message was edited Feb 27, 2013 1:55 AM

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

I think the plastic contributed to the blurr. I gotta get my seeds started soon!

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Just did an inventory on my sponges, so I can get my seed overload from the fall started. They have a rough time in the heat of the summer, but if I keep them mostly in the shade, they should be fine. This summer Im doing barely any crosses of my own. It will be hard not to dab that pollen, but it is so hard on the plants, I want more bloom and especially rebloom this summer. I always end up planting the ones I buy first, I know what my plants look like and the seeds from different plants entice me more.

This message was edited Mar 3, 2015 11:46 PM

Thumbnail by Thumbnail by

Below are the 2013 seedlings. Some are my own crosses, others are from LA

Thumbnail by
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Looking good there!^_^ Not much as delightful as a tray full of seedlings!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Here the saved daylily from the pot pic that was not too good.

This message was edited Mar 3, 2015 11:49 PM

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Better camera ,better light . I was asking as your light on the other thread , looked like a Sunbox (was wondering )

Allright at it once I learn or know what I am doing>>>

This message was edited Mar 24, 2013 3:12 PM

ju,
Not a sunbox, just a shelf on my plant stand with flourescent plant lights. Have had it since 1980.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

These look a little better than the pic , just thought I would though A couple from seed started this winter, after a system crash a few weeks ago I will have to retrieve the file to know for sure which ones they are , oh well , just to say they grew and are growing . I guess ..

Thumbnail by juhur7
Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Looking good juhur7 and blomma! Blomma, you have such neat and tidy seedling beds.

Karen

Pawleys Island, SC

I just popped in and read this thread. You all are awesome!. I love to grow daylilies from seed. Last year I decided I would try some from fresh seed. So I planted them the minute I found the pod and they germinated within about a week and have been growing ever since. I think the pod parent was Joylene Nicole, but I am not positive. I am anxiously awaiting this year's blooming season.

Linda

This message was edited Mar 3, 2015 11:50 PM

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

My crosses that were winter sown are sprouting now , they have been for a abut a week or slightly more. Nice to see the new green sprouts..!

Pawleys Island, SC

Blomma, The only thing that I did was to sow the seeds immediately in a 3" pot ( only because it was handy and clean) . I watered the pot and let it drain and then set the pot in a zip lock baggie on a table in my garden shed where a flourescent light is on 24/7 ( only because it is direct wired and I can't turn it off). I didn't open the baggie until the seedlings were about 4" tall. then I moved them outside and into a 4" pot. Last week, I found them on my potting table.

I don't know what I would do with the winter's you all have had. We have had a tremendous amount of rain so I moved my succulents back inside on a sand bed hoping to draw some of the water out before I lose them.

I have 2 crosses that should bloom for me this year. I can't wait to see what they turn out to be.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

I never give seeds cold water stratification and I get at least 90% germination. The seeds that give me the most trouble germination are tets. I may try that this year on them and on some older seeds.

This message was edited Mar 3, 2015 11:51 PM

Thumbnail by
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

These are new seedlings tiny about a week and and a half old , I have about fifteen groups similar to these.

Pawleys Island, SC

I always found that if I pre-germinated the seeds on paper towels and then planted them in the soil, it seemed to take twice as long. Then I started soaking them in hot water overnight and then putting them in the fridge for 3 weeks. A lot of the seeds would germinate in the fridge. Then I would plant them and it seemed like they came up in no time at all.
I do have a very long growing season. Maybe that is why it helps so much.

This message was edited Mar 3, 2015 11:52 PM

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

They are outside growing in front of some other flowers , Little white paper compost boxes torn open on the bottom and filled with a compost mix, all that was done last fall .
Jerry Nettles x When Royals Dream are those shown there ..

This message was edited Apr 24, 2013 12:33 AM

Pawleys Island, SC

I had a strelitzia seedling that came up as an albino and I just let it grow, it finally turned green. I wonder if daylily albino seedlings would do the same things. I am planning to soak some today and then start some soon. I will let you know how well they grow.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

ibartoo, from what I have read here the albino daylily seedlings live for awhile and then die. You never know, there's always a first. Mike

hemlady, juhur7 and I can attest to the fact that albino DL seedling will die since they can't produce chlorophyll (sp?) so they die.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I had one last fall showing white variegation , unfortunately it rotted away , This is the third wettest April in history here .
Maybe that is what happened ,a strong variegation looking all white had shaded green that later turned more visual .???

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

I appreciate the information here! But, I still have not gotten any to sprout. The last ones molded. :((

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Oh I already knew that Blomma. I have had some white seedlings before and they always die. Thanks.

Quote from hemlady :
Oh I already knew that Blomma. I have had some white seedlings before and they always die. Thanks.

LOL, I know you knew that. You ae the one that told me. What I meant was that you, Jur, and I all know that they die.

This message was edited Mar 3, 2015 11:53 PM

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

virginiarose There are three of the reasons for that (the mold )
1 The seeds are no good .
2 the seeds are to warm
3 the air circulation or the soil is wrong .. These are the three most common reasons ... patience is all ..

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Thanks all, they were in the refrigerator on a wet paper towel. That was in the winter. I have no idea why I did that, maybe advice from some one gone wrong?

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

I still use no other method than parks sponges. Its about 100% for me, so if it aint broke, Im not going to fix it. I know people do all sorts of things, but sticking a seed in a hole is as complicated as it gets for me. Ill take some pictures of some I planted about 6 weeks ago tomorrow. If I had an abundance of my own seeds, I might try something else and not care if I loose a few. I buy most of mine and so I dont have a ton. I try to stick to 120 a year...the sponges come in trays of 60. Its hard to stick to only 120 seedlings, but 120 to plant out is more than I really want to do.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.