Are you starting any Daylily seeds this winter? how?

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I was wondering if any body felt like talking about seedling efforts or new Daylily you all might be starting this winter. thought came up with my ed brown x high octane seedlings today,
As you can tell I am happy enough to bust!!lol What say ,any convo?

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Not me. I stopped doing seeds indoors about 3 years ago. Now I sow in pots outdoors in mid May and then in August I transplant them into the seedling beds. I have had good germination. The tets give me a bit more trouble germinating than the dips.

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

I will be starting some indoors about mid february.

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Starting in pots sounds like a great idea. I have no room in the house to start seeds, so the pot method would work great for me.

Karen

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

My thing about the lights or indoors was some of mine were ready to grow I am not sure about how they would do outside now,and since they have germinated I thought I would try to grow them indoors in pots.
I guess I will find out next spring about the ones planted outside ,which really is my preferred method. Not good with perennial plants indoors ,never have been.
Just a bit of fun and convo ; while maybe learning a thing or so.

Pittsburgh, PA

I have seedling of Juana Maria X Wind Frills growing under lights. A few of them have "white" leaves. Are they going to be variegated or is something wrong with them????

Thumbnail by obliqua
Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I do not know, that is interesting. Maybe some here will reply to help this along. I have had some that looked similar,early roots do not seem to absorb enough nutrients to make chlorophyll ,I do not feed mine as the few I have tried to feed more withered or died.
My guess is root development is going slow and the seedlings will grow out of it, I have seen many that looked that way to begin.
Could be light but I do not think so ,as they would not be growing like they are if it were.
Maybe the lightest drop of nitrogen on one to find out .That I have done without severe consequences .

Nice little root crowns on those seedlings.

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

The albino ones eventually die because they can't make chlorophyl(sp?) to survive.

Pittsburgh, PA

I am feeding them super thrive. So far they all look like they are growing. I will keep you informed.

Judy

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Good luck, obliqua. I imagine the white ones will die off if they don't turn green soon.

Karen

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I let my seeds dry up in paper envelopes until late fall. I usually plant them outdoors Thanksgiving weekend. I had at least 90% germination last fall.

I prepare the bed in October. Then, I just put them in about half inch deep. One theory is that the "evergreen" seeds will go ahead and germinate, and will die over winter, so you are left with SE and dormant. I was taught this method by Charles Applegate, breeder of "Blessing" and Dottie Warrell, breeder of "Holly Dancer" -- and Curt Hanson does thousands of seed this way every year.

They come up mid to late April.

This message was edited Oct 29, 2012 1:10 AM

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

OMG, daylily_ohio, that sounds like the best way ever! I think I'll do that. I can get a bed prepared next weekend. As the weather report stands at this point, it's supposed to be good weather.

Karen

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

nutsfordaylily -- note do NOT try this if your seed has been refrigerated. Only for seed that has been dried since collecting. I had total crop failure with refrigerated seed that a friend gave me a few years ago.

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Okay, good to know. My seed has been refrigerated. Then in that case I will start in the ground in the spring, as soon as the soil is warm enough.

Karen

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

This has got me thinking I should go out to the garden and retrieve a few I have planted,A couple of them are germinated and the old ones have now ceased to growing for the season.
It's cold enough that nothing is growing much from here on this year ,but I will re read some of this as I seemed to of missed of something, about the how and time of why of this.
Practice is every and all as always.
AUTUMN SOJOURNXSAILING AT DAWN Is the one growing outside I DO NOT WANT TO LOSE ANY i DO NOT HAVE TO!

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Good luck with yours, juhur7. I'm sure all will be fine.

Karen

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I had that about the fever thing and bought more seeds!! I thought I post here as the LA discussion has gone to plants I brought a couple back inside to do under lights, they were to small the constant cold wet weather.When I saw some root fungus starting I brought them in and sulpher dipped their earth. Being explained to me the hard way why so many spring outdoors start their seeds.
I have a had a time remembering some things ,only as long as I manage half or more of the ones I have indoors I am feeling way ahead , although I would be delighted (and prefer) all and every one to survive. Most will anyway. Yes I am hearing a few chickens before they have hatched there>

Oh Well live and learn.....

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Juhur, I did that last year due to lack of time to put them in the ground during late spring. Whatever survive outside this winter survive.

Thumbnail by HazelCrestMikeB
Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

I'll bet those seedlings will be fine, Mike. I hope you get to see a lot bloom next year. It'll be like Christmas!

Karen

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Karen thanks for the support. LOL!

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

I think so also, that will be more colorful than a box of rainbow skittles. Those little plants only have to be a couple of inches tall with a little root crown to survive,tough plant a Daylily is.
That is from with experience with my older unknowns, new plants are somewhat different ,only still strong.
I really do wish I knew what my unknown peach yellow was(or is) it has a larger bloom and has made up to 9 seeds pods ,5 to 7 about usual though. (I LIKE IT!!)

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

The flower in the pic is nice looks like Annettes magic x Willa Mae but I bet it is newer still. A clue?

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Inimitable, opening up on a cold morning. Got this one last year. It rebloomed last year and this year here in Z:5

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Re- bloomers are nice.. that is a pretty one! Ever blooming- up and coming in number are making me wait and wonder!!

This message was edited Mar 3, 2015 11:41 PM

Thumbnail by Thumbnail by Thumbnail by Thumbnail by Thumbnail by

This message was edited Mar 3, 2015 11:42 PM

Thumbnail by Thumbnail by Thumbnail by

This message was edited Mar 3, 2015 11:43 PM

Thumbnail by Thumbnail by Thumbnail by Thumbnail by Thumbnail by
Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Blomma, the third one is my fav. Nice!

Mike, that one has very wide petals. I love the 1st and 2nd ones and will see how they do next season. The 2nd one had very fertile pollen that seemed to pollinate every flower I crossed it with. I didn't try to pollinate it since it was its maiden blooms.

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

I like that third one as well. It has my vote.

Karen

Thanks Mike and Sharon

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

Blooma, thanks for posting all the good information about seeds. I just bought my first daylily seeds and I was browsing for information.
Your seedlings look very healthy and you sure have a lot going on, to me anyway. What is the name of the little green house shelf system you have?
Love that red flower with the wide petals.

susan

Virginia,
Don't remember the name of it but bought it in a Dollar store. Ebay have it for the same price and free ship. Just search "plant stand".

Portsmouth, VA(Zone 8a)

WhooHoo!! .. thanks. :)

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Nice seedlings, very healthy looking.

I was just over seeing if anyone had left me any of Jamies seeds that were up today. Thats a big negative. Ive got my fingers crossed he has alot more where those came from.

I can plant seeds from now thru next august and they will all bloom at the same time...spring 2014. The ones I planted this august are actually looking really nice. Hope to get something good this spring. I wasnt so jazzed about this springs batch.

This message was edited Mar 3, 2015 11:48 PM

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Okay this is the thread where we were talking about the white leaf seedlings that die eventually . I have one of those(white leaves) and something interesting? has occurred.
The seeds sprouted on top of soil so the roots can be seen (antennae looking roots) have sprouted a small green root leaf?So now the seedling will be making chlorophyll,interesting this is to me anyway, a wait and see...
A secret AH ..HA!!! maybe? A chance to learn something? oh yes!!! , I enjoy that!!

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Juhur7, I must say that I enjoy reading your comments. With 15°f outside I must find something to do indoors to keep me sane. Oh yes! The to do list! Exploring the never before seen plants and gardening ideas on the internet. Oh yea, DW is watching, can't do that. LOL! Now where is the to do list ? Happy New Year everyone. May all your flowers bloom in 2013 with reckless abandon. May your health allow you to keep up with all the joys of life. Mike

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Will be interested to see how your seedling does, juhur7.

Mike that's a pretty daylily. Which one is it? Reminds me of AUTUMN WOOD.

Karen

Hazel Crest, IL(Zone 5a)

Karen you are one of the smartest person I know. You are right again

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.