What is your favorite type of indoor plant?

(Zone 7a)
There are a total of 87 votes:

Flowering plants (primulas, african violets, etc.)
(15 votes, 17%)
Red dot

Cacti and succulents.
(11 votes, 12%)
Red dot

Tropical foliage plants.
(28 votes, 32%)
Red dot

Ferns.
(2 votes, 2%)
Red dot

Dwarf fruit trees.
(3 votes, 3%)
Red dot

Other? (tell us!)
(15 votes, 17%)
Red dot

No indoor plants for me!
(13 votes, 14%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I voted "other" I love them all, I wish I had more indoor space for them

Pretoria, South Africa

I don't do indoor plants.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

I vote for "cacti & succulents"...

Kenmore, NY(Zone 6a)

I love them all!

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Tropical hibiscus and meezo.

Concord, CA(Zone 9b)

What I'd like to be able to keep alive indoors and what will actually cooperate are two different birds...er...plants. I'd love to have tropicals and ferns and orchids. Instead I have several pothos and a sickly palm and...a couple of other totally bland growies.

Magnolia, TX(Zone 9a)

My indoor plants don't get enuff light nor heat- 60* caves to keep out 109* days just doesn't keep a plant healthy. The indoor plants I have are well dried and/or stored in jars with lids (herbs). My vote was no indoor plants.

Phutthamonthon, Thailand(Zone 10b)

I voted other because I prefer scented plants like jasmine.

Perth, United Kingdom(Zone 7b)

Cacti, though I keep my cacti outside in the summer to get better light. They're also quite easy to raise from seed on a windowsill.

Thumbnail by DMersh
Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

I chose "other'. I love tall ficus trees, giant monsteras vines clinging to a support, and myriad philodendrons designs with leaves of ever conceivable shape and colors ranging from bright, spring green to bright red and on to a deep, dark red black. I love Chinese Evergreens, diffenbachias, and really pretty much every tropical plant nature has given us. I am also quite fascinated by cacti & succulents, love the bold, statuesque appearance of tall, multibranching columnar cacti like some cerius varieties. I also love many other members of the cacti & succulent group, love aloes, agaves, and echeverias, each statuesque in its on way. At the same time, I love the gracefully arching beauty of large, verdant ferns dripping down between the various trees and vines growing upward, together forming a sort of living window cover.

In addition to all of this I have a special weakness for African Violets and episcias, especially the ones with unique, multicolor, ruffled, & variegated leaves in shades like green, yellow green, yellow, pink, red, & tan.. While I only have a few large philodendrons at present - and keep them outside year round, pot and all - at one time I had amassed enough for a veritable 'green' wall of large plants growing up from the floor interspersed with ferns and vines draping down from the ceiling. At that same time, I had a large collection of African Violets perched on glass shelves suspended before full length windows in a small dinning room with sky lights and celling to floor windows on 3 of 4 sides, a perfect home for light loving violets. These days, for now at least, I've moved my plant operations out of doors where I grow the usual outdoor varieties like roses, hydrangeas, lilies, and so on. Bottom line, while I don't currently have that huge group of indoor plants anymore, I am still unable to choose between tropicals, cacti, and gesneriads. I need them all.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

I voted tropical foliage because that is what I have most luck with. Ficus benjamina, several different Draecena, Sanseveria, Pilea, Orchids, Palms, and a Ming Aralia, just to name a few. Though I do also have a couple of African Violets that are doing better than I expected them to. LOVE having an indoor garden!

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

I don't have indoor plants. Just no room for them, darn!!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

The questions is not, IF you have any indoor plants but "what is your favorite?" If you could have them, would you? and what kind?

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

To me, nothing beats philodendron giganteum. Give it some light, some water and some fertilizer and it just grows. Gotta love it. OK, as its name implies, it gets BIG, but one shouldn't need a magnifying glass to see your plants.

Sylvain.

Somerset, KY(Zone 6b)

There was a catagory for "No houseplants" and that's what I choose. But if that doesn't count than I guess I'll by pass voting for anything from now on.

Alba, TX(Zone 8a)

Sansevieria's or mother-in-law's tongue. I have a wierd fascination for those in various forms. Easy to grow and my grandmother loved them, too.

Southern Dutchess Co, NY(Zone 5b)

I voted "other". I have favorites in all those categories.

Anderson, IN(Zone 6a)

Tropical foliage only there are a couple of cactus here. if there was room for more,there would be more.

Cedarhome, WA(Zone 8b)

I have abysmal luck with indoor plants, but keep trying. I mainly stick with inexpensive tropical foliage plants and hope for the best...over and over again.

Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

i pickled other because i can not pick just one, LOL! i need to have a little of each!

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

I voted "other" as the best sellers are the low maintenance plants. ZZ Plant (Zamioculcas zamiifolia), Aglaonema, Corn Plant (Dracaena fragrans 'Massangeana'), Dracaena fragrans 'Warneckei', Golden Pothos (Epipremnum aureum), etc. People don't want to be bothered with high-maintenance plants.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

You've got a point there growin, but personally I like some of the challenges. These for example, can be very frustrating at times. :-)

Thumbnail by tlm1 Thumbnail by tlm1 Thumbnail by tlm1
Cascade, VA(Zone 7a)

great job on the orchids, after the blooms are done, i can never seem to get them to do it again, and i am just stuck a leafy plant most of the time, but thats better than killing it, right? lol :)

Kure Beach, NC(Zone 9a)

I voted "Other" because I do have a few plants that stay in all the time (cuban oregano and a few succulents), most of my plants spend part of the year outside. In the Winter, I have palms (metallic, balloon and fishtail), a couple of philodendron, and citrus (key lime, mexican thornless, Clementine) in the Sun room. I do have a greenhouse, so they could go in there, but I like the green in the bleak days of Winter.
Barb

Dearborn Heights, MI(Zone 6a)

Orchids!

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

Whatever is hard to kill; like mother in-law's tongue or devil's ivy. I don't actually have them at home because of the cats, but I keep them at work.

Edgewater, FL(Zone 9a)

Every plant that is happy indoors is welcome!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.