Calla Lily seeds.

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

I finally found some Cally Lily seeds in a trade,(or should I say a seed pod) now I need to know what to do with it? It is a whole seed pod and it is still green. I know that I have to let it dry out first, but then what?? do I need to plant it now? in the house? or outside in the ground? Please tell me...I have always wanted some of these and now that I have them I don't want to mess them up.
TIA
Mollybee

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

When I had a seed pod on one of mine, I ended up opening it up a little because I was anxious to see how many seeds were inside of it. There were gobs of them. I let it sit for a while but was worried that it might rot, so I pulled the seeds out of it. I let them dry and then before planting, I peeled them if I remember right or maybe they were the ones I just nicked. Anyway, be prepared for them to take a while to come up. I planted six seeds, I remember that, and all six of them came up. It took about six weeks for them to pop through the soil and several months before they had several leaves. Guess I can't tell you what happened after that because I sent them home with my daughter to plant and then she moved.

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

When I recieved the seed pod it was hard and firm, so I layed it out on a paper plate so it would finish drying. Now that I look at it, it is soft like each one of the individual seeds are moveable. I broke them all apart and now have them laying out to dry that way. I surely hope this works. I think I am going to do some more net searches just to be on the safe side.
Thanks Brugie!

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

That is what I did with mine. I think I still have some of those seeds. Might see if they are still viable.

Shirley

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

Shirley, I think I am just going to experiment with my seeds, b/c I can't really get any solid info on the how to's of planting them. but I will have to let them dry out first and that seems to be taking 4ever! LOL

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Me again,

Yes, they do take a while to dry. I didn't have any info when I tried it either, but have always heard to plant a seed twice as deep as the seed is tall. I just had them on a table in the house that had morning sun only. They might germinate faster with heat, I just don't know. I guess the way everyone learned in the beginning was by just taking the plunge to find out.

Good luck.

Shirley

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

hee hee now it's me again!
I too have heard that you plant a seed twice the depth as it's size. So that is probably what I will do, as soon as they dry out good. Also I thought about putting some in wet paper towels and seeing if they will sprout out that way. I have done many a seeds that way, so maybe it will work for the Calla seeds too. Let me know if you have any new ideas or info that I can use here.
Thanks
Mollybee

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Mollybee, maybe this too late but ....Thompson&Moragan's backyard gardner database http://www.backyardgardener.com/tm.html says to soak them over night (you might want to chip the seed coat if it's hard) and surface sow in a peaty, moist soil at 70-80º. Germination is 30-60 days. Make sure they don't dry out. I have some calla lily seeds too that I got in a trade.

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

Thaks ALOT Poppysue!! That was a great big help! Just so has it that I still haven't done anything to my seeds just yet. But maybe after I read a little more on this link, I can get them started.
I have been waiting on them to "dry out" but for some reason, they don't seem to be drying out like I would have thought. They still have a soft feel to them, but after reading the link you sent, I figured out that I have to pull that casing off of them. So Thanks Again!
Mollybee

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.